Code R v. Elixir?- Mtbr.com
    Ancient Chinese Secret

Code R v. Elixir?

For DH? My guess is the Code is the stronger brake, but is there really that much of a difference? The calipers look exactly the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Code has 4 pistons vs. Elixir has 2. I've heard the Elixir works pretty good, but don't have direct experience with them. I do have the Code 5s and I really like them. Always solid one finger braking performance even on the steepest stuff. Compared to the Juicy 5s I used to have it's way less effort. Given that the cost difference isn't that big I'd recommend the Codes for DH.

mtbr member
    no contest codes are 10x better. I have raced with both; if you need to stop your gonna be pulling a lot harder with the elixers and modulation is going to suck. You could prolly get by with elixers if you're a skinny lil guy though. Also Elixer levers and code caliper are pretty a pretty decent combo
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    Been very happy with Code Rs.....

I fix choppers
    Code R's work like a charm...great modulation, tons of power, no fade and can be found rather inexpensively. I have the 2011's and they rule.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

Glad to Be Alive
    less maintenance....get the Saints
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    no one asked anything about saints...

I have had both on my DH rig, I put the elixirs on my trail bike, they work great there, I would never want to go away from the code r's again. I feel I am reasonably quick, grab brakes enough to definitely make the elixirs fade and the codes haven't had a hiccup yet. I weigh 180 as well, I guess 190 with gear, to be safe?! on a 38lb bike.

I have made a few runs on saints, they are very touchy, seem to work well and do have a great following, not just shiver... hehe. I really like the modulation of my codes though, I also feel they are very predictable, I was able to get a feel for them very easily, broke in quick too.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    +1 for Code R's, they do what they should.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Swell Guy View Post
    For DH? My guess is the Code is the stronger brake, but is there really that much of a difference? The calipers look exactly the same.
    i did my 2010 northstar season on elixirs with the 203mm rotors - and they worked very good, but ate pads fast, three sets to be exact. so, this year i got some saints and.......very big difference, they never feel stressed like the elixirs did sometimes. so, i know the saints aren't what you're asking about, but as a comparison between 2-piston and 4-piston calipers, the 4-pistons make big difference in controlled braking with less effort.

mtbr member
    Code Rs are Code 4 piston calipers with Elixir master cylinder/lever bodies. They don't have the internal sealed bearing in the lever body or pad contact adjust like the more expensive Code. They're a solid option if you don't care about the pad contact adjust. They're a tiny bit weaker than the Code due to the different master cylinder, but not by much. They both use the same dual diameter 4 piston calipers.

Also useful to note that Straitline lever upgrades for the Elixirs work with Code Rs if you decide to upgrade your levers. The Code levers are only for the full on Codes.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    less maintenance....get the Saints
    i have saints on my front. im mildly disappointed. its decent 1 finger braking for smoother stuff, but once you rally need to stop im always reaching with another finger and pulling hard. i prefer a touchier brake though. the modulation is good though. just not grabby enough for me. it takes too much work to get the brake to fully grab for me

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    New Hayes Prime work just has good as Codes, maybe better, and cheaper

Oh, So Interesting!
    I have Elixirs on both dh and trail bikes and they work fine with 203/203 and 203/185 rotors respectively. Elixirs seem borderline too small with the dh bike, but I haven't had any issues... I've had them smoking a few times but they haven't faded much. To the poster with fast pad wear, make sure you're getting the semi-metallic pads, they wear slower but a lot of shops sell organics because they are quieter, but organics don't last long enough. Wouldn't mind picking up some Code calipers for the dh bike at some point...

Slap happy crappiness
    I've run both on my DH bikes; both old Codes, current Elixirs, and current Codes. The Elixirs were fine for all the riding I did. This included Angelfire, Mammoth, Mt. Snow, Diablo, and countless local hills. They never really faded on me, and I'm a big guy. They never made me feel like I needed more brake. But, when compared to the Codes, there is a notable difference in stopping power and feel. The Codes are just more powerful, which offers a better control IMO. That being said, I'd still not hesitate to run Elixirs on my bike, but I'd prefer Codes.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    I have Elixirs on both dh and trail bikes and they work fine with 203/203 and 203/185 rotors respectively. Elixirs seem borderline too small with the dh bike, but I haven't had any issues... I've had them smoking a few times but they haven't faded much. To the poster with fast pad wear, make sure you're getting the semi-metallic pads, they wear slower but a lot of shops sell organics because they are quieter, but organics don't last long enough. Wouldn't mind picking up some Code calipers for the dh bike at some point...
    if you're replying to me about pad wear, don't worry about it i'm using saints now. the pads i had in my elixers were the stock sintered type pads which have the longest wear and best bite of any of the avid pads. but being used hard on a dh bike they can wear quick because they are just physically smaller than the code or saint pads. if i'd been using semi-met's, let alone organics, i'd have replaced a lot of pads. as it was i replaced a few sets over an entire summer of dh, riding nearly every weekend, often more than one day on those weekends. that's actually not bad wear for an all-mountain/xc brake pad!

banned
    Sep 2007
    I currently have Code R's, replaced my Juicy 7 Carbon, I will be putting my 7's back on. The first set of Codes had a bad rear master cylinder,brand new, and the fronts had a very spongy feel to them. I thought it was just a bad bleed. I returned for a new set, same problem, the rear lever pulls so far in that it hits your knuckles. I am sure the regular Code is better since it has the pad adjustment.

mtbr member
    Running elixirs on the sxt and love em. I have formula the ones on the dh bike and there's definently a difference but I wouldn't hesitate to rock the elixirs on the dh bike and feel comfortable doing it.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Pee's in the H8teraid

Elixir v. Code.

I must have the best set of cheap Elixir's (R's) on the planet from all the horror stories posted about Avid brakes.
    2 seasons old, have had multiple pad changes,not ever bled, no fluid changes. been crashed, smashed, skewered, buncha days at N*, blah, blah
    I have not had a single problem with them.
    They work so well, I stole them off of my SX Trail and stuck them on my Demo.
    They work very well for Downhill with mostly 1 finger braking but I would like full time 1 finger braking so I'm going to give the topline Codes a shot and pray I have the same reliability I've enjoyed thus far with my cheap Elixirs.

mtbr member
    My FR came with Saints but l flip-flop my levers (right front, left rear) --- Saints aren't ambidextrous and l didn't feel like swappin' housing, re-bleeding so l just sold em to a buddy of mine and put Codes on it. l had have Codes on several bikes before -- yes, l had a couple levers go bad on me (e.g. no return) but SRAM hooked me up with replacements at no charge. Sold the Codes a while back. Been rockin' the Elixer CR's for a while now. plenty of braking power if you ask me. 40lbs bike, +/- 210lbs rider all suited up. CR's are quite a bit nicer than the standard issue Elixers.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...