Clips vs. Flats- Mtbr.com

Thread: Clips vs. Flats

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Clips vs. Flats

i am on the fence between clips and flats. i do more XC than freeride, but i love hitting drops and jumps. i also ride a little street and park. so far i've been puting clips on for rides, flats for everything else. so whats your oppinion? i really wanna make up my mind.

mtbr member
    Sounds to me like you answered your own question.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What's the point of clips besides pedaling efficiency? Either suffer up the climbs or buy a truck and start shuttling.

Innovate or die!
    wrong-- clipless pedals gives tremendous advantage to bike handling in DH runs. Once you get used to them, you can also unclip and clip in as fast or faster than flat pedals.

Clips make a big difference in DH, and are pretty much mandatory for mtnX.

The question u need to ask is a) am i willing to take the time and commitement to ride clipless all the time? and b) is the added risk and/or loss of confidence worth the payoff?

For most casual DH'ers clipless isn't worth it, but the clips WILL make you a faster rider if you ever want to race.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    wrong-- clipless pedals gives tremendous advantage to bike handling in DH runs. Once you get used to them, you can also unclip and clip in as fast or faster than flat pedals.

Clips make a big difference in DH, and are pretty much mandatory for mtnX.

The question u need to ask is a) am i willing to take the time and commitement to ride clipless all the time? and b) is the added risk and/or loss of confidence worth the payoff?

For most casual DH'ers clipless isn't worth it, but the clips WILL make you a faster rider if you ever want to race.
    I wish I had more time to respond to this.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Innovate or die!
    yup the people that hate clipless most and rag on the idea that you can have same confidence are the ppl that have never got used to them.

Of course, some riders like rennie and go flat for DH, but that is a small amount of the pros, and those guys have skills up the wazzooo. They also use clipless for mountainX.

Like i said, they don;t work for some people, and before you say "thats me" actually try them, because all the people i know that have done it have flipped at the change, just like people that go tubeless do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    I wish I had more time to respond to this.
    Yep, ill take it for ya. Dude, you need to stop making such direct statements. Clips are NOT mandatory for mtx, not even close, not is that even possible to get into clips faster than putting your foot down on a flat surface, thats just ignorant. The main advantage to clippless pedals is pedal effeciency. Some people like them because they also create a bond between you and the bike. But, I have found a fair balance between the two is 5.10 shoes and a flat pedal of your choice. 5.10's honestly are so sticky that you have to pick up your foot to move it if you step down wrong. They grip that well.

Please, j6105 consider what your saying before you do...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

You get tremendous power gains with clipless because you can pull upwards on the back pedal as you push down with the front. Control is another issue, but with suspension and good flats getting bounced off isn't too big of an issue. People will argue about this point until they're blue in the face. Bottom line is you get different types of control and either way is fine once you get used to it. I go clipless when I ride most trails and race. For jumping/drops/messing around I like flats because it's a bit easier to bail. Power ultimately comes from your legs, which you can make stronger by training.

kona-tize me captain
    i use to ride clips but i found if i wasnt clipped in when it was wet or muddy they were pretty bad. i loved riding in clips u felt one with the bike. i tried jumping and droppin with them and i didnt like it to much thats just me though. i had the crank bros mallet c's. i didnt like them becuase they didnt work very well unless u were clipped in thats understandable. they do take some getting use to but if ur willing to practice with them ull do fine. dont be afraid about clippin in or clippin out thats very easy. one very hard part for me was remembering that i was clipped in so when i would take tyurns sharply i would try to put my foot down and loose my balance. if u feel like u are willin to practice with them and stick with them then go for it. ull never know until u try man
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    yup the people that hate clipless most and rag on the idea that you can have same confidence are the ppl that have never got used to them.

Of course, some riders like rennie and go flat for DH, but that is a small amount of the pros, and those guys have skills up the wazzooo. They also use clipless for mountainX.

Like i said, they don;t work for some people, and before you say "thats me" actually try them, because all the people i know that have done it have flipped at the change, just like people that go tubeless do.
    I rode clipless for 5 years... was plenty comfortable with them. I still think you're wrong.

hands down platforms. the pedaling efficiency isnt even that huge a difference in my oppinion. the major difference I did notice when I was into the whole upstroke thing... it really hurt my knees after a while. your knees arent designed for pulling. if you dont know how to ride flats, then yah sure they'll help you keep your feet on the pedals DH, but they'll also teach you all the bad habits so when you actually do ride platforms you'll be all over the place.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i am currently riding clips, and love jumping in them, but i am afraid of skinnys and stuff b/c i can't get my foot out fast enough. and where can i get these 5.10 shoes u speak of? they sound cool.

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMk
    You get tremendous power gains with clipless because you can pull upwards on the back pedal as you push down with the front. Control is another issue, but with suspension and good flats getting bounced off isn't too big of an issue. People will argue about this point until they're blue in the face. Bottom line is you get different types of control and either way is fine once you get used to it. I go clipless when I ride most trails and race. For jumping/drops/messing around I like flats because it's a bit easier to bail. Power ultimately comes from your legs, which you can make stronger by training.

thats another thing i frogt to add u can peddle on the up stroke. this is wear clipless pedals become very good for racing.

are 5.10's really that good anyone>?
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    yes they are

Innovate or die!
    despite pipsquak red bull's remarks, i ride 5.10s for DH most of the time

If your gonna do flat, 5.10's impacts are the only way to go, best grip in world. period.

I have heard and read that pros practice DH on flats so they are not all over the place and then go to clipless.

Mountain X is not 100% mandatory, but if you race higher than begginer, hell begginer its most important, the holeshot is a huge factor to taking the win. Guys with clipless always take it, it is stupid to argue that you can do as good a gate start on flats.

Red Bull and all u other people u must try the clipless before you rag, thats why i can rag on flats, because i ride them alot. Both have disadvantages and advantages, but to totally ignore one or the other is completely stupid, a la my original point.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    yes they are that good...with a good pair of flat pedals, they feel like clips.

I use flats for everything. DH, DJ, MTX, trail riding, road, walking to the liquor store, chasing skirt - flats all the way!

Say no to clips - go FLAT out!

mtbr member
    Red Bull and all u other people u must try the clipless before you rag, thats why i can rag on flats, because i ride them alot. Both have disadvantages and advantages, but to totally ignore one or the other is completely stupid, a la my original point.
    (I thought I blamed you for being one sided... )

I dont do that. No longer do I ever rate something without using it. Back in the day (seeing as im 15 ) I rode clips when i rode xc. Sure its can be a faster stroke, but I cant tell much of a difference in them/5.10s... And there are soo many factors to a whole shot. Timing is huge, so is getting your wrists back and popping forward.

Bottom line, ride em both and decide what you like best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    not is that even possible to get into clips faster than putting your foot down on a flat surface, thats just ignorant.
    I used to agree w/ this statement....but you can now call me ignorant. After riding w/ a guy who was very proficient w/ clipless pedals I swear he was in & out of them as fast as I was on/off w/ platforms. Granted, he definitely put the time in & was very used to them, for him it was second nature. That is not true of everyone, I'm sure.

For me, I haven't ventured into clipless yet for mountain biking. I think road-biking will be my first jaunt w/ them. I aggree w/ what others mentioned, 5.10's w/ a decent set of platforms is hard to beat for good pedal connection.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    what are the chances that i have 5.10 climbing shoes. man i need to pick up a pair of them freeride shoes. thanks.

www.ntxbmx.com
    Jun 2005

Flats and Clipless

I ride a lot of XC, and on that bike I use Eggbeaters, and I love them, I have used clipless pedals of different types for a while, but I learned that riding clipless had hurt my riding on my urban bike, so I ride Platforms with lots of pins on my Urban/DJ bike now.

If I only had one bike, and I was mainly riding XC, I was stay with clipless pedals, but for Urban, DJ or Freeride, Platform pedals seem to be the way to go, I can get out of clipless pedals quick, but if a landing goes bad before you know it has gone bad I would prefer not to be clipped in.

BTW most skate shoes with a gum sole seem to work great for me.

Faster the Better!
    Apr 2005

5.10's

\Here is another vote for 5.10's...They are that GOOD!!

Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    yeah, but they look like ****.

brooklyn bike rider
    Jan 2004
    it would benefit anyone to get a hold of july/august 2005's issue of DIRT (the UK one) magazine
    and read steve jones' article "cutting loose" on flats and clips.

i say flats.
    but find your feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Some folks hug trees. Some hug steel bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    A. We all know that clippless pedals are great for XC.

B. Most of us agree that clippless helps for DH.

C. I have used my (XC) clippless pedals when doing some light FR and DH- and they are still good 3 years and 2 bikes later.

D. I currently run Time Attack Zs which can double as a platform pedal and are pure gold for gnarly DH runs.

E. You cant swap between clipless and flat pedals- its not too hard.

Personaly the only bike I dont run clipless on is my P2 which I use almost exclusively for jumping/urban, with only the occasional light XC or DH type run thrown in (the bikes' quick handling is just perfect for tight turn filled DH courses without too many drops, no need to use brakes where slower steering bikes have to slow down).

JRA
    I've been riding clipless for 8 years, and I must say that now that I have seen the other side, they suck for any type of technical/huck/jump riding. The only thing they are good for is pedaling efficiency and that advantage is disappearing fast.

In most normal trail situations I can unclip as quickly as a flat pedal. The major problem, though is that you can only step off the pedals in one direction -- sideways. You can't step directly away from the pedal, meaning that clipless limits your options when you want to give up on a move half-way in -- which is critical, of course, for DJ work as well as trials and FR. Downhillers don't bail like that, so they don't need the option. In any kind of technical or jump situation, you want to be able to step directly off the back of the bike and you can't do it clipless. This especially sucks when you are trying to mount a large obstacle (30" high or more) and you pull up too hard while wearing clipless --- straight on to your back. ouch.

Flowtronic engineer
    I race DH and do some longer big bike trail rides in clips, but for jumping and anything resembling stuntery its gotta be flats. As far as racing and full tilt DHing is concerned, besides the pedal power, I really like being connected to the bike. Being able to grab some pedal strokes through total rocky chop and pick the bike up to float over stuff...those kind of moves are indispensible.
    I don't know what kind of bad habits you get wearing clips for DH....jumping, I can understand, but for DH its just different techniques and what counts is what gets you down the hill faster. A good habit you get is keeping your feet on the pedals and committing to turns and nasty lines without throwing down the moto-foot.
    Just my opinion and experience...ride alot and figure out what works for you....I think switching back and forth is cool.
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

Members who have read this thread: 0