Cmon I need a fork for my FLY!!!- Mtbr.com
    telemarc
    Jan 2005

Cmon I need a fork for my FLY!!!

I have a Foes Fly (small) coming this week and am considering which fork to put on it. I have a 66 rc but feel it may be too tall. The 05 Fly has 8" or 9" travel settings but the 66 is only 7" and has a 23.5" Axle to crown height. . Any ideas?Anybody running this fork?

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    I see what the 66 would be like and if it doesn't work out go with a 888. You want the bike to feel balanced and although having only an inch less travel in the front won't really set it off it my mess up the steering. I would consult with ur LBS to see what sag of a fork will work best on ur Fly and if the 66 will do the job. Good Luck

RIDE TO LIVE&LIVE TO RIDE
    i have a sweet new 888 that you should buy. click the link in the signature.

Beyond the stars

Don't buy his, buy mine . . .

2 bills cheaper so if you don't like it, you can get something else!

Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker
    2 bills cheaper so if you don't like it, you can get something else!
    yeah but mine has never been ridden and is totally new '05 888RC. it's absoultely perfect condition.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    if you are looking at an 888, definitely go with an 05 888RC. The 888RRs have lower end damping cartridges. I personally like Shivers on Foes Flys, i have an 02 Fly with an 02 shiver and it keeps the head angle at a really nice position.
    pay me

Beyond the stars

Buzzz! Wrong, thanks for playing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    The 888RRs have lower end damping cartridges.
    The RRs have the exact same HSCV catridge in (1) one leg and a lower-end SSVF in the other (really just a Super-T without that crappy QR-20 junk) and can be upgraded to an R with a cartridge!

so, lets see . . .

New Super-T . . . what, say around $500

Used R (even if it's "new in the box" it's still used unless you buy it from a retail store) $800

New Shiver . . . at least $1000

or a used Shiver . . . if you can find one, who knows cost and condition, but say about $500

or a used RR than can be upgraded to an R . . .

or maybe there is something else out there that would work better, like say a Boxxer U-Ride?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sorry, chuck...

The RRs have the exact same HSCV catridge in (1) one leg and a lower-end SSVF in the other (really just a Super-T without that crappy QR-20 junk) and can be upgraded to an R with a cartridge!

or a used RR than can be upgraded to an R . . .
    You make lots of sense. 888RC's have completely different moto cartridges with compression adjustments. HCSV carts like the ones in the shiver have adjustable rebound but no compression adjustment. So, you would have to throw out both cartridges and replace them with two new 888RC cartridges if you wanted to upgrade a 888RR to an 888RC. But, that's really cost efficient . I'd much rather go for an 888RC than an 888RR then have to upgrade the cartridges. New cartridges would be $300 at the minimum. Plus the 05 decals are super cool.
    Last edited by MD Bullit; 05-16-2005 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    pay me

Beyond the stars

OOOOOh, I get it now . . .

You make lots of sense.
    I know, it kills me how smart I am, thanks.

888RC's have completely different moto cartridges with compression adjustments.
    No, you are wrong!! on the rebound side the RR and the R or RC are the SAME on the compression side the RR has a "dummy" (like you) cartridge, sometimes called a SSV but really just a spring.

HCSV carts like the ones in the shiver have adjustable rebound but no compression adjustmentSo, you would have to throw out both cartridges and replace them with two new 888RC cartridges if you wanted to upgrade a 888RR to an 888RC. But, that's really cost efficient
    Again, you are WRONG, look at Marz site and check your information!

Plus the 05 decals are super cool.
    yea, that's it . . . and stickers make it FASTER too!

"MD" stands for major dumba$$ . . . or maybe just Massivly uninformed Dork, either way you should check your information before responding . . .

I would guess the original poster doesn't care what me and the other guy are selling, and for the most part it was a joke (I didn't think the guy would really want to buy my fork anyway, because NOBODY seems to want 888s right now, doesn't matter what year, level, whatever . . I really do know what I'm talking about because I have done the research, made the calls, and taken the forks apart, why do I know, well . . .

I know that the 888RR and RC are the same HSCV cartridges because . . . I talked to Marz. to confirm . . . because I wanted to Upgrade MY RR to an R and I checked the parts and prices and NO the cartridges do not cost $300. Me being the "I want it now!" kinda guy I am I found a 04' R new for $850 with no shipping from Jenson, so I got it and am trying to sell my RR.

Ok, so having ridden both the 04' RR and the R (which is the same as the 05' RC by the way) I can tell you there is not much noticable difference . . . Should I have just kept my RR and saved my money . . . maybe, but I wanted a new "toy" and so that is what I did

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    New Shiver . . . at least $1000
    You might want to check around on that pricing, my man.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

telemarc
    Jan 2005

You are all missing the point

The point is I think the 66 may be too tall so i'm looking for some guidance into whether this is true or what other fork i could replace it with. It is exactly the same height as a 888 with stock crowns.

Beyond the stars

ok, I'm sooooo waaaaay off on this one . . .

James, I hate to bust your chops, but "you might want to update your web site" my man if I'm OFF, it's only because YOU haven't posted the correct information . . .

Jordan fades back . . . he shoots . . . he scores at the buzzer . . and thats the game!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

hope you have an appetite...

...since you should be eating your words.
    Copied straight from the Marzocchi site
    Specs for the 2005 888RC:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=products-specs-td-scuro width="35%">DAMPING SYSTEM</TD><TD class=products-specs-td-2005-dh width="65%">
    • Hydraulic Cartridge w/HSCV
    • Open Bath
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=products-specs-td-scuro width="35%">ADJUSTABILITY</TD><TD class=products-specs-td-2005-dh width="65%">
    • PL/C/R
    • MX Type Preload Clip Adjustment
    • MX Cartridges Design w/External Compression (30) Click
    • Adjustment
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Specs for the 2004 888RR:
    <TABLE class=products-specs-td-sfondo cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=products-specs-td-chiaro vAlign=top><TD width="18%">
    Damping system
    </TD><TD>

1 side: hydraulic cartridge with HSCV Open bath
    1 side: SSV

</TD></TR><TR class=products-specs-td-scuro vAlign=top><TD width="18%">Adjustability</TD><TD>PL/R
    1 side: cartridge for rebound adjustment; internal preload adjustment</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    pay me

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    wouldn't that effectively lower the price to $880? That $120 credit can get you some good stuff from Go-Ride.
    pay me

Glad to Be Alive
    Shivers work nice on those or a 7 inch 888
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2005
    get a 40 rc2 they are awsome forks and have a lot of adjustment on them. they weigh just under 7 pounds to.

Beyond the stars

maybe you just need to ask a different question . .

Quote Originally Posted by telemarc
    The point is I think the 66 may be too tall so i'm looking for some guidance into whether this is true or what other fork i could replace it with. It is exactly the same height as a 888 with stock crowns.
    Try something like this . . .

What is the axel to crown measurement for a 7 inch Marz. 66RC?

If it is "X" than what forks are there with an axel to crown measurement that is less than "X" and will work on my Foes Fly (what year Fly is it?) and is it going to be used mostly for FR type of stunts and riding up, or DH and huckin'?

Beyond the stars

No, not really . . .

wouldn't that effectively lower the price to $880? That $120 credit can get you some good stuff from Go-Ride.
    'cause you still have to take the grand out of your pocket and you MUST spend it at Go-Ride . . .

yes, you can get good stuff at Go-Ride, but it doesn't matter how you slice it . . . you spent $1,000.00.

Now if they gave you the $120 back in cash, well that would be different, or if they gave you a $120 discount, and only charged you the $880 that would be ok too . . .

but NO . . . this is the same logic that says the stickers make it faster/cooler/sicker . . .

Beyond the stars

ok, what we need here is some real information . . .

I say the 04' 888R and the 05' 888RC are the same (yes this is what I am saying) . . .

What we need is Brian P., who works at Marz. to confirm or disprove this information . . .

when he comes on and tells me they are different, I'll believe it . . .

yes from the information about the two years posted on the Marz. site they look different.

and when "I" talked to Marz. they said they were the same (except for some minor changes in the axel bolts and stickers).

I understand the difference between the 04' 888R and 888RR and we both agree on that right?

for 04' the R has both Rebound and Compression cartridges, and the RR has ONLY the Rebound cartridge.

here is what I was told, in 05' nothing changed but the name to make it less confusing "RC" for Rebound, Compression

from the logic standpoint, why would they re-design the cartridges from one year to the next? When was the last time they re-designed to Shiver cartridges? How about any of the other cartridges? Granted they do re-design the cartridges every few years or so, but the 888 cartridges are are for the (in 04') brand new line, so again WHY re-design the cartridges one year after a very, very successful product introduction?

ok, sure italians do some strange things, but from a business standpoint, just doesn't make sense!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    'cause you still have to take the grand out of your pocket and you MUST spend it at Go-Ride . . .

yes, you can get good stuff at Go-Ride, but it doesn't matter how you slice it . . . you spent $1,000.00.

Now if they gave you the $120 back in cash, well that would be different, or if they gave you a $120 discount, and only charged you the $880 that would be ok too . . .

but NO . . . this is the same logic that says the stickers make it faster/cooler/sicker . . .
    might as well spend it at Go-Ride rather than jenson or cambria. Support the shop that rides...
    pay me

gnar, brah
    You are all missing the point...he needs a RockShox SID. At just under 3 pounds you can't go wrong. If anyone would like to challenge my logic, bring it on. [/sarcasm]
    Trestle Bike Park

banned

if you are using a curnutt

then I would look into Foes XTD, they compliment each other well (both Curnutt suspension). I have an XTD on an older Fly, and I like it better than the 888, shiver, and the old Foes f1. It may kick out the front a bit, but that adds stability. If you have the $$, go for the Foes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    then I would look into Foes XTD, they compliment each other well (both Curnutt suspension). I have an XTD on an older Fly, and I like it better than the 888, shiver, and the old Foes f1. It may kick out the front a bit, but that adds stability. If you have the $$, go for the Foes.
    werd... The XTD fork is incredibly well matched to the XTD shock (that would make sense). If you have the cash to drop on a new Foes frame, definitely go the whole way and get an XTD fork. You won't regret it. Plus it makes cool sounds when it compresses
    pay me

gnar, brah
    werd... The XTD fork is incredibly well matched to the XTD shock (that would make sense). If you have the cash to drop on a new Foes frame, definitely go the whole way and get an XTD fork. You won't regret it. Plus it makes cool sounds when it compresses
    ~$2000 for the fork/hub/rotor. That is a serious wad. If you have the cash though....
    Trestle Bike Park

banned

$1600

in the mtbr for sale section....

Buckx delux, but they sho is some'in else...

Pro Crastinator
    go for the 66....

Broken and dizzy
    Well, as a Fly owner, I started with a Slider+ and am now riding a 888RC with the full Go-Ride drop crown set up. The Slider+ was nice, but it just never seemed balanced to me, thus the 888. I gotta say I'm much happier now. If you do decide to go with a 888, plan on budgeting for the drop crowns because with the stock Marz set up, you'll be flopping the front end all over the place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

telemarc
    Jan 2005

Thanx surfinguru, Question?

Finally some valuable info. So I guess my 66 will be too tall as it is the same as the 888 Axle to crown. Or is that a 66 on Westcoast huckers bike? How doaes it climb.What size frame do you have? Mine is a small. It is funny, after first telling me 23.5" Axle to crown is too tall I have found out from Foes that the Tast Review bike's they sent out to MBA and Divine this month had 66 RC's on them although they were larges. He said he thought my small frame was too small to handle it.I may run the 66 for this year and then switch to somethin lower next season (travis maybe or Fox 40). It would be nice if they came out with something with a lockout for those long logging road climbs.

whatever is going on with the differences, mine is better because it's brand new.

so please buy my fork.

Broken and dizzy
    Based on that wicked cross-up WCH is doing there, that's a 66. Climbing isn't the best, but what do you expect? Marz doesn't market these forks as stable platform, so if it gets to be too much, I'm not too proud to just push.

FWIW, I'm on a medium, so it sounds like it's your call as to which direction you want to go. Oh and since everyone else seems to be pimping their stuff for sale, I've got a Slider+ if your interested. The 170mm might be just the ticket for a small sized frame.

Slider+ for sale
    Last edited by Surfinguru; 05-17-2005 at 02:39 PM.