chris king headset PROBLEM need help!!!!!!!!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well chris king headset PROBLEM need help!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a chris king headset with a carbon fiber spacer on a dual crown for on a bullit. It gets loose all the time even after tightening it. I think this is because of the carbon fiber spacer because it flexes. Does anyone know why this is hapeneing and how i could fix it???I'm thinking of getting metal spacers but im not sure.

Meh.
    What stem are you using?

Scuff of the steer tube and clamping area of the stem a little bit.

Bike Ninja |||
    you can try that. that's a cheap fix that will hopefully remedy the issue.

if that doesn't work, i would suggest looking at your king's races. if they look very worn, or even sharp to the touch then i would suggest warrantying your HS. yes king's do wear out, i've had this happen to me. they will replace whatever is worn (generally bearings and races) and send it back to you VERY quick. i think i was out like a week and a half with mine.

hopefully it wont' come down to that, but it's always a possibility.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    What stem are you using?

Scuff of the steer tube and clamping area of the stem a little bit.

im using an 04 junior t

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    dude i had 2 king head sets that did the same **** as yours. i replaced them with an fsa pig dh and a sunline dh v1 and couldnt be happier
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_prodigy
    im using an 04 junior t

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromedToast
    jumior T's come with their own stem

mtbr member
    A dumb question, but...

When you tighten you're HS are you loostening the upper crown clamps on the stanchions? Sometimes you need to "break" the crown loose. Loosen the clamps and the top cap on the HS. Not abusevly, but pick up the front of the bike and hit it on the ground 2-3 times. this will loosen the HS and crown. Retighten the HS cap and then the crown. Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_prodigy
    jumior T's come with their own stem

So do many forks, that does not mean you have to use them.

mtbr member
    I had a CK and the same thing happened to me. Get a different headset or have it warrantied.

mtbr member
    It is the upper alu race that has worn out. A cheap fix it to take out the upper race and put in and conical upper race from a different HS and then try to find a seal that will take up the space between the upper race and top crown. CK are nice and all but put `em on a bike you don`t use everyday so they take longer to wear out. You can order the top race by it self by the way.

Just roll it......
    Are you sure you don't need an extra spacer? If your current spacer is getting the top of your stem pretty close to the top of the steerer tube, it's possible that the top cap is touching the steerer tube after you tighten it.

For sh*ts and giggles, add another small spacer under your stem and give it a try. Of course, I assume you're loosening the top crown on your fork when you are snugging everything down too.....after all you are a prodigy.

EB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's not the spacers flexing, and it's likely not the races either. Check to see if your star nut has pulled up any in the steertube, and make sure that the steertube is about 1/4" below the highest spacer. Basically, I think your top screw might be bottoming out before it can get the headset snug. That top screw should not need to be super tight to keep things snug.

Chris King headsets were designed long before suspension forks or disc brakes were around. They look pretty, but there are far better designs on the market...like Cane Creek.

mtbr member
    Actually, I think I know your problem now! It might not be any of what's said so far.
    You say you have the integrated stem? If it's the type that go on both sides of the steerer tube and not over it like a typical stem, then this is your problem...
    The top crown is only 1/4" thick. The steerer tube has to be a little shorter than that. So when you tighten the crown around the steerer tube it's pinching the top of the steerer tube and causing it to cone in. Like a wedge, it now has preassure to push down on the steerer tube and cause the HS to come loose. My Monster T did the same for a year. I'd have to tighten it every 2 runs to solve the problem. Finally, I sent it back to Mars and they pressed a new steerer tube in for $60+ shipping. You should have at least a 5mm spacer on top of the top crown, and don't be afraid to use more. Fahn
    P.S. this happened with a Cane Creek HS. My point is that the whole time I thought it was the HS, it wasn't.
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Are you sure you don't need an extra spacer? If your current spacer is getting the top of your stem pretty close to the top of the steerer tube, it's possible that the top cap is touching the steerer tube after you tighten it.

For sh*ts and giggles, add another small spacer under your stem and give it a try. Of course, I assume you're loosening the top crown on your fork when you are snugging everything down too.....after all you are a prodigy.

EB
    Yea ive been loosening the top crown before i adjust it. I took it to the bike shop yesterday and got it tightened, I just came back from bootleg canyon minutes ago and its loose again. I think i found the solution. One of my buddies told me that the same thing used to happen to him and he got one of these and its been perfect since.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Head+Lock.aspx

mtbr member
    It is the top race that is integrated into the upper cover of the headset that is worn out. It is a one piece design that is made out of aluminum and it sits on a steel bearing. The alu wears out and doesn`t have enough of a conical shape to properly press on the bearing. I have the same problem with the same HS.

Members who have read this thread: 0