clipless vs platform for freeride / dh- Mtbr.com

Poll: What kind of pedals on your DH / freeride bike?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

AW_
    locked - time out

clipless vs platform for freeride / dh

Forgive me if someone has already ran this poll. I am curious what percentage of you run clipless. I am assuming it isn't very many but let's tally it up once and for all.

So here is the question: If you have a freeride or dh bike what kind of pedals are on it? Clipless or platform?

Now, if you do not ride DH or FR, then please DO NOT place your vote. Also, if you wear spandex when you ride said DH or freeride bike then you are also disqualified from this event.

Ok place your votes.

Bike Ninja |||
    I wear a chamois... i still might be faster then you.. so i guess my input doesn't apply

(platforms... atomlab trailkings)

and it's not like we haven't had a gazillion of these polls / threads. let's try running a search first next time mmmkay?
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    I wear a chamois... i still might be faster then you.. so i guess my input doesn't apply

(platforms... atomlab trailkings)

and it's not like we haven't had a gazillion of these polls / threads. let's try running a search first next time mmmkay?
    Whatever dude, searching is for people with nothing better to do. My next poll going to be what color stickers should I put on my Bottlerocket.

clyde in training
    I would say most people use platforms for fr and clipless is most often used in downhill. I use platforms for both and only ever used clipless on my xc bike. I would never recommend clipless for fr.

StraightOuttaCompton
    i use platform all around. I just don't like the feel of clipless.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by 08nwsula
    I would say most people use platforms for fr and clipless is most often used in downhill. I use platforms for both and only ever used clipless on my xc bike. I would never recommend clipless for fr.
    Ok serious question, what is downhill? Does it mean racing, or just riding lift assisted at a resort, or something else? I keep reading that clipless is common in DH but I have to say, pick any weekend at Whistler and clipless riders are the minority. I'd even go so far as to say extreme minority. So, does dh = organized racing? Or just ripping downhill? Or what?

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    Ok serious question, what is downhill? Does it mean racing, or just riding lift assisted at a resort, or something else? I keep reading that clipless is common in DH but I have to say, pick any weekend at Whistler and clipless riders are the minority. I'd even go so far as to say extreme minority. So, does dh = organized racing? Or just ripping downhill? Or what?
    A search would yield the answer just pushing your buttons.

AFAIK, on these boards:
    DH = more serious lift accessed runs, also including racing
    FR = more recreational, shuttles, more jumping hucking involved, generally involves more climbing. can also be lift accessed. (I consider whistler to be a FR destination, not so much pure DH)

clipless is very common in DH. out here the more serious riders for the most part ride clipless, with flats being the minority. more recreational riders tend to stick to flats. I do both. If it's a mellow day i'll run flats, if I feel like pinning it i'll throw on the clips as it offers more control. (And yes i do bring both pedals and shoes to the parking lot )

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    IMO, boils down to rider preference, man.

World champions Sam Hill and Nathan Rennie go platforms when they go racing, while the rest of 'em go clipless.

But in FR, the ability to bail out when things go "oh, sh!t" is paramount. That's why they use flats. But some still prefer going clipless.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Pivotal figure
    Platforms and Five Ten shoes, best of both worlds
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber

World champions Sam Hill and Nathan Rennie go platforms when they go racing, while the rest of 'em go clipless.
    Many people at the world championships wear spandex and skinsuits, so they don't count.

Anywhoo....I eat paste.

don't move for trees
    For free ride, no way. For down hill, sure, especially if your going to be racing, you can generate a lot more power. Right now, my vote goes for platforms though.
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    i run atomlab quicksteps, when im just riding around or jumpin i just wear my regular shoes. when i go and ride a trail ill put on my clip in shoes.

SuperInstigator
    Forgive me if someone has already ran this poll. I am curious what percentage of you run clipless. I am assuming it isn't very many but let's tally it up once and for all.

So here is the question: If you have a freeride or dh bike what kind of pedals are on it? Clipless or platform?

Now, if you do not ride DH or FR, then please DO NOT place your vote. Also, if you wear spandex when you ride said DH or freeride bike then you are also disqualified from this event.

Ok place your votes.
    Real MEN ride platforms. duh...

I chose letter D.
    Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member

Need I say more?

This guy seems to go pretty fast with platforms - I think it's a matter of skill and preference
    Attached Images Attached Images

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath_2
    This guy seems to go pretty fast with platforms - I think it's a matter of skill and preference
    Yeah but I am talking about real trails and that looks pretty weak. Some weekend warrior riding down a gravel road isn't a very good example. Sorry.

Bike Ninja |||
    Yeah but I am talking about real trails and that looks pretty weak. Some weekend warrior riding down a gravel road isn't a very good example. Sorry.

I resent that statement..... On that trail that's the only place a camera man could get decent footing to take a picture. Sam is not a 'weekend warrior' nor does he ride down gravel roads.

I'm positive that statement was utterly sarcastic, and grossly misinformed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I thought you were serious at first....

mtbr member
    I do fast tight FR trails and drops, I use Gusset Slim Jim pedals. Cheap and light. I used Primo Super Tenderizers for years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    for the record, rennie runs clips almost all the time. Head to the racers. Most of pro/semi-pro ride clips. Remember how stoked Hill was when he first won at worlds on flats and he was talking about how everybody said it'd be impossible to win worlds on flats and he proved them wrong?

Its alot easier to accelerate botched corners and fix mistakes with clips, and so you end up putting out at a much higher level assuming you aren't a superhuman who pins everything perfectly. If you hit all your lines perfectly, theres really no need for clips because you don't need to accelerate hard out of corners because you're always going incredibly fast (see: sam hill).

Basically, for the average rider, clips are a pretty big advantage if you can get over the fear factor and learn to use em correctly when it comes to speed, and flats are a pretty big advantage when it comes to ease of use, and especially air time. You can shred pretty hard on both.

For tight twisty, I like flats. For fast rocky sweeping stuff, I like clips. Ride both, get used to both, see what you like.

mtbr remember
    ...man, this thread seems to have gone sideways real quick.

I voted both, although the eating paste choice was very tempting to click!

...all this discussion of definitions of types of riding bores me, but it does depend on the terrain I'm riding which pedal I'll thread in. I generally like platforms the best, probably since most of my time off of a DH/FR bike is spent on a bmx or 24" street bike... but, if I'm doing an all day epic FR ride where I have to pedal a ton to get to the steeps or stunts, I'll click in with some 661 skate style shoes with the spd's on the bottom and some CB Malletts... then just unclick on the tech sections or jumps. But if I'm riding strictly shuttle runs or chairlifts, I'll just go with the ol' Loteks and platform pedals.
    I gotta say though, maybe it's just me, but I hate platform pedals with TOO much grip, and I probably couldn't stand riding with the 510 shoes and some ridonkulous pedals like those mentals or something...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    I always run platforms. Clipless just feels really wierd for me when im freeriding / downhilling
    Life is Short, Ride Hard.

hmmmm
    I ride with plateforms on my DH bike and use clipless on my commuter.... dont use the clipless on the DH cuz I suck so being able to bail effitiently and not got rolling down a hill still attached to my bike is a nice benefit of platforms for me.

mtbr member
    I run clipless. I've tried flats a few times, but never gave them enough time to really get used to them. That being said, I've never not been able to bail because of the clipless pedals. Getting out of them is natural. I think for the people who say they won't run them because they can't bail, it's all mental.
    Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

hmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    I run clipless. I've tried flats a few times, but never gave them enough time to really get used to them. That being said, I've never not been able to bail because of the clipless pedals. Getting out of them is natural. I think for the people who say they won't run them because they can't bail, it's all mental.
    i know i wont be able to bail cuz i eat **** on my commuter cuz i forget to clip out etc so i can see it going all bad in DH. i know i could get used to them and it would become naturl but i see several falls where it isnt natural before i get used to them...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    for the record, rennie runs clips almost all the time. Head to the racers. Most of pro/semi-pro ride clips. Remember how stoked Hill was when he first won at worlds on flats and he was talking about how everybody said it'd be impossible to win worlds on flats and he proved them wrong?

Its alot easier to accelerate botched corners and fix mistakes with clips, and so you end up putting out at a much higher level assuming you aren't a superhuman who pins everything perfectly. If you hit all your lines perfectly, theres really no need for clips because you don't need to accelerate hard out of corners because you're always going incredibly fast (see: sam hill).

Basically, for the average rider, clips are a pretty big advantage if you can get over the fear factor and learn to use em correctly when it comes to speed, and flats are a pretty big advantage when it comes to ease of use, and especially air time. You can shred pretty hard on both.

For tight twisty, I like flats. For fast rocky sweeping stuff, I like clips. Ride both, get used to both, see what you like.

very nicely put.

EastBaySteez
    Older Mallets with 661 skate shoes(SPD's)

Couldnt be happier, it takes up for alot of my casings that otherwise would have ended up in scrubage or possibly death.

I have had only 3-4 times where I couldnt come up clipped. I dab just as much as anyone with flats.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Mountain Lion Bait
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    i use platform all around. I just don't like the feel of clipless.
    Amen to that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    im debating on going clipless with mallets, and the mp66's. i admit, im not a STRONG bunny hopper, or tail whipper. so im thinking with clipless, it might help my performance. any opinions???

for the record, i ride platform at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Are you sure Rennie runs clipless?

But I've never not been able to unclip when I need to. This goes for bailing, crashing, whatever. I sometimes ride flats when the trails are either really muddy or are trails where I would have to dab alot.

As far as bunnyhopping goes, learn to do it proper on flats. I'm not usually on to preach about 'proper' technique, but learning hopping on flats will help a ton on DH trails.

Uphill? What's that
    That guy can kick #ss while wearing a pair of flip flops

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    clipless... clipping in and out becomes second nature after a while...

mtbr member
    my 2 cents...

To me DH (chair lifted to the top of a ski resort, let gravity do the rest) is a lot like motorcross...
    speeds a lot higher, stickin' the ol' walkers out left and right into corners & using the legs for balance when other DHy things get weird at high speed, you need to exit the pedals super fast and don't want to worry about finding that "click" when you want to put your foot back on the pedal. l say platforms for DH.

Freeridey, l'd go either way with it but, l can ride a lot better with clips, specially when it comes to getting up and over logs. l used to be able to bunny hop the shizick outta a BMX bike (this was 25 years ago, maybe more). Nowadays, put me on a BMX, l can't get 3 inches off the ground and l look like a monkey eF in' a football trying to do it. With platforms, l'm a little better getting up and over stuff with a MTB but, l still feel dorky about it and boy oh boy, do l have the scars to show it. On the other hand, with my Time Z's, maybe it's all in my head but, l feel a lot more secure with what l'm doing and l can wup up and over things a lot higher. l'll never be able to do stuff like this: http://www.pedalshop.com/pedalboard/...pic.php?t=1712 don't really plan on learning to get to that level. No really, how does he do that!??! Anywho, riding skin_E's and all the other freeridey stuff, doesn't bother me one bit to be clipped in. Sometimes if the height on said feature is freakin' me out, l'll unclip JUST IN CASE but, to date --- l have never biffed hard and said to myself (frikin pedals, if l wasn't clipped in, that wouldn't have happened). Back when SPD's first came out and they were sorta poo-poo, that was a different story but, they didn't have DH and FR back then.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

Disco-Superfly
    what are clips and platforms?
    yumm paste
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    All l know, l can't wait to ride with Sleepy --- a rookie of sorts, and no doubt a rookie to SPD's. Time Z but, who's asking.

Might have some great crash video coming up soon.

Muuu ha ha ha, muuu ha ha ha!!!
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

Jackalope Hunter
    I'm with Mr.Percussive... I run clipless all the time and have zero problems. I own a pair of flats and 510 shoes, they are cool, but everytime I consider taking my Mallets off and putting them on I decide against it... Besides, it makes taking your hands off easier... and if I want my feet off I just clip out first before the stunt...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks mike, i cant wait till my first fall too. so far so good the time z seem to let me out pretty easy. we will see when it gets hairy on the mountain though. i think i will see if i can do the tumble line at the far but with a bike instead of a leaf blower.

banned
    Mar 2008

Paste!!

I've used both and for overall, nothing beats the feel of being clipped in, espeicaly when you wreck hard. I say if you're spending more time in the air then being on the ground, safer to go flats. If your more into bombing trails with percise control, go clipless. Nothing like screaming down a downhill run littered with table tops and bermed corners being clipped in and railing it like Jimmy's Mom

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    5-10s and even crappy platform pedals turn into magnets

platforms for anything but XC and roadraging

Members who have read this thread: 0