Clipless shoe- Mtbr.com

Thread: Clipless shoe

percocet pioneer.

Clipless shoe

Opinions on the best (interpret how you may) shoe for running with a clipless setup?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    one that fits your foot.

Dec 2007
    sidi by far the most comfortable shoe i have EVER worn, the are stiff, light weight, and a bit pricey

Stiff yet compliant
    Right now I am all about the Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes. Very comfortable and better walkability than any other clipless shoe I have ever used. Great for rides that require hike-a-biking.

Nov 2008
    The Shimano MP66W are a comfortable shoe.

The Other Dude
    I am running the 661 Filter shoes, they are very nice....of course i am also sponsored by 661.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

percocet pioneer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    I am running the 661 Filter shoes, they are very nice....of course i am also sponsored by 661.
    Yea I was looking at those but I'm confused because it says you can use them with an SPD pedal or without one (obviously) but the pictures of the shoe show the sole of the shoe flat??

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of the high top dh style clipless shoes. They seem to give me better support.

Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    Yea I was looking at those but I'm confused because it says you can use them with an SPD pedal or without one (obviously) but the pictures of the shoe show the sole of the shoe flat??
    It will have the SPD slightly recessed into the sole like the Shimano's do.

The Other Dude
    Yeah, there is alittle part of the outsole of the shoe that pops out and the spd mounting ports are under it.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Capricious youth...
    661 Filter. Great shoe.
    Meh.

percocet pioneer.
    alright cool. so I'm still deciding between the Shimano MP66W and the 661 filter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Right now I am all about the Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes. Very comfortable and better walkability than any other clipless shoe I have ever used. Great for rides that require hike-a-biking.
    The Pearl Izumi X-Apl shoe is the best Ive found. I have the wet/cold weather one (GTX). They make 3 versions. I love em.
    https://www.pearlizumi.com/shop.php?...&mode=products

Nov 2008
    The good thing about the skate style SPD shoes is that they're still grippy on the platform SPD pedals without being clipped in. You might go through an area where you need one of you're feet loose.

mtbr member
    I just started doing DH (first race: Mob 'n Mojave this weekend!) and lots of people have chastised me for hanging on to my clipless shoes and pedals, saying that clipless is dangerous for DH and flat pedals are the only way to go. Do lots of people ride clipless in DH?

mtbr member
    I ride clipless for everything, even skinnys.

Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzchick
    I just started doing DH (first race: Mob 'n Mojave this weekend!) and lots of people have chastised me for hanging on to my clipless shoes and pedals, saying that clipless is dangerous for DH and flat pedals are the only way to go. Do lots of people ride clipless in DH?
    Brian Lopes rides clipless in DH I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    I ride clipless for everything, even skinnys.
    +1 for me as well
    1ST RATE Earnest Borgnine-Ethel Merman erotic nudes!óDANGó Ethel was WAY hairier

Cracker
    It might get a little steep from here

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yup!! It really boils down to personal preference and there's nothing 'wrong' about riding clipped-in for DH. Take the advice you get with a grain of salt -- do what feels right/natural to you on the bike. You can always make the switch if you don't like it.

Good luck!

Gnar
    Lots of people use clipless for downhill. I like flat pedals for downhill and clipless for AM.
    Attached Images Attached Images

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fuel
    Lots of people use clipless for downhill. I like flat pedals for downhill and clipless for AM.
    Exactly. For competitive DH there is the argument that clipless pedals help your pedaling efficiency, even though many of the top pros ride flats still and win all the time with them. I think it's personal preference for the most part. I will make the argument that good technique on flat pedals will help you while riding clipless so I would at least still practice on flats. It's easy to get used to being attached to the bike and causes you to not only ride less smooth but become reliant on the clips to stay attached to the bike. I think the ability to "flow" over terrain gives me an advantage rather than just plowing and skittering over stuff with the clipless setup.

Oh, btw I use the 661 filters as my flat shoes and I wouldn't bother with them for the clip in setup. A true XC shoe will give you much better pedaling traits and be way cooler (temp) than the Filter. I run only dedicated XC shoes for clipless and use skate shoes or the purpose made cycling shoes for flat riding.
    Bike good, work bad.

bearded
    Shimano DX. Period.
    BLKMRKT

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I use shimano SH-MT31 and PD-M424 pedals. The shoes are great they are still like new after a season, they are really cheap too. The big base is really nice for DH if you clip out. They make one with a metal base too but i like the plastic one cause its lighter and i dont worry about scratching metal.

Clipless for me is just one less thing to worry about you can focus more on flowing than keeping your feet on the pedals.

Members who have read this thread: 0