Clipless Pedals for DH- Mtbr.com
    i like dirt.

Clipless Pedals for DH

Hey i was interested in purchasing some clipless pedals i could use for some downhill-age. Also ones that have a wider pedal surface so that I could ride a bit without being clipped in. Any recommendations?

How are these guys:
    Sinz Expert Pedals

I'm not even sure if these are SPD can somebody tell me? I got these 661 shoes that have the SPD compatibility so I just wanna make sure these are compatible if I end up getting them. What do you think of those pedals for DH? Anybody tryed them?

mtbr member
    Yeah there SPD compatiable. I personally would never race with clips, don't think there necessary but thats just me. Also I would try and find them from another site unless you have ordered from them before...heard from acouple people that they are difficult to work with.

I wear two thongs
    From what Ive heard Blue Sky is allright as long as the product you are ordering is in stock. But as an alternative theres these pedals for a comprable price and they seem to have some nicer features IMO:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/142...10--Pedals.htm

Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    yupp... those are SPD... i ride SPD on my dh bike as well. Riding the Shimano M737 pedals but i wouldnt get those pedals if i were you. You either want to be clipped in all the time or just ride flats... It's gonna be hard clipping in in the middle of the trail if you bail or etc...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    since most of my riding is more all mountain than FR/DH I use time atac pedals without a platform.
    when I started getting into more FR oriented riding and going bigger, I had the idea to get the atac Z platform pedals so I could ride without being clipped in all of the time like you mentioned you want to do.
    After alot of time on the platform Z's I've decided that I don't think that is what the designers have in mind when they make an SPD pedal with a platform. I find it impossable to keep my feet in a comfortable position without them clipping in automatically. It seems to me that the platform on this style of pedal is designed more for supporting the feet than to allow you to ride without being clipped.
    Of course this may just bn my pedals, or maybe I'm not using them properly. But it's something you might want to keep in mind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I use Time Z's

Been using them for about 4 years and they work great.

local trails rider
    I think some riders like to have the foot further forward on the pedals when riding unclipped / on flatties.

Recovering
    I tried to ride flats for DH, but couldn't do it- too used to riding clipless for XC, and couldn't get comfortable with feet moving and bouncing around the pedals on the fast and rocky stuff, or in the air.

I currently use Time Atac Z's, and am very happy with them. Have used Mallets, and even put Eggbeaters on the bike for a couple weeks after breaking the Mallets. After the eggbeater ordeal, I discovered the value of the platform for DH clipless- broke the sole stiffeners in that pair of shoes on some small drops.

I don't ever try to ride unclipped on the Times, but I have been able to ride out of some hairy unclipped situations just using the platforms...
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, the most use you get out of the platform is having something to stand on if you come unclipped and can't get back in, but they aren't meant for riding on without clipping in.

I was on a Pair of the older shimano 646 pedals, 8 years actually and they finally gave up on me a few weeks ago. If I could find them, i'd buy them again. But it seems they are all gone.

I think the replacement will be the shimano 647.

When I thought the 646's were going I tried a pair of mallet C's. Only ever rode them on a rigid Single speed XC bike and the spindles bent in three months.

Tried the Time Atac Z's but kept unclipping from them unexpectedly. Went back to the 646's for 1.5 more seasons.
    Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

Some Assembly Required
    If you can get an old pr of Shimano 646's they were the best platform clipless pedal w/a solid useable platform cage out there. Shimano, in their infinite questionable wisdom have discontinued them. They were replaced it with a pedal call 647's with a new cage, (resin), and a new mechanism that sheds mud better. I rode a set of the 647's in a parkin'lot the other day an' they seemed ok. I'd have to hit th' trail for a real demo. They're a lil too pricey for me. My 646's are starting to get old so I'm gonna be scopin' something out as well.

Oh yeah, if it were me, I'd stay away from one sided clipless, no way I'm gonna spend the time flippin' a pedal over to get to the right side in a bad situation.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Props goes out to you all who ride clipped in for FR/DH. I tired it the other day and man I took some bad falls. I like being able to flag my foot out on corners if need be. The only thing I dont like about flats is not being able to control / move the bike in the air etc.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrobert81
    Props goes out to you all who ride clipped in for FR/DH. I tired it the other day and man I took some bad falls. I like being able to flag my foot out on corners if need be. The only thing I dont like about flats is not being able to control / move the bike in the air etc.
    I run my clips very loose. I run the Shimano single release cleats and they will on occassion pop out when I least expect it and I'm tweekin' the bike in the air, that just keeps me honest though. Multi-release pop out a lot easier even when you run them tight.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Ricky DH
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    If you can get an old pr of Shimano 646's they were the best platform clipless pedal w/a solid useable platform cage out there. Shimano, in their infinite questionable wisdom have discontinued them. They were replaced it with a pedal call 647's with a new cage, (resin), and a new mechanism that sheds mud better. I rode a set of the 647's in a parkin'lot the other day an' they seemed ok. I'd have to hit th' trail for a real demo. They're a lil too pricey for me. My 646's are starting to get old so I'm gonna be scopin' something out as well.

Oh yeah, if it were me, I'd stay away from one sided clipless, no way I'm gonna spend the time flippin' a pedal over to get to the right side in a bad situation.

EXACTLY as stated!

I love these pedals so much that I put a pair on my DH bike, my trail bike and bought a used pair off Ebay for a back up. I still can't believe Shimano stopped making them. Go figure.

You can find them used, sometimes new on Ebay or here or pinkbike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    Yeah, the most use you get out of the platform is having something to stand on if you come unclipped and can't get back in, but they aren't meant for riding on without clipping in.
    thats the point I was trying to get across to the original poster.

Quote Originally Posted by mkrobert81
    thats why i like the times, super easy to get out of (sometimes perhaps too easy). With pedals that are really easy to disengague, there is little use for riding unclipped on clipless pedals

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro_sandchez
    thats why i like the times, super easy to get out of (sometimes perhaps too easy). With pedals that are really easy to disengague, there is little use for riding unclipped on clipless pedals
    Same here. Getting out the these pedals has always been instinctive for me. Being a very recent beginner DH type, all XC before, I got the platform time pedals. I think the platform just helps give my foot something under it while getting clipped when you just start rolling, or if I unclipped for whatever reason. My Kona came with some very nice flats. Guess I could try that sometime for pure gravity situations.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Get a real DH pedal - metal cage, good spindle, sealed cart bearings, double sided.

The ONLY pedals I will use are the Time Z's or the old Shimano 646's. Mallets will fall apart if you look at them wrong.

And yes, Shimano stopped making the best pedal they had.

thats not to steep is it?
    i say forget spd
    its ok
    but i like crank bros
    go with the acids or mallets
    they rock
    both have a big enough platform so you could use regular shoes
    wouldnt be to smart to go downhilling with regular shoes but definatly ridable without cleats

Members who have read this thread: 0