chainguide suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    keystone addict

chainguide suggestions?

I'm looking to convert my dual-ring vpfree into a single-ring, and would really appreciate some advice on which single-ring guide to get. I was looking at the e13 srs, as everyone I ride with swears by them. What do you guys think?

And just out of curiosity, what dual ring guide would you recommend also, just in case I change my mind?

mtbr member
    Theres gonna be a lot of suggestions, but I think the most will be of e.13 and mrp. I have an e.13, and I the bash guard in my opinion is the best out of all the companys. However, I like the design of the MRP a little better. The are quiet, they have 2 plates on both sides of the chainring, which prevents the chain from falling of the chainring on either side. Both e.13 and MRP are great comanys. My vote probably has to go to the e13. Would love to try a MRP for a long period of time tho.
    Last edited by cummings; 08-02-2006 at 12:46 PM.

the best of both worlds
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    I'm looking to convert my dual-ring vpfree into a single-ring, and would really appreciate some advice on which single-ring guide to get. I was looking at the e13 srs, as everyone I ride with swears by them. What do you guys think?

And just out of curiosity, what dual ring guide would you recommend also, just in case I change my mind?
    E13 SRS or DRS. Whatever your flavor, both will treat you right. I have both and they work in the words of Tony the Tiger, "GREEAAAT"

mtbr member

Look no further, the boyz on the shore know their sh!t.
    RTW.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (190.6 KB, 187 views)

keystone addict
    Wow, that raceface is nice looking. i never really considered them before. How much is one of those? and how much is a mrp btw?

What size chainring would you guys recommend? I have a 32 now, and top out way to easily gear-wise at high speeds. I was thinking a 36 would be a good compromise between high speed ability and being able to climb once in a while?

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthewelder
    Look no further, the boyz on the shore know their sh!t.
    RTW.
    Looks like RF studied the E-13 design for the plastic bits but didn't make it nearly as clean.

Why does so much FR stuff have flames on it? Embossed smurfs or hello kitty would be way cooler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    Looks like RF studied the E-13 design for the plastic bits but didn't make it nearly as clean.

Why does so much FR stuff have flames on it? Embossed smurfs or hello kitty would be way cooler.
    E-13 comes with a plastic bash guard, thats aluminum on the R/F.
    I personally would like to see a Jessica Simpson embossing............
    RTW.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    what type of riding you doing? i rock an e13 sts on my bike and it's freakin sweet. i use it for dj's ns street and just general freerideage. it's basically a beefed up srs thats tucked out of the way so you're less likely to smash it into stuff. but the plastic bashes are the way to go. i had one of those race face metal ones and i turned it into a nice oval that didn't protect my ring. went to teh e13 plastic one and it still looks almost like new after smashing into stuff all the time

mtbr member
    I have a DRS on my free and as far as dual set ups go I would look elsewhere for that bike. It took me a fair amount of grinding and fiddling to get it to work right.

keystone addict
    Quote Originally Posted by PLURPIMPIN
    what type of riding you doing? i rock an e13 sts on my bike and it's freakin sweet. i use it for dj's ns street and just general freerideage. it's basically a beefed up srs thats tucked out of the way so you're less likely to smash it into stuff. but the plastic bashes are the way to go. i had one of those race face metal ones and i turned it into a nice oval that didn't protect my ring. went to teh e13 plastic one and it still looks almost like new after smashing into stuff all the time

hmm, never heard of those. I do mostly freeride and downhill, with some dirt jumping, and once and a while I'll do a trail ride on an xc trail just for kicks. how does the price compare to the regular srs?

mtbr member
    hmm, never heard of those. I do mostly freeride and downhill, with some dirt jumping, and once and a while I'll do a trail ride on an xc trail just for kicks. how does the price compare to the regular srs?
    I think they're the same price. the STS (StreetTrailSecurity) comes ina smaller size, so its tucked out of the way better. The bash size(according to website) is 36t. The SRS (SingleRingSecurity.) comes in 40, 42, 44t size. I think the only difference is size.

mtbr member
    Buy an STS and run a 36 tooth front ring. If you have trouble setting it up (there should be a very minimal gap between the bash and the top) If your e.13 is setup right, you will NOT drop a chain. Buy an e.13 and never worry about another guide again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    That race face is a blatant rip off of the e.13. I'm sure they would use a makralon bashguard as well but I think e.13 patented that. Its gunna work, but why not buy the original and get the tech support at most races and some of the best customer support there is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

N* Bomber Crew
    I have a DRS and have only good things to say about it. I've NEVER dropped a chain, and I've had it close to 2 years.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    i have the sts also
    Signatures are for losers

Road/XC/Freeride
    MRP world cup.

Orange rollers and twin plates look mint.

What I've got on my Orange (pictured - see sig.)

Mine's been silent and flawless! e.thirteens get my 2nd vote.
    I'm on the Twitter.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthewelder
    E-13 comes with a plastic bash guard, thats aluminum on the R/F.
    I personally would like to see a Jessica Simpson embossing............
    RTW.
    JS is a whore....she gives bad head....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Buy an STS and run a 36 tooth front ring. If you have trouble setting it up (there should be a very minimal gap between the bash and the top) If your e.13 is setup right, you will NOT drop a chain. Buy an e.13 and never worry about another guide again.
    True dat. I was having some troubles for a bit with the chain falling inside between the chainring and back plate and getting stuck. But that was my fault. I had the back plate too far from the chainring. I took a spacer from driveside of BB and put it on the non driveside of BB, thus making the chainring and backplate very close. No more chains will be slipping down there. I think both MRP and E.13 can work perfect, if set up perfect. So its kinda a choice of what bash you want. (Go with e.13, fricken tough )

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    The Gamut P20 is working out real nice for me. Super light and simple, haven't had the chain drop yet even on some pretty fast bumpy runs. Their CS seems pretty darn good too as I broke the bashguard in a freak accident where a root got between my BB and bash guard and pushed outward on it, tearing up one of the mount points. I emailed Gamut directly on a Sat with a note that my need was urgent as I was leaving for N Shore/Whistler. They replied on Sunday and had my guard to me by Thurs. Awesome CS. I also have and E13 DRS which is sweet as others have mentioned, bomber construction and easy to setup. If I were riding urban/skate park or need dual rings I'd go with the strength/heft of the E13. If riding FR/DH where bashing is much less frequent the Gamut is nice for the weight savings. Never dropped a chain with either.

Members who have read this thread: 0