Choosing the right suspension platform-sx trail.....- Mtbr.com
    Roll on Spring Time!

Choosing the right suspension platform-sx trail.....

So I moved to Korea with a new chromoly hardtail fitted with a u-turn domain and good parts all round. At the moment I am running it single speed and truth be told this is the best ride I have had to date. It is just pure fun, so why am I looking for a fully? Well Korea has epic riding potential.

I really want to learn to carry speed through the rough but without getting a full out DH setup. My first fully was a coiler which was great but I ran it with a heavy spring to get it more slopestyle, good sprinting and jumping etc. It obviously never felt plush so I cant judge the faux suspension design but it seemed to me it was firm till the suspension was chellenged then it wood get moving, almost seemed better on the bigger ruff stuff. I sold the coiler on ebay and picked up a patriot 66 with a pushed dhx 5 with firm pedal platform internals. Awesome ride but again not plush due to shock setup, seemed better on the smaller ruff stuff. I enjoyed the feel of the single pivot as it just seemed to hug the ground and popped off jumps nicely. I know the coiler is a multy link single pivot but the patriot definately rode differently.

Now I have a collegue flying back to the UK and have the opportunity to have him bring back a frame and I would like some advice on suspension platforms. I know the basics but could still do with some advice. I dont want a fat wallowing pig(thinking Stinky which is cheap localy) as the trails are tight and I like to pop off any small root or rock but I also dont want to overlap my hardtail too much. I would like to have something which jumps and drops really well as I am addicted to learning freeride and slopestyle but I need all the help I can get. I would like to improve my fast rough technique but nothing full out DH. The way I see it I need something which will help me carry speed through the ruff so I can hit or land a drop or jump. I realised the need for a good fully recently when watching Seasons again the other day, the section with Hunter riding a high Berm/wall which was ruff and I realised the control I have been missing on my hardtail together with the acheing knees, back and wrist.

I dont intend to spend copious amounts of dosh and my list is as below

Banshee wildcard- always wanted one since they launched, great price at the moment but I dont know how plush I could get it. It seem like just the kind of bike I would enjoy but also seems really close to my hardtail
    Banshee Rune- advised that the virtual pivot is not ideal for side loading where the wildcard is better. But seems close to an SX Trail which I like
    SX Trail 08 - may be able to pick up an 08 at a good price and it seems to have the right amount of travel, weight, geo etc. also not a VP design which I worry about for durability
    Giant Reign - reviews are great but I worry about the rear mec hanger issues and pivot problems. I have limited acces to spares.
    Commencal Mini DH - great reviews and another bike I like the look of, looking for a good deal at the moment

Before you suggest, the intense ss, knolly delerium and a bunch of others are almost double what I can pick up the above list for. I was looking at the banshee scythe but it has a 150mm hub spacinf and even then would the faux bar be plush or is it a wildcard with more travel? I dont really want to move from a 135mm QR rear as I will need to invest in another rear wheel and then I cant interchange wheels with the hardtail if neccessary. Weight is a bit of an issue as I said before I like to pop off stuff.
    lastly, this may be my last frame I buy so I need it to last and one day look at it as my vintage classic. I dont mind a bit of maintenance but not bearings every 6-12 months like I have heard from the like of a VPP free. I nearly invested in a Demo 7 but then they only had smalls and afterwards I realised I may not need that much bike, I aint dropping huge yet.

I need a tuff frame, not cause I go large but because I hit the same drop maybe 10-20 times per session then move on to the next section before doing the full run. I also ride heavy at the moment due to lack of skillz. Looking to run a totem coil, 36 van or 36 rc2.

I appreciate any help you can offer
    I just want to ride.

Underweight Rider
    I'll pick the Rune or the Reign and if you need Rune parts theres a authorised dealer in Malaysia(near IMO) and as for the reign parts should be easily available(bearings/hangers) in Korea.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Come on man. I asked for advice you have just given me your choice. Sorry I couldnt help myself.
    Just found a rediculous price on an SX so why rune or reign x?
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hahaha

Underweight Rider
    Hehe, both 'were' on your list If the sx is a good bargain i say go for it.

Roll on Spring Time!
    so you also cheap?
    Well for the price of the SX I get a fork of my choice and probably still got a little change.
    I just want to ride.

dirt visionary
    IMO I would go for the sxtrail .......yeah I own one .

However I use mine for freeride and dh. I ride my sxtrail on the same dh trails I ride my turner DHR on . While the DHR 8.5"travel rides like a cloud the sxtrail 6.6" holds it's own very well and helps you pick better lines .

The sxtrail is a very well dialed bike that is plenty strong with the 08's being the strongest of the years. The bike has low center of gravity and a low bb which helps it corner extreamly well even at speed.As far as the ride its pretty darn plush with an almost bottomless feel as the suspenstion is progressive towards the end. I live in AZ and we are known for our super rocky trails so our bikes see lots of abuse. The only NEGATIVE is that it can get hung up on multiple fast square edge hits. So really long abusive rockgardens with big rocks will slow you down for sure.

Here is some az chunk.

SamIAm
    sxtrail is your best bet. get one

they are the best all around bike you can get imo.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i have an old enduro pro(sxt with 10mm less travel) it bombs downhills and does fun uphill, its great

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    CW pic is no lie, it is rough here! Should see the man on a bike, very good free-rider! If I could afford another I would give the SX a serious look. I think it is a way better thought out bike than my old Enduro Expert.

Members who have read this thread: 0