coiler+airshock=slopestyle? maybe!- Mtbr.com
    Roll on Spring Time!

coiler+airshock=slopestyle? maybe!

just got a 178mm travel single pivot for my freeride excapades. it seems to close to my coiler in weight especialy with a long travel fork. if i run the coiler with my pike it feels like a nice trail bike and is lighter but not really lite enough with the coil shock and not a good match either. i would really like a SS frame but cant afford one till next year some time(only got the new frame cause it was sweet price off e-bay).
    so, could the coiler be run with an air shock to lighten it up and make it "like" a SS bike. it wont have a low slung seat i know, but what i am thinking is that all the slopestyle bikes with air shocks have different leverage ratios, am i right? i ask cause i see the howlers/bass frames have air cans, as does the versus and wildcard frames. all same linkage setups.
    i have read the down side to air shocks but i am not looking to use it over rough ground even if i use it to trail ride. i would like to make the coiler more "snappy" for sprinting to jumps etc. really it would just be for high speed hits, could i not just run a high psi?
    I just want to ride.

Meh.
    Yes. You can run a Coiler with an air shock to drop some weight. I loved to throw my 2004 Coiler around.

Roll on Spring Time!
    xsl will, just the man i thought might be able to help and i have seen the pics of you throwing you coiler around-respect.
    i like the way the coiler jumps but it seems to ride best when its rolling fast. trouble is, its a pig to get up to speed and i think a lot of that has to do with the rear squish as well as the weight. when i run it with mt 170mm 66 it feels so nice and it looks kinda like a SS rig but it just doesnt feel tight like SS are described. if i can get it to feel right then i can hold off on a SS investment which would take off some financial pressure but i am liking the wildcard and BR.
    any recommendations on air shocks that would work well, preferably like the marz and pearls as they are well priced. the pearl is described as and aggresive air shock, even if it can be serviced.
    I just want to ride.

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    coiler + air shock = coilAIR

Roll on Spring Time!
    yip but mixed reviews of the coil air for the intended purpose of the coilers. i am trying to use it for a more specific type of ride, i am also wanting to avoid going dhx. if i spend to much then i may as well sell the frame and wait till i can get the SS i want. any recommendations of shocks would be great however. cheers
    I just want to ride.

Meh.
    The DHX lacks midstroke support. I think something with a platform would be good for you. Maybe the Manitou ISX or the Swinger Air.

I have not had any ride time on the Pearl, though I've heard it's pretty good.

What's the rest of your build look like?

mtbr member
    The DHX air is great once you have it set up right and shim the air sleeve.

StraightOuttaCompton
    sounds sick, worth giving a try.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

moaaar shimz
    Id go ISX:6... is there a Magura Huggin' that size for the Coiler?

EastBaySteez
    Rockshox makes some good air shox.
    But people overlook them....
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

moaaar shimz
    Monarch maybe, when it becomes available..

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Monarch maybe, when it becomes available..
    Im running a RS Pearl 3.1 on my 7point.
    No complaints here.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Roll on Spring Time!
    at the mo my coiler is fitted with a 170mm 66 rc2x and dhx 3 coil. i have been playing with the dhx and found i can get it to run sweet on the trails but like i said it seems to make the bike sluggish and heavy when i want to use it for sprinting around. the 66 up front feels awesome. i have tried a lyrik and 36 rc2x but the 66 is the best feel and i like the longer fork shorter rear travel set up. my component spec is light but strong and with the 66 it comes in at 37 lb. my only other fork is a u-turn coil pike. fitted to the coiler it makes the ride crisper but not as confidence inspring as the 66, plus it doesnt feel like it matches the rear shock. my gut feel is a tighter air shock would suit the pike better. if i run it like this then i would use it as a dirt jumping mini slopestyle with the option of the 66. with more cash later on i may look at a 160mm fork possibly the domain.
    at the mo i think i would like to give the pearl a try but it will only happen in the new year so will give feedback then.
    SS frames seem to be coming out at 6.1"sh travel so me thinks the coiler might work. the only thing that puts me off SS bikes are the really low seat tubes. i would still like to use my bike for trails etc and i dont ever see myself tailwipping etc. i like SS frames cause they jump well and are described as tight and snappy so if i could get the coiler to feel similar and have the 18" seat tube then i will be stoked. plus i already got the bike,lol.
    thanks for all the feedback and help.
    I just want to ride.

Meh.
    If the DHX 3 has a Boost Valve you can try and pump air in until it maxes out. You can also give a few more turns of preload. Or swap on a stiffer spring.

For general jumping, the Coiler will be a fine rig. Tables, whips, spins (if you get good) are all very doable on a Coiler. There are some slopestyle dudes killing it on a Coiler.

Slopestyle Rider
    My friend is running a '05 coiler with an air shock... he loves it as his slopestyle bike. he threw a 5.5" fork up front and it seems to be a pretty nimble setup.

Roll on Spring Time!
    xsl will- i have been playing around with pressures and only now am i starting to really feel the difference when i ride. i think it has taken me ages to tune into my fully. i havent run max psi in a while as i have been using my bike on fast runs and the softer squish has felt bang on. i usualy run 120-150psi when i know i am gonna work on some new stuff and expect heavier landings. will try 180-200psi when i get back home on the weekend.

any recommendations on air pressure if i get an air can? i am assuming for slopestyle the 25% rule is not as relevant as with trail/DH etc.
    i have always had coil front and back. can i expect coil up front to feel odd with air out back? i dont plan on investing in an air fork and both my current forks are coil.

joelalamo45-any idea what shock your bud was using?
    I just want to ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0