Changing oil in 2003 Junior T- Mtbr.com
    Disco-Superfly

Changing oil in 2003 Junior T

I have a 2003 Junior T, and it hasnt had in oil change in its life. So I decided its time for one.
    I read in another thread about Golden Spectro synthetic fork oil, and called all the local motocross shops and none have it.. So should I get it from an LBS?? I dont know anything about fork oil so help me out on what to get.. I want 7.5 wt....

Now time for changing it.. How do I do this? Just take off the top caps and dump the old stuff out?? then pour new oil in? Is there anything else involved to do this?

Also I want to add a bit of oil, and the marzoochi site says for 55-80KG I use 110 and for 80-90KG i use 105.... This seems odd because the heavier you are dont you need more oil? I weigh 83KG...(185lbs)

"Note: the table shows the distance between the oil height and the top of the stanchion in the end stroke position (in mm.)" What does this mean?? How Do I measure the oil I want?? I am going to drain it into a measuring cup and go from there...
    I want a tad more oil for a bit more bottoming resistance...

Thank you in advance...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

i should be working
    just dump it out, and add. I'd put in 10wt or even 15.

as for the oil levels, 110 is less oil than 105 because its measured in mm's from the top caps. If you want more bottoming resistance add more oil, but take it slow. too much will limit travel.

mtbr member
    On the "03 Junior T, make sure you leave the bottom spring in the stanchions when measuring the oil level. Otherwise you'll end up with way too much oil and significantly reduce the travel.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by NorcoLaunch
    On the "03 Junior T, make sure you leave the bottom spring in the stanchions when measuring the oil level. Otherwise you'll end up with way too much oil and significantly reduce the travel.
    To measure it I will just pour it into a measuring cup and go from there...

Quote Originally Posted by rpl3000
    just dump it out, and add. I'd put in 10wt or even 15.

as for the oil levels, 110 is less oil than 105 because its measured in mm's from the top caps. If you want more bottoming resistance add more oil, but take it slow. too much will limit travel.
    I am sticking with 7.5wt, Just adding a tiny bit more for bottom resistance, I dont bottom often, but would like to make it even less often.

Now I just need to know what oil to get.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]

I am sticking with 7.5wt, Just adding a tiny bit more for bottom resistance, I dont bottom often, but would like to make it even less often.

Just get any fork oil, brand is not very important. And don't put in 15wt oil, would make your compression/rebound super super slow.
    <><

i should be working
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    Just get any fork oil, brand is not very important. And don't put in 15wt oil, would make your compression/rebound super super slow.
    Its a feel thing. I like 15wt in my dirtjumpers and in one leg of my JrT when I rode that. experiment and see what you like. oil is cheap. wrist sugery after viscious rebounds is not. Thats my story.

mtbr member

Do a search....

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]

...for the thread regarding fork oil and responses from James (I think that's his name) at Go-Ride (his sign on is something like [email protected]). From what I read, I think he recommended Maxima rather than Golden Spectro (both readily available at larger local motorcycle shops - "LMS"). Can't remember reason why. Definitely increase the amount of oil, esp. if you've never done it since the fork's inception. Brand new Marz oil/coil forks are notorious for "under-" filling fork oil. Not exactly sure why (shipping to decrease weight or pressure?!?!?!?).

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Can't w8
    ...for the thread regarding fork oil and responses from James (I think that's his name) at Go-Ride (his sign on is something like [email protected]). From what I read, I think he recommended Maxima rather than Golden Spectro (both readily available at larger local motorcycle shops - "LMS"). Can't remember reason why. Definitely increase the amount of oil, esp. if you've never done it since the fork's inception. Brand new Marz oil/coil forks are notorious for "under-" filling fork oil. Not exactly sure why (shipping to decrease weight or pressure?!?!?!?).
    I read that but I called all my local MX shops and none have fork oil, I asked for the spectro stuff, and they said they didnt have it, and asked if they had any other fork oil and all 5 shops said no... Sucks
    Guess im going to order it from LBS...
    Can I order any online anywhere??
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th