Changing the cassette of my glory 1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Changing the cassette of my glory 1

I m thinking of changing the cassette of my glory 1, from the 9speed 11-28 to a 9 speed 11-34 sprocket. For easier climbing coz I also use my bike for light xc n I don't want to push it up the hill. Just like my stinky six which has a 9 speed 11-34 cassette. I seldom use the smallest chain ring for climbing, it just takes too much time coz the bike is slow with the second chainring. Do I have to change the chain as well?

mtbr member
    I would say if your chain & chain rings have lots of miles....I would change ALL of them.
    If relatively new, you should be fine keeping them and swapping just the cassette.

Mismatch wear will result in horrible chain skipping / jumping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My glory is the 2011 model, just got it last month. Thanks for the input guys, will just swap my cassette to 11-34 9speed. Last question guys, no need to extend the chain by a few links? Coz the LBS here in my area told me to extend my chain. But some mechanic friends told me it is just ok to swap the cassette n do nothing else.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbig
    My glory is the 2011 model, just got it last month. Thanks for the input guys, will just swap my cassette to 11-34 9speed. Last question guys, no need to extend the chain by a few links? Coz the LBS here in my area told me to extend my chain. But some mechanic friends told me it is just ok to swap the cassette n do nothing else.
    Depends on how long the chain already is. Put the chain on and shift the cassette into the biggest ring. With the spring off compress the suspension down all the way. If you can move through the suspension all the way with out the derailer maxing out you have enough chain. If not you're going to need a few more links.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Unless your chain was loose, going from a 28 to a 34 will probably necessitate a new chain. Use the fit method described above.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the help guys. Will do as told. Safe riding

Members who have read this thread: 0