Cheaper to Build DH bike or Buy one? Has anyone thought about it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Cheaper to Build DH bike or Buy one? Has anyone thought about it?

I'm in the slow process of doing more DH and aggressive XC. I posed the question I hope everyone has thought about. First, assuming that one "knows" how to put all the pieces together, meaning they will not have LBS do the build. Has anyone here wished they would have just bought one thats built already or vice versa built it themselves and saved some money or gotten what they really wanted? If I do "buy" a frame there is NO going back, I dont want to make a mistake. I'm pretty knew to DH bikes, trying to research more DH componets any suggestions?

Tri "G"-916-

mtbr member
    May 2006
    its cheaper to buy a used one. but when you buy you lose some of the parts you would like on it. a build is a project and something you are commited to. it will take like 3 weeks or more to do a build. if you are buying the parts seperatly and from forums. but if you have the money already its expensive but takes a week

notabouttoseeyourlight
    you are pretty much guaranteed to pay more if you buy all of your parts individually... but the plus is that you will have exactly the build that you want... also, if you're new to dh, there are a lot of compatibility issues that might confuse you in the build process... another vote for a complete...
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Why aren't you riding????
    no contest.......if you need it all buy it all together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thats three for buy it complete. I just dont know where to start. There are so many DH bikes out there, I need a bike that will not only do DH but some aggresive XC. I've noticed that some of the DH bikes are pretty heavy. I have narrowed it down to these, not in any specific order BTW. It's not matter if I will do it but when I will purchase one. I think I'm addicted guys.

1. Specialized (Demo or Bighit)
    2. Santa Cruz (V10 I think)
    3. Kona (stinky)

Hard as nails
    You really have to want to build it on your own and have the time and patience to do so. I purchased numerous bikes in the past and became familiar with the components and the building process. You will need to do mucho research and reading, asking questions and the such.
    I recently built my DH/FR bike on my own. But I also have an AM bike to ride in the mean time. So the time to get it built was as long as it took to get all the parts together. It is without a doubt more expensive seperate (But FUN), but like someone else stated - you get exactly what you want the first time. Bring a thick wallet tho!

mtbr member
    Ok, it's not a downhill bike but I built a new Coiler Primo frame up for $2000 less than Kona's MSRP with all new components that are better than/equal to stock. It took six months of keeping an eye out for deals but was obviously far cheaper in the end. I didn't intend to do it that way, but when I got a great deal on a frame it just made sense and worked out nicely.

But even if you do spend more, you can buy what you want the first time and not waste time or money on the crappy parts that come spec'ed on some decently expensive bikes, like Deore hubs on $2900 stinky deluxes
    Täglich drei Millionen Leser der Kronenzeitung abzulehnen, ist ein Zeichen tiefster moralischer Verkommenheit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you want to ride DH and aggresive XC, why not an all mountain bike? Their were a group of 3 guys at the local mountain a few days ago on Nomads and SX Trails that could almost keep up with our dedicated big rigs. I saw them again yesterday riding a small XC loop on the same bikes and they were doing fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    it really depends on how much you care about what parts you're riding.

If you really need a marzocchi rocco, magura gustavs, saint cranks, fox DH40 fork and all sram x.0 drive train, then yah you can probably get by spending less money in the long run if you build it yourself.

but package deals are always cheaper. sure you may sacrifice and not be super thrilled with some aspects of the component spec, but it's really up to you to decide how much that matters.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    you are pretty much guaranteed to pay more if you buy all of your parts individually... but the plus is that you will have exactly the build that you want... also, if you're new to dh, there are a lot of compatibility issues that might confuse you in the build process... another vote for a complete...
    insert funny comment..............then what he said..............so true........
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

complete

another vote for complete. You can also get deals on bikes right now since its the end of the season. Yeah, mabe some of the parts will suck, but when they break you replace them.

I also think that if you're going to do some trail riding you might want to consider something more pedal friendly. Or at least think about what you'll be doing more of, pedalling or lift/shuttling. If its pedalling, you might want to reconsider the bikes you're looking at and go w/ something alittle more upright. I trail ride a big hit, but not very often, and not for very long rides. It can be done, but its kinda like suffering.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    When you guys talk about freeride what does that refer too. I have been doing some DH with my Stumpjumper FSR and it feels a little scary at time like I'm pushing to its capabilities. I dont want to purchase a bike strictly DH, I want to do some aggressive XC also. Hitting two birds with one stone type of thing. DH fits me like a glove, I love it though. Thanks for all feedback guys I love these Forums.

Tri "G"-916-

Members who have read this thread: 0