Chain Guide Setup for an 06 Giant Reign- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Chain Guide Setup for an 06 Giant Reign

Anyone had luck with running a chainguide on the 06 Giant Reign? We're using one for a dual sl & mtn X bike and are having all sorts of drive train issues.

Need to know, bottom bracket, specs and any and all info would be helpful. Its my daughters bike and she's loosing patience with the drivetrain and me!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pkrahulec
    Anyone had luck with running a chainguide on the 06 Giant Reign? We're using one for a dual sl & mtn X bike and are having all sorts of drive train issues.

Need to know, bottom bracket, specs and any and all info would be helpful. Its my daughters bike and she's loosing patience with the drivetrain and me!

Thanks
    Either a DRS or SRS E-Thirteen guide should work with some mods...

Here is the DRS on a 06 Reign. You will need to grind the back plate. You will also need to run a 3mm spacer inbetween the BB shell and the BB cup. The one pictured is using a Hone Crankset. I have not dropped a chain on this set-up yet- and have many hours of aggressive riding on it...
    Attached Images Attached Images

In exile
    I've not had any issues dropping my chain, but I can't say you don't.

Like RO did, I have seen a couple of peeps using a DRS. There was a thread on ridemonkey I believe that may help too.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Couple more questions

I've got an SRS so that should work. I noticed that you're not using the ISCG plate. How is the back plate attached?

I've got a RaceFace crank with a non isis bottom bracket (out board bearings) I'm not too familiar with Shimano's Hone. Is it similar to the RF?

Thanks for getting back to me!

p

notabouttoseeyourlight
    The DRS and SRS backplate differ in that the DRS has a smaller hole so that the backplate can get clamped in between the BB cup and the BB shell. On the SRS you have to use the adapter... You might want to fiddle with flipping it over to see if you can acheive the spacing you need.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Members who have read this thread: 0