Clipless or Flats - What's Your Opinion?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Flats or Clipless

banned

Clipless or Flats - What's Your Opinion?

My friend Katana, is always giving me a hard time about running flats on the DH bike.

I say if you need clipless in order to control your bike, you're not doing it right. Besides, I can hit corners that much faster, jumps just a little crazier and if I need, put a foot out real quick like to save my soon to be crashing azz.

He says "If it's good enough for a roadie like Lance, than it's good enough for me."

I don't have the cojones to tell him that Lance doesn't have any nuggets.

So what you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    My friend Katana, is always giving me a hard time about running flats on the DH bike.

I say if you need clipless in order to control your bike, you're not doing it right. Besides, I can hit corners that much faster, jumps just a little crazier and if I need, put a foot out real quick like to save my soon to be crashing azz.

He says "If it's good enough for a roadie like Lance, than it's good enough for me."

So what you guys think?
    I ride flats, but you can control your bike easier with clips.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Glad to Be Alive
    flats...flats
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Edit Lance out of there...

Then if you are racing... get a something in between, clipless but still with platform.
    Dont forget that when you are pulling up as well as pushing down, you are getting more out of your body and it WILL show on your times.

If you are into freeride, clipless is a no-no in my opinion.

Clipless can be adjusted to a point where you wont have to worry about getting your foot off the pedal in time.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Morda
    Edit Lance out of there...

Then if you are racing... get a something in between, clipless but still with platform.
    Dont forget that when you are pulling up as well as pushing down, you are getting more out of your body and it WILL show on your times.

If you are into freeride, clipless is a no-no in my opinion.

Clipless can be adjusted to a point where you wont have to worry about getting your foot off the pedal in time.
    No doubt about it, if you're racing, then clipess is faster.

Also if you're just hitting dh runs, jumps and drops and not racing, then flat pedals let you go just a little bit further before bail out. I've been riding clipless for over 10 years on my other bikes, and it still helps to ride flats on the DH bike.

Whatchu got against Lance??

mtbr member
    Fast guys are fast on either flats or clips, but the fast guys on flats wouldn't probabaley be hindered as much by switching wereas a clipless rider would feel out of "touch" riding flats. There are some especially in expert and below that only use clipless and may find it hard to move the bike without being attached. There is nothing like being able to put ypu foot on the side of the pedal while the bike is leaned over.

Juanjo
    For me clipless is like puting a claustrophobic in a little dark room .

Flat all-the-way ... for me .

I have friends that ride (DH,DJ) clipless and do good... so is up to u.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ \m/>-<\m/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jesus loves you ............. Everyone else thinks your an A$$hole .

mtbr member

So what you guys think?

You don't need clipless to control your bike, but it definitely helps. In rock sections, when you use clipless(i recommend large platform ones like the shimano 647s or egg beaters ), you can float across easier.

However, if you don't feel comfortable with clipless pedals, don't use them! They led to some bad crashes if you can't bail easily.

da giant head
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    FLATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    BUY MY STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - ATOMLAB TRAILPIMP REAR RIM (NEVER USED)..$40

and thaz pretty much it

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    uhm..... no. you cant tell me that having your foot in a hard shoe with no info transmitting through it to your foot, on a pivoting "floating" platform where your foot is allowed to freely pivot on the pedal, is going to give you more feel and more control of the bike. Im sorry, but I've ridden both. There's way more feel and control with platforms, if you dont believe so, then you're doing it wrong.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonk0u
    uhm..... no.
    Uhm, Yes.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Flats+Spray painted 5.10 impactos
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

T.Dot Represent
    racing-clipless
    not racing and messin around- flats

i ride flats cuz i dont wanna get stuck clipped in!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Learn both!

I have raced road and XC for 15 years, always Lycra, always clipped in. Nothing is more efficient, and you can really scoot the bike around. Secretly, though, I was always bummed that I was lacking the skills that only come from flat pedals.

I have been riding flats now on a freeride HT doing a lot of urban and I am a significantly better rider because of it. It took about 3-4 weeks to get used to it, and I have scraped the F**K out of the backs of my legs, but I can do REAL bunnyhops now, higher, further and smoother than I could with clipless pedals, and I can ride cool stuff that would be too sketched for me to try before. A lot of this is the bike, but I don't underestimate the increase in skill from learning to flow and keep my knees working and feet on the pedals.

I figured I would loose patience and switch to clipless, but honestly the toughest thing about getting used to a "freeride bike" has been getting used to the weight.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    racing-clipless

not really a noob
    mike jones says go flats
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Who???????

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tomyboy
    You don't need clipless to control your bike, but it definitely helps. In rock sections, when you use clipless(i recommend large platform ones like the shimano 647s or egg beaters ), you can float across easier.

However, if you don't feel comfortable with clipless pedals, don't use them! They led to some bad crashes if you can't bail easily.
    It's not about being comfortable on one versus another. I have clipless on all my other bikes, have ridden clipless for more years than I've ridden flats and use clipless when racing.

When out screwing around on weekends, trying new things and pushing the limits - flats allow just a bit more latitude and therefore confidence.

Apparently you all think so by more than 2 to 1. I'm showing Katana this next time he brings it up. The people have voted - and flats are it.

Viva Democracy!

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    racing-clipless

yup, same here. two sets of pedals, two sets of soes.

local trails rider
    I think "clipless or flats" is a philosophical question, unless you are mainly into jumping and dropping. Or if you race seriously.

I have ridden flats and clips. Now I am trying to get the hang of clipless on rocky trails. It already looks like I am clearing stuff where I used to stall on flatties.

BUT

I am still undecided whether I actually LIKE clipless.

Rocket Scientist

So what you guys think?
    If your racing DH and riding thru huge Rock Gardens or drops or what ever...
    I recommend Clipless all the way.
    I have ridden Flats for 25yrs and In less than a month I have made the switch to Clipless for DH. I can't believe I waited so long and how I went without them.
    everything else including 4x or Freeride, Obviously go with Flats, but for DH...
    Clipless is the way to go...It has saved from me from OTB adventures that I dont need!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I don't give a rats ass what your using, but just because your using clipless pedals, don't mean your locked in all the time. I'm generally locked in most of the time & seem to escape from the pedals in desperate times somehow without thinking about it, but when doing crazy ass shore riding at height, where I might need a quick exit in case of emergency, I just don't clip the pedals in & use the cage.
    no wuckas..
    Go with what your comfortable (I clip in. most of the time)

SNOWRIDER
    Its not in your poll butBOTH

all depends on where and what type of riding I am doing that day I always have both type pedals and shoes in my gear bag
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    flats fo sho doh

Eyes of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr 9point5
    Who???????
    Mike Jones lol
    Find 'em hot leave 'em wet

banned

... and if we just ... Get my quotes correct....

Yes I do, because you are used to clipless pedals, you are a hammerhead, and as thought would be, you are used to clipless, so it is better to stick with it!

I said you have more control WITH the bike, not OVER the bike. When you are clipped in, you are now ONE with the bike, actually, there is NO BIKE, THERE IS NO YOU!!!, it is just existence, a dream, a fleeting memory! Think about it, that is if you do not do stunt jumping like can-cans and such. The feet are in the perfect position always. I know I can clip out without thinking to - i.e. when I am sliding out and need to drop a foot to the ground. I can control the bike better off a jump by using my legs to pull up the rear end, or drop it down if need be. PLUS, as you saw in JM, I can easily bunnyhop over a 2 foot tall obstacle on a 44 pound, 8+ inch travel bike with them clip in pedals. (This is a plus if you are in an emergency) You couldn't because you weren't clipped in (as you said).

Don't remember saying that, but mabey I did.... Sh!t, I would rather ride to my ride, rather than drive to my ride, and clip-in pedals help with thousands of feet of climbing...after all, I am a fat beer drinking bike rider!

He has one cojone, and it is way bigger than any of ours!

So what you guys think?
    Clips or Flats??? It is a matter of personal preference. I remember back in '96 riding with Shaums and Kirkalde on several occasions. Shaums ran Flats, Kirkalde in clips. They were both fast, way fast. Both could bunnyhop 3 feet, both could pedal. Who was right in thier choice? Both were, but for you IRMB, I think you should be clipped in because of your pedaling background, and you are quite comfortable in clipin pedals..... But whatever, I just like to give you sh!t after the ride.....

peace

banned

clipped in

flying high, clipped and one with the bike.....

Bum Buzzer
    Alot of folx who ride clipped on always get sloppy hsbits. Using their clips to lift the bike instead of the bars and finesse -- riding heavier on the bike.

But, if you ride and practice on flats and develop good technique, racing or occasionally riding clipped in you willhave more control and have to concentrate less on keeping your feet on the poedals - even pedaling - through rough sections -- more control over the bike in the air for sure (once comfortable dropping/jumping)

Not the best choice for stunts or biiig hit riding, def not for exploring new terrain....

I ride flats 99% of the time - but I hope to build a fr/trailbike 5/6" soon and I will use clips!!

USB Rep'n

yessir!

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    I ride flats 99% of the time !!
    And my agreement is from someone who was a die hard clipofile! Started my racing as a roadie back in the early 80's (when we just started moving from toe clips to clipped in) then got into xc racing. Clipped in was clearly the choice but I always marvelled at the bmx crowd who rode flats. I wondered how they could do what they did since I had trouble lifting off sometimes and I was clipped in! As I got into FR and urban I moved to flats and that's when I realized why I couldn't do stuff back when I was an xc boy (yeah, Hucker, I wore lycra - deal with it!). Anyway, I had no technique then all pullin up with the legs and whatnot. Once I learned how to really ride using flats, I found that clips were really a crutch I didn't need. I still clip in on long xc rides if there is a lot of climbing but for anything else, flats is where it ats!

Id say learn on flats and clip in only when conditions (race or terrain) warrant it. Another big benefit to flats is that you can stay much warmer riding outside in winter since you can wear footwear designed to be out in winter (boots even!).
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonk0u
    uhm..... no. you cant tell me that having your foot in a hard shoe with no info transmitting through it to your foot, on a pivoting "floating" platform where your foot is allowed to freely pivot on the pedal, is going to give you more feel and more control of the bike. Im sorry, but I've ridden both. There's way more feel and control with platforms, if you dont believe so, then you're doing it wrong.

Well put. I use clips for XC, but flats for DH. As for cornering...I tend to pivot and I tried clips and keep coming uncliped when I do pivot. Every close call (crash wise) on DH has come while wearing clips coming out. I know....it would take practice and changing my cornering Technique. I also find when I jump and have clips on, I tend to lift...which not a good habit either. With flats, you tend to be more one with the bike...as you let it come to you on a jump instead of pulling it up. For me....flats are the only way to go for DH.

Pro Crastinator
    flats...

Samsonite Tester
    Switched to flats on both SS hardtail and the DH/FR.

The feel is the reason,When cornering hard and you are able to put your foot on the side of the pedal or roll on the ball and let the bike flow left to right under you.

Benefits have been easier wipeouts. Like going down lowside more thenhighside. Probally from tripoding vs. hanging in there. Tweaking air is way better. Not just dead sailor, x-up's anymore. Concentration on good pedaling technique, turn circles , be smooth and natural cadence. Big benefit but least proud about is useing shoes. Not having a proper XC bike I encounter a fair share o hike-a-bikes. I never slip on my A X-ing streams. I have the right shoes for light rock climbing/adventuring. Shoes are comfy and cheap.

Down sides have been loss of pedal while climbing technical rocks and roots. Some blame on SP feedback. A little slower over a trail ride. DH in the rock gardens have been hardest. Lots of cool shin and calf scars.

Onefreak clipped in accident also helped my desicion. Picture this --- Fast , twisty singletrack with basketball rocks lineing the berms. It is dry so I get a little loose , being clipped in I just counter steer and dirt track slide wide. Up the berm til my clipped in toes on the low outside pedal hitrocks fricken slammed so hard at 20mph + and they did NOT unclip. The clip held tight because of the angle of impact was straight in line with the pedal. OUCH
    That outside pedal with all my weight was forced back and up hard and fast. The sudden loss of motion along with the upward stroke launched me ejection seat style UP and otb still clipped to my bike. Then messiness ensued and 2 toes were broke. That night my wife asked what happened to the flat pedals that were on her bike.

Clipless on race day. Flats all other rides.

Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

rollin
    i like to ride clipless on the drive side, and a flat on the nondrive side.

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    i like to ride clipless on the drive side, and a flat on the nondrive side.
    The rider with one red shoe ?
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Personal preferance is flats, but there is no doubt you can pedal faster with clipless pedals.

Live Life, Ride a Bike!

Just get the Mallet C

You have the best of both worlds in one pedal and if you choose to flat that day so be it, but if you wanna clip then clip. I run them and they are awesome, and they have improved my riding 10 fold. Just my 2 cents.

banned

... and if we just ... Master of Deception

Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    flying high, clipped and one with the bike.....
    Katana,

That ain't you and you know it! I can post pictures I found on the Internet as well as anybody.

Face it, I'm scary fast and I'll blast yo ass. You're smokin grass, but that buzz won't last.
    I'll blow you away, any damn day - sucka don't play or you're gunna pay!

Face it fool, I straight up rip
    You might lose your grip,and have to clip
    But I'm flowin with flats
    And passin yo ass!

Beeeotch!
    Last edited by imridingmybike; 09-09-2005 at 04:40 PM.

Goat Herder

New question here.

I prefer flats but the shin carnage can get kinda nasty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you're racing DH...

CLIP IN TO WIN