Clipless pedals question???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Clipless pedals question???

I know the downhill/freeride forum may not be the best place to ask this but whatever. Me and two buddies are doing the Vermont 50 in September so I decided to pick up a pair of clipless pedals to make my life easier. I got a good deal, $14 for a pair of welgos. Anyway, they are SPD-R compatible and I cant find any SPD-R shoes for like under $70 bucks. I'm looking to spend like $35 if possible (i dont care what they look like and how good they are as long as they work) So my question is, is there any possible way to make an SPD-R cleat on an SPD compatible shoe work?

Thanks
    evan

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Well...

Honestly, you may want to replace those pedals for some Shimanos, Egg Beaters, or Times. You kind of get what you pay for when it comes to SPD pedals. If you've never used SPDs in the past, you may have a hard time getting used to those Welgo pedals. I say that from expirence. I got some Welgos and just though that SPDs weren't my thing; I had a hard time getting in and out of those pedals. However, once I tried some Shimanos, I was hooked. They were smooth to get into and easy to get out of.

As for the shoes, check out SuperGo, there always have deals on shoes. I don't know if $35 would be possible, but less than $50 should be easy.

Are your pants fresh?

I could be

wrong, but if I'm not mistaken, SPD-R cleats are for road pedals no?
    Which I believe (after a really quick search), are 3-bolt road shoes. Adaptor plates are available (not sure of the manufacturer), but it doesn't seem to be worth the effort since it's a road shoe and if you're posting here (MTBR), I assume it's for mountain biking.
    My opinion is to find a set of mountain pedals and go from there $70 isn't bad for shoes, but it really depends on the quality of the shoe, SPD comp. shoes ranging from $30 - $300.

FP

Wanna be, but broken!
    Nov 2004
    The cheapest things would be to grab some old SHimano 747's (If you already have SPD shodes)). They are great pedals, incredibly reliable, just really old and heavy by todays standards. I think I saw some SPD-R shoes at performance or pricepoint for right around $35 though. But I do both road and MTB, and I love my 747's.
    Never good enough for my bike. But I got the scars to prove that I tried to be good enough.

mtbr member
    Like WWT said you get what you pay for, the main problem w/ SPD cleats and pedals is when mud gets stuck in them. Ive crashed a few times because my SPD's were clogged w/ mud. Just stomach the price and get a good pair of Crank Bro's