clipins- Mtbr.com

Thread: clipins

me jumping bflo

clipins

ok i ride dh and fr and i have the kona jackshit peddles but i sliped and got a huge gash in my heal. iv never ridden cliped in. i need some info. like whats the advantages and disadvantges iv ben looking at the crank brother mallets
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PHIB
    I Suck at spelling
    98% of all teens do drugs or have tried them, if you are in the 2% range, copy and paste this in to your signature...

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    i ride clipless... better pedaling effieciency... and better control (in my opinion at least) of the rear end...

DHS
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    i ride clipless... better pedaling effieciency... and better control (in my opinion at least) of the rear end...
    yup, also gives you a different way to jump. now you can pull of the rear without having to pull up the bars.

mtbr member
    I come from an XC backgound, so I'm more comfortable with clipless. Mallets are great. Sturdy, easy exit and entry, good retention. Shimano makes some pretty good platform clipless pedals too. I'm partial to CB though. As for pros and cons, here's how I see it:
    Pros: Your feet stay on the pedals. It's easier to control the rear end of the bike. Pedaling is more efficient.
    Cons: Crashing can cause problems. You need to wear your clipless shoes. Even with the plaform, they don't work very well without the special shoes. Obviously you can't do any trick that involves taking your feet off the pedals.

The walrus and carpenter
    I use both when appropriate. This makes you a better rider IMO

You shouldn't slip off a good flat pedal/shoe setup at all

The real issue is power. There is no question you have more power with clipless.

The Mallets are pretty idiot-proof but even the best clipless pedals will hold on in many crashes.

Ultimately I use flats more.

Try getting some Five.Ten shoes and use both. You won't regret it.

Glad to Be Alive
    jact schict are one of the widest pedals.....it's the shoes......you need different shoes.....you always will slipp time to time but you different shoes.... a lot of people recommend the 5 10's ....I like Nike basketball high tops
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Paul looking at Zachs ass
    yea get clp ins
    LMFAO
    dude learn to keep up with me
    im slow... but still once you can keep up wth me and get balls like me
    and huck stuff first
    then think about getting clip ins

BFLO

Racer
    don't be a dick....

clipless can help people no matter how good they are

no i was jk hes like my best friend
    hahahaha
    but i started this thing about clip ins
    i wanted them first and now he does
    haha
    but our friend broke his collarbone with them and our other friend broke his wrist and tore ligaments in his shoulder... ouch
    but i even told him if he gets some get the mallets

BFLO

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by BFloFoxRider.
    no i was jk hes like my best friend
    hahahaha
    but i started this thing about clip ins
    i wanted them first and now he does
    haha
    but our friend broke his collarbone with them and our other friend broke his wrist and tore ligaments in his shoulder... ouch
    but i even told him if he gets some get the mallets
    i dunno dude... i've crashed sooo many times with my clipless and i always bail in time. After a while, clipping out turns second nature. I'd get into more crashes without clipless...

me jumping bflo
    thanks for all ur help i yhtink ima get the mattles but what kinda shoes should i get for the mallets
    PHIB
    I Suck at spelling
    98% of all teens do drugs or have tried them, if you are in the 2% range, copy and paste this in to your signature...

The walrus and carpenter
    All the 661 shoes are nice. Get the ones with your favorite styling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phib1134
    thanks for all ur help i yhtink ima get the mattles but what kinda shoes should i get for the mallets
    Whichever ones fit. Go to your LBS and try some on. I would never mail order shoes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't know about Crank bros but shimano makes a multi-release SPD that you can get out reallly easy. The only way to not get out(except for a freak accident) is to endo or somehow wheelie the bike and fall off the back. But bad things will happen anytime you endo at a high rate of speed.

For me I feel much more comfortable on clips, but I have been on them along time. Its hard for me to stay on the pedals through the rough stuff on flats.

One reason to go the shimano route is because of tension adjust on the cleats. Later on it won't help much but for a begginer it helps a whole heap

Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    I don't know about Crank bros but shimano makes a multi-release SPD that you can get out reallly easy. The only way to not get out(except for a freak accident) is to endo or somehow wheelie the bike and fall off the back. But bad things will happen anytime you endo at a high rate of speed.

For me I feel much more comfortable on clips, but I have been on them along time. Its hard for me to stay on the pedals through the rough stuff on flats.

One reason to go the shimano route is because of tension adjust on the cleats. Later on it won't help much but for a begginer it helps a whole heap

yea the mallets dont have the tension
    but thats why the shimanos are tight

BFLO

Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    i dunno dude... i've crashed sooo many times with my clipless and i always bail in time. After a while, clipping out turns second nature. I'd get into more crashes without clipless...

yea i heard after you get used to them its like a second nature
    but then again its that getting used to period
    but you have to take chances in this sport... its part of the addiction

BFLO

me jumping bflo
    yea i heard after you get used to them its like a second nature
    but then again its that getting used to period
    but you have to take chances in this sport... its part of the addiction
    yep exctally.
    PHIB
    I Suck at spelling

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Another vote for clips. Gotta be a reason almost all pro DHers are clipped. For me, it's about the ability to stay light on the pedals through the rough stuff, and not worrying about slipping the pedal. You'll almost never hear about someone not unclipping in a crash.

The walrus and carpenter
    I've been riding for a while now, started riding XC, and use Mallets on a regular basis(they are way the easiest to get out of (never tried quicksteps)).
    I crash and don't come out all the time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    DeepSouth: I saw you mentioned 661 shoes. I use a pair of those with my Mallets. Problem was, even with the silver grip plates removed, there was still way too much contact between the outer pedal platform and the sole of the shoe. It really affected entry and exit. Solution: Dremel grind the ridges on the platform. Good to flow.

The walrus and carpenter
    I space my cleats out a bit.
    Problem solved. They clear a little better too.
    They still hold on every so often.

Edited: I like to have the plates on for when I do come out.
    Last edited by DeepSouthBuilder; 02-14-2007 at 08:18 AM.

mmm bacon
    I switched to clipins the beginning of last season, Shimano pedals wicked tight, the first real "race speed" run I did, I've never been so scared on a bike, as much as I love them it raises the possibility injury signifigantly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    DeepSouth: Yeah I tried shimming up the cleats too. I just didn't like scraping the brass cleat into the ground with every step. Those things wear out fast enough. 925hell: Saying clips "raises the possibility of injury significantly" is gonna scare people. Shimano pedals are gonna be stiff in and out until the cleat wears in a little from use. I assume the tension setting wasn't the factor here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    But at the end of the day it all comes down to personal prefrence. There are just some guys that will never be comfortable in clips.

mmm bacon

the post wasn't meant to scare

Psyche151,
    I didn't intend that it is simply a fact of life, being clipped into anything raises the possibility of injury. The needs of a Dh rider through a rock garden, at speed are very different than any other mouuntian biker, we use more speed through a technical section as such, with more speed we have a greater chance of losing a pedal due to vibration, impact etc. Therefore to combat this one "can" run the tension higher to keep this possibilty at a minimum. For example at Brianhead last year I hit a boulder at the pedal downstroke that had rolled into the trail the since I had set my tension on my pedals high the bike rode through it, thats the positive the negative is that bike rode through it, for about 5 seconds I was an unwilling passenger. I myself don't like low tension it seems somewhat redundant. At the same time going from flats to clips is a choice that enevitably the first couple of times scares people, because you can't immediatley get off or away you have to think about an "exit strategy" and that unfortunately most people don't when put in a situation involving speed or possibility injury. Sadly this season I might have to go back to flats due to a knee injury.

mtbr member
    yea the mallets dont have the tension
    but thats why the shimanos are tight
    People just don't get this. CB pedals don't have adjustable tension because they barely engage the spring at all in exit. So basically you just turn your foot, and all of a sudden, poof, you're out. With the Shimanos you can feel a definate point where you're starting to clip out. Not so with CB. They don't have adjustable tension because there isn't any point.

Some Assembly Required
    I like clipless for the power of climbing and not having to worry about slippin' off of th' pedals on th' dh. I can easily out climb most of, if not all of the guys I ride with, due to my clipless 646's. I can easily unclip in an upcoming rockgarden, or tech-nar dh situation. They also help me manipulate the rearend of my bike cause I'm limited in my movements. That said, clipless will cause you to stackup on yer head in an endo at times because you can't get loose in time. There is always that chance. Personally, I think a multi-release cleat is NOT the way to go, because if you have them loose enough to bail in a freeride situation, they'll come loose unexpectedly when your just riding & not thinkin' about it. I like to use the single release cleat and run them loose. They only come out one way, this makes them a whole lot more predictable in all riding situations. All this has come from trial & error = 3 seperated collar bones, left one twice. I tried platforms & maybe I didn't give them enough time, but the clipless have allowed me to evolve in my riding & do things I'm otherwise not able to do.
    Last edited by man w/ one hand; 02-14-2007 at 08:47 AM.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

The walrus and carpenter
    My cleats barely touch the ground when I walk. No need to space them that much for clearance. It takes some tinkering.

Can I Borrow Some Style?
    My problem is the mental side of things. I raced cross country when I was younger (I am only 16), with clipless. I loved being able to climb stuff and hop the back of the bike when I needed to. I have been downhilling for like 2 years now and the memories of falling in clipless pedals come to haunt me every time i consider them. I can see advantages for sure, but more disadvantages for me. I really like to take my foot off in the fast corners and let the backend slide around. And I also really like to know I can BAIL IN THE AIR. I have hit gaps on my DH bike and bailed mid launch. I think it all comes down to personal preference. I personally do not like the thought of being atttached to your bike when you are charging. But hey, to each his own. And I am probably very ignorant seeing as to how many pros run clipless.
    Passion is what we all need, the rest is secondary.
    Yeah I ride fixed on occasion, get over it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    There are a lot of good points here. Personally I haven't raced either but I've been riding clips for years and just now went to mallets on my new Stinky. It's a bit tough getting used to it but I think for beginner downhillers and freeriders it's a must in order to get off in time. I'm also learning to jump the bike without cheating either (lifting up with the back feet) I think saying the pros ride clipless only relates if you're as good and as confident as they are. They are masters of balance and bike control so the benefits of clipless really give them the extra edge to accelerate throught flats and manipulate the bike. I'm enjoying trying both ways and will probably go back to my Shimano 645s when I get more confident. One thing that is nice is when you're actually getting back on the bike the mallets are so much easier. Just step and go...no trying to get clipped and dealing with that distraction while going up or down something gnarly. My two cents. Good luck!

*OK, I just got back from a ride. I've been switching off from my 5" Trail Bike and my Kona Stinky. Today I rode the trail bike. I came down a great switchback downhill section at Aliso Woods called Meadows. I thought, "I should really try clipping out around the corners more" It worked, I was much faster though the corners BUT, I had a ***** of a time getting clipped back in and back on the gas! Maybe it takes some practice but I really stuggled with it. I'm going to try the same ride with the platforms on the trail bike next time out!
    Last edited by ehansen007; 02-14-2007 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I really only used platforms for a short period of time before switching over to clipless. Definitely a question of personal preference and riding style. I hardly do tricks, and tend to ride at speed through tight sections (think East coast drops, 7 foot drop with a hard turn as the landing) so I like the no-brainer of the clipless' ability to mmanuever the back of the bike easier. Then again, some people can do just as well with platforms. Ride both and see which one you feel more comfortable/faster on. Most of all, make sure you have fun

mtbr member
    Well I'm not a DH'r but I have been mountainbiking for 20 years and did the first 10 on clips and straps. When I went clipless after a couple of years I lost my ability to ride with the clips and straps when I tried to go back for snow riding.

Last summer I went to a resort for lift riding for a week and picked up some Tioga MX Pro's and 5.10's and I'm glad I did. I really like just sticking my foot on the pedal especially when the going is steep. I can't ride anything challenging on my clipless when my feet aren't clipped in but with the flats it's no propblem.

After that trip I picked up a Turner RFX/66 and use the flats for gravity riding and some Mallets if there is going to be lot's of pedaling. So I recommend both depending on the trail.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

...abuse these forks.
    I rode clipins for a while and theyre great for xc. But any aggressive riding, downhill, or otherwise leaving the surface of the earth and youre asking for it. you wont be able to bail when you need to and you will get hurt far worse than you would otherwise, TRUST ME dont give up on platforms til you try the five.ten freeride shoes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Its funny that you guys bring up the risk factor. While it is a huge deciding factor in clipless or platform it seems to be forgotten that what we do is a huge risk. Launching yourself off of a 10-15ft drop is risky business no matter what your feet are on. While true, theoretically you could break your leg due to not getting out of the clips in time, but it is often overlooked that you could also break your leg making love to a tree at 20mph, too. But that is a risk that everyone accepts and moves on

Members who have read this thread: 0