Chain Tensioners question- Mtbr.com
    Christoph NorCal
    Jan 2004

Chain Tensioners question

I'm going to change my 3 ring setup on my 2003 Ellsworth Joker to a DH setup. I have Raceface rings 5-arm 94 (44T, 34T, 22T), Raceface BB, and Raceface Turbine cranks. I plan on keeping the BB, middle ring and cranks. I will put on a 5-arm Raceface bash ring. I have a question on the chain tensioners. What setup would your recommend? My DH riding will be mostly at Northstar/Tahoe area. I won't get to crazy with the big drops.

Christoph

mtbr member
    Are we talking chain tensioner, like chain guide, or in place of a derailleur for a single speed rear set up?

If you talking about the chain guide, a good setup is the E-13 DRS, which will let you keep the smallest, and middle gear, and be able to shift between the two

For the chain tensioner, there are a few good ones, you can check i thinks theres one on pricepoint.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yo christoph, this is scott with the vp free from riding yesterday. a good tensioner is a montara designs hemi. you can get em through ridesfo.net and they just sandwich between the bb. I run one on my xc-ish bike and it works great, utilizing the front der as a guide for the top portion of the chain. if your looking for a true chain guide setup though, the e13 DRS is the one to get

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    yo christoph, this is scott with the vp free from riding yesterday. a good tensioner is a montara designs hemi. you can get em through ridesfo.net and they just sandwich between the bb. I run one on my xc-ish bike and it works great, utilizing the front der as a guide for the top portion of the chain. if your looking for a true chain guide setup though, the e13 DRS is the one to get
    second the heim... good product and at a good price... john heim is anice guy too... XD

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you wanna keep your small ring and middle ring, i'd run a Blackspire stinger chain tensioner, there about 30 dollars canadian..... i run them on the GF's hardtail, and my own Yeti ASX chain has never fell off on either setup with dual rings, and it's hella cheaper than all the other options around i've seen.

mtbr member
    Not cheap but if you ride aggro with dual rings you will NEVER drop a chain with one of these: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Chain_Ac...t_129777.shtml
    It IS the best setup for dual rings bar none!

Have FUN!

G MAN

moaaar shimz
    Get a Blackspire Stinger... they have superb CS too..

Christoph NorCal
    Jan 2004
    I still would like to shift between the granny gear and the middle ring. So I am looking for a chain tensionier that would provide that functionality.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Montero guide looks pretty dang similar to the Stinger just at double the price lol.

Christoph NorCal
    Jan 2004
    Thanks everyone for the great tips and suggestions. I will go with a Blacksprire Stinger and a raceface DH BB. The price is right and the folks at Blackspire customer service was very helpful and answered my questions.

Cheers!!

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by ccastro
    Thanks everyone for the great tips and suggestions. I will go with a Blacksprire Stinger and a raceface DH BB. The price is right and the folks at Blackspire customer service was very helpful and answered my questions.

Cheers!!
    I went the same route until I replaced my BB for a Hone crankset

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Blackspires are decent. I have that and the MRP LRP. I prefer my LRP over it since the roller is better and the plate is a little thicker so a bit more durable. If you go with the Stinger, I highly suggest changing out the roller for a LRP roller in black. It is a softer durometer, so it rolls very quietly...

Christoph NorCal
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ccastro

Cheers!!
    I installed the BB and the Blackspire Stinger chain tensioner. The chain line is to long. It is around 54mm. It should be 50mm. The bb is 118mm. Should I have gone with a 113mm DH BB? I did ride the bike and it does shift okay. This is installed on a 2003 Ellsworth Joker with a 73mm bb shell. Any suggestions?

Cheers

moaaar shimz
    If it shifts okay and you cant see any wearing of the chain then you are good to go!

EastBaySteez
    HEIM guide. I run one on my 7point. I have only dropped one chain in 6 months. It is a pretty penny but worth it.

It comes in a 3 ring of 2 ring version.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Members who have read this thread: 0