Which company will build.......- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Which company will build.......

The first production dh oriented 29er? Do you think it will ever happen?
    I know there have been prototypes, any secret projects out there? Any projections on who would be the first????
    I'm GNARcissistic

For The Win
    Slow is cool too, right?

RideDirt
    Hmm hard to say , but im not a 29er fan :/ .. I like my 26 inch wheels

Uphill? What's that
    There's a place for 29ers.. but I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages when it comes to dh and 29ers.

mtbr member
    I've never seen that Lenz, I guess I'm behind the times!

Let's stay on topic RobBob, aedubber, I don't want this to be a discussion about weather there should be a DH 29er rather, is it inevitable? This sport is always changing
    Last edited by Demodude; 04-09-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    I'm GNARcissistic

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Who would have thought that they'd go to carbon fiber DH bikes? Surely 29er DH rigs may soon be a regular fixture at races.

EDIT:
    Oh and I bet Trek will be the first ones to do it.

mtbr member
    I guess I'm intrigued which "large" company will make one a part of their regular lineup.
    I'm GNARcissistic

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
    I've never seen that Lenz, I guess I'm behind the times!

Let's stay on topic RobBob, aedubber, I don't want this to be a discussion about weather there should be a DH 29er rather, is it inevitable? This sport is always changing
    It just seems to me that the larger companies probably won't produce a 29er dh bike until they see a large demand for one..you will probably see a few of the smaller companies that want to make a name for themselves put them out first (like lenz). I know trek and Santa Cruz have already had prototypes made, but both of those companies have not commited to put anything into production .

DownhillBAWS
    ive seen a 20er 951 online before

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
    is it inevitable?
    Inevitable? No way. Downhill is already a very small niche of mountain biking, which in itself is a small niche in cycling as a whole. The downhill crowd is much more DJ/FR-oriented than roadie/XC, which is where the whole 29'er thing came from.

I doubt anyone would sell enough of those things to justify the cost of producing them.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not enough interest from DHers. Most interest has been from 29er riders.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You'll see a smattering of offerings from companies like lenze, and intense. And you can bet your ass that specalized and trek have them going on behind the scenes (I think I've already seen one from trek). Fox was just testing a USD fork, and marzo is reintroducing the shiver. Everybody is setting up for a "just in case" right now.

But I honestly don't see it becoming mainstream anytime soon, because racers (and people who win races) are typically what drives people to want certain types of bikes. Nobody would have wanted a bike with a 13.5 bb and a 63 degree HA 10 years ago, but once a few top racers started winning on them, everybody had to have one. 26 inch wheeled DH bicycles are incredibly refined right now, and the biggest changes you see are incremental. It will take an incredibly amount of R&D to get 29er DH bikes up to the same point, and with a smaller market (a 7 or 8 inch 29er DH bike simply does not make sense for somebody who is 5'8", which is only slightly below avg), sales force driving such R&D will be lower.

And lets be honest - most DHers have pretty short careers. If we're being honest here, there are probably only 5-10 guys who have any chance whatsoever of winning a WC in a given year, probably 2-3 of them will take home 90% of the wins. If the avg career for a top level DH racer is 8 years, why would they risk missing 2 of those years relearning a bicycle with completely different ride characteristics, no guaranteed payoff of actually managing to be competitive, and a bicycle that is nowhere near as balanced or refined.

We wont see greg minnaar, aaron gwin, hill, smith, atherton, winning on a 29er any time soon, because who's willing to risk 1/4 of the career, and maybe more, on something that hasn't been proven? And that will be one of the major sales forces in getting them accepted. Until its proven that people can be fast and competitive on them, they'll remain fringe bikes.

However, stoked that lenz is offering them, and I hope the refinement continues. It would be great to see a proper tire choice for them, because the contact patch is huge, and it'd be epic on the rough/high speed stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0