chain question- Mtbr.com

Thread: chain question

kona-tize me captain

chain question

after braking another chain, i need to buy another chain. i have 40$ to spend. whats the strongest 9spd cahin i can get. needs to fit sram

thank u.
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Kill that $hit!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyracegirl
    The question you might want to ask is why they are breaking.

Are you shifting under power (e.i., shifting while standing to pedal or shifting at the bottom of a hill just as you power into a climb)? Is there a missing tooth on the front chainring? How old is your cassette? Does it need to be replaced too? Chains should not just break.

That said, a PC970 sounds like what you're looking for.

-
    Yeah, what she said.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    after braking another chain, i need to buy another chain. i have 40$ to spend. whats the strongest 9spd cahin i can get. needs to fit sram

thank u.

Are you shifting under power (e.i., shifting while standing to pedal or shifting at the bottom of a hill just as you power into a climb)? Is there a missing tooth on the front chainring? How old is your cassette? Does it need to be replaced too? Chains should not just break.

-

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyracegirl

-

thats a fair question ill admit. i, pretty good with my shifting skillz. occasioanlyl ill slip up on it but other than that im good. my front ring is fine and my cassette isnt missin anything either.its about 8 months old?? if that. i have had my chain break several times. (actaully chainsss). but what set me off is while i was at snowshoe my chain literally twisted. the guys up at the shop had told me they had never seen so much damage.

thanks for the suggestion
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    thats a fair question ill admit. i, pretty good with my shifting skillz. occasioanlyl ill slip up on it but other than that im good. my front ring is fine and my cassette isnt missin anything either.its about 8 months old?? if that. i have had my chain break several times. (actaully chainsss). but what set me off is while i was at snowshoe my chain literally twisted. the guys up at the shop had told me they had never seen so much damage.

thanks for the suggestion
    8 months of hard use? Are you on the East Coast? Ride in mud a lot? Mud is brutal on the parts, especially metal on metal, like the chain and the cassette.

Chains and cassettes wear together. If one fails for no apparent reason, you need to look at the other too. When the chain twisted, did you replace the cassette? It's difficult (almost impossible) to see wear on a cassette. If the cassette is worn, it might be chewing up your new chains. Does the chain skip in any specific gear when you pedal hard? If so, it's probably time to replace the cassette.

Also, when you put the chain on, was it cut to the right length? To test this, shift the gears such that the chain is on the largest ring in the front and largest cog in the back. The rear der arm (cage plate with the pully wheel) should be fully extended and there should be no slack in the chain at this point. If there's slack, your chain is too long, and when you are in granny and small cogs, you'll have a lot of slack chain just waiting to foul things up.

And that is just about everything I know about that.

Disco-Superfly
    Incase you missed me in your other thread, What chain are you running?
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Meh.
    I have problems with breaking chains. If you're on a squishie, make sure it's not chain growth that's breaking it. Don't cross chain, keep drivetrain components clean and lubed, etc. Don't shift under loads... Etc. Etc.

Three chains that held up for me better than usual are...
    1. Wipperman Connex
    2. Sram PC-69
    3. KMC x-gold

kona-tize me captain
    yeah i live on the east coast, its all one mud and rockgardens. though when its dry the trails around here are very nice. lol mud deff has been issues for me. ill check all my drivetrain componets tonight.

i think im running some sram chain. not sure what model it is. all i know its no cross country chain or anything probly a step above. i spent 25 on it.

ill take a look at the sram chain u guys suggest. anyone know if these are good?http://www.trisports.com/wico908ch.html

thanks for the advice everyone.

Just Ride
    you get my pm austin?

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    you get my pm austin?

yeah man i got it. did u get mine? i tried to send u a reply but i guess it didnt go through? my pm never works i can alays recieve but never send back. i already ordered a chain a couple days ago it should be here this week, thanks though for the offer very nice of you. soo you can ride again now can u?? can u ride full on or just bunny hop and maybe a small jump or drop here and there
    Last edited by austinb89; 09-08-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Just Ride
    yeah man i got it. did u get mine? i tried to send u a reply but i guess it didnt go through? my pm never works i can alays recieve but never send back. i already ordered a chain a couple days ago it should be here this week, thanks though for the offer very nice of you. soo you can ride again now can u?? can u ride full on or just bunny hop and maybe a small jump or drop here and there
    im back to pretty much back to normal riding. no pain or anythign from just about any bunny hop. and ive started with 180s and stuff again. im pretty sure i could do just about anything right now, im still just taking it easy so i dont eat sh!t and break it again.