college?- Mtbr.com

Thread: college?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

college?

so i just got accepted at my top 3 schools, UC Santa Cruz, UC Santa Barbara, and U of British Columbia. All three of the schools have what im looking for as far as an education goes, and UBC is the cheapest, but would require being out of the country, which doesnt really seem like a problem. Basically the decision now hinges on money, riding, skiing, and kayaking. any opinions? also, the warm weather and sun of cali are appealing, since during the school year it rains alot in vancouver, but if the riding isnt there, forget it. anyone have experience with these 3 places? thanks

pwn3rator
    i live in santa barbara. it is the best place in the world imo. we have good riding, good beaches, a small river, the channel islands, isla vista has killer parties, and nice weather. plus my sister just got into uc davis and uc santa barbara. she's still waiting to see where else she got into...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lots of awsome trails around UC Santa Cruz. Also, as a student you would be able to do most legally.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    UBC has whistler and the shore for riding, not to mention tons of skiing and kayaking. UCSB has the sun, the girls, the parties, the beaches, and the riding. UCSC is just like SB, but colder and less expensive with less parties. UBC is also cold as hell in the winter. Also it rains frequently in the winter in SC but not in SB. My vote goes to SB because it is warmer all year round compared to your other choices. But you would be stoked on any of them, because they all have excellent riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    so yeah its kind of a tough choice cause all the places are rad, anyone know the winter riding situation in vancouver? or are the trails too wet most of the time? thanks

Some dude who digs bikes
    All sound awesome, you are set!!!! Personally, I say go big, go UBC. I went away to where I didn't know even 1 person, and it was great to have a totally blank slate socially. Plus, if you are here, you ride....All 3 are fantastic, but not equal, IMHO.

a tight kick sound
    How into kayaking are you and how willing to drive for good white water are you?
    IMO biking wins in Cali just cause it is all year, the rest of the year (not winter) BC kills it!
    BC kills it hands down for kayaking all year round though. SC and SB are nice places but kayaking near there is...ummm...yah! Most fun white water is a good drive away as is the skiing.

I say BC. Kayak BC in the spring and summer, come to PAC NW for kayaking in winter. Ski BC in the winter, bike in WA in winter (XC). DH/FR BC and WA and all others as soon as it gets nice!

Cali is great but...how can you beat those crazy purdy canadian ladies

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    yeah canadian girls are dope for sure, the rain is the only thing that turns me off about ubc, cause the thing is, if money permits, i can always live there in the summer when its nice. i will also have a truck at my disposal throughout college, so how far are we talking for paddling in cali? living in the ville, most good paddling is at least 3 or 4 hours away as is, but im always down for a road trip. also sports wise, biking is top priority, skiing and paddling are second

Equal opportunity meanie
    I'm a graduating senior at UCSB, and while I can't compare it to UBC, I did have it side by side with UCSC and Cal Poly (as well as a couple San Diego and Arizona schools). I wasn't even into mountain biking before I got to Santa Barbara from out of state but we have some of the finest trails around. UCSC does not even compare both in surroundings and in the school. The trails up there are more XC/AM by my standards, but they are fun, just nowhere near as long as the DH stuff here. Year round riding here does indeed kick ass. You're also within striking range of LA and SLO for day trips that both have KILLER spots. For skiing you're about the same distance from anything good as you are in Santa Cruz. In fact, UCSB's Ski/Snowboard club is in contention every year for the All-Cal cup with UCSCs club (both clubs have weekend trips going all the time for super cheap).

As far as kayaking goes, are you looking to do ocean kayaking or whitewater? I can't say SB or SC has anything in terms of whitewater, but there are clubs that make trips throughout the year. Ocean kayaking here is absoluletely amazing though. You also have the Channel Islands which you can hop on a boat to go cave kayaking around for a day.

Also, it isn't even fair to compare the parties at UCSC to those at UCSB....just take my word for that one.

yaha ha
    This is exactly what im thinking. im a junior in hs and up in chico. what were youre grades and SAt like to get into those schools?
    for paddling check out www.cacreeks.com it has a list of most major runs throughout the west. i just got into kayaking last year and was thinking so cal would be horrible looking for any runs because its always so dry. check out dreamflows.com youll see that most so cal creeks are not near runnable as the north is trucking along despite the two weeks without rain.
    but if bikings your priority id say SB because you have it year round as in BC or washington youre waiting for teh downpour to stop- MUCH better for boating and skiing though.

Im considering U Oregon, U west wash, and some others up north, but also really want to make it into SB- which would save a whole lot $$.

my two neighbors(brothers) are up at UBC and love it, they ski seymour every weekend which is a 30 minute drive i think.. probably limited biking in the winter, but if you plan on coming home in the summers (wherever your home is) then you probably wont get much biking in.. fall maybe
    -plus i dont think theyve mountain biked since 8th grade. nor do they kayak so that wasnt really an issue- great skiing though, as you could imagine
    where are you from by the way...

PULL
    I went to UCSB and don't regret it one minute. I was not into biking when I went, just surfing. Girls in bikini's year round down there... that should be enough for ya!

yaha ha
    ya not much kayaking or skiing close by.. i dont know how far bear mtn is.. but im sure its longer than the 2.5 hours to tahoe that already seems like way too much to me
    -defiantly one of the tops for biking and beach

the goose is loose!
    from what i have heard, UCSC is a liberal brain-washing camp. even looking at their broshures tells you that academics isn't their strongest point, they talk nothing of them. it's a liberal arts school basically. UCSB is a bike school. everyone uses a bike to get around there. from what i have seen, looks like some good riding around the hills there too. great academics. UCSB also has some good-lookin women, but Cal Poly SLO has some of the best. what are you majoring in?

Cynical Bystander
    Congrats on getting into UBC, I just got mine this week. I'm facing a similar dilemma except my choices are:
    UBC
    Colorado School of Mines
    Colorado State
    Colorado Univ.

For those saying Vancouver is hella cold in the winter, from what I've heard it's a fairly moderate climate. I seem to recall in years past seeing people from the area posting riding pics in December while we're all snowed in here in CO.

Oh also, what are you planning on studying? I'm sure it's obvious my interest is in engineering (ala mines) but just remember... there's going to be riding at or near all of those schools so in my blasphemous opinion, riding should be secondary to the educational experience and what not. But badass riding/skiing is certainly helpful.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

NATE CORE
    Yeah, Gordon hit the nail on the head in his testimony. The biking all year around is a big plus. But you can also spearfish, lobster dive, parasail, surf, bodyboard, get drunk and play volleyball on East Beach or just sail out to the islands. I'm all about the diving/water scene as well so its definitely Santa Barbara hands down for me.
    you like dags??

Some dude who digs bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by rm_racer
    from what i have heard, UCSC is a liberal brain-washing camp. even looking at their broshures tells you that academics isn't their strongest point, they talk nothing of them. it's a liberal arts school basically. UCSB is a bike school. everyone uses a bike to get around there. from what i have seen, looks like some good riding around the hills there too. great academics. UCSB also has some good-lookin women, but Cal Poly SLO has some of the best. what are you majoring in?
    Yeah, my gf at the time went to UCSC. When she lived on campus it sucked. lots of moping white kids with dreads. But it was cool when she lived in the town. Lots of cool people to hang out with. That made for some good weekends.

a tight kick sound

Looks like you got'er sorted!
    Go for UCSC IMO. Make sure to save some space in that truck for my boat/bike then.
    I am thinking of going there too.

B

yaha ha
    Quote Originally Posted by boone

Looks like you got'er sorted!
    Go for UCSC IMO. Make sure to save some space in that truck for my boat/bike then.
    I am thinking of going there too.

B
    Dude i would take Uoregon anyday over SC. but i know what youre feeling if you want to get out. from what ive heard sc doesnt take you very far..and with that nicolai youre going to want some amazing dh too

Members who have read this thread: 0