Caution to those with Kryptonite locks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Caution to those with Kryptonite locks

the locks with the cylinderical key can be opened with a bic pen. Got this from pinkbike
    video
    the pink bike article

mtbr member
    crap! and i have one of those, good thing i dont use it with my bike

I wanna talk to Samson!
    *grabs pen, drives out to the nearest college*
    Last edited by konabiker; 09-16-2004 at 08:49 PM.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    bwahahaha
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    the locks with the cylinderical key can be opened with a bic pen. Got this from pinkbike
    video
    the pink bike article
    That's a pretty old U-Lock he is using, has anyone confirmed that this works on newer locks?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Works on their cylindrical key models, though it seems to be somewhat hit-and-miss (see Gen. Disc. board), but it works on mine. Sounds like Kryptonite is brushing off the problem, as their current models use slotted keys. Considering how much you pay for the (apparently) trustworthy name, you'd ~think~ they would have an exchange program. My guess is that I will have to pay an extra $50 or so for a new lock though. Sure won't be Kryptonite though (I would expect a refund for a severe design flaw...I know that no lock is unpick-able, but a bic pen????). I'll recoup my losses at one of the private schools in the area...those rich brats don't need their expensive bikes anyhow.

Pro Crastinator
    i've got a normal old school one, and the pen is too small to even go in the keyhole.....

Absurd
    So, it sounds like the problem is mainly with pre-2000 models? I've got a New York News, that I just bought ( so I'm assuming it's a 2004?) so from what I can tell I'm safe..(er)?

Anyone??...anyone??

Pro Crastinator
    mine is from 1997 and the pen dosen't fit.....

mtbr member
    May 2004

i called kryptonite

OK,
    I have an EV2000 that was purchased THIS YEAR.
    I called them and provided them the info, they said that they were concerned, as this was one of the locks that was affected.
    They said that they would give me a call by monday at the latest to provide me with details of how they are going to handle it.
    Kudos to those at Kryptonite for excellent customer service as well as their efforts in damage control. I have faith that they will work it out for the better.
    Til then, my bike is going right next to my girlfriend at the beach, no locking it up in case the PB hobos have this one figured out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you using the bigger 'soft plastic' ones...usually with a white barrel? it will be a little small, but can be forced in (stretched), or if you split the pen at the edge. Like I said though, seems to be pretty hit-and-miss...worked on my old-school one (1999?), gonna try it on my g/f's clone tonite. Personally, I wouldn't use any of the cylindrical key models anymore...just cause you can't get it to work, doesn't mean some kid can't. I've also heard that you can file off the nib or whatever on your key, and it still works (just a rumor though....seems wierd that nobody would have thought about that before now)

Pro Crastinator
    i'm gonna get me one of these....

masterlock

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks bulky....if someone is stealing your bike, do you use it to beat them unconcious and handcuff them while you call the police? Looks pretty effective.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    Are you using the bigger 'soft plastic' ones...usually with a white barrel? it will be a little small, but can be forced in (stretched), or if you split the pen at the edge. ...................
    i am using those pens, all i've managed to do so far is destroy 3 of them................

north bush biker

yea

the master craf cuffs are good but i see a slight problem with them... you can lock it to your wheel and bike rack or frame and bike rack... theres s light problem though you ither loose your frame or your wheel. un less you cuff your fronr tire to your frame... to make it un ride able... but i guess it depends on the bike rack to. they could work ...
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

Buckle Up
    Oh great, my local newspaper has an article about this on the front page of todays paper. Looks like ill be searching for a new lock...
    <><

north bush biker

im shure

im shure some of you smart people out there can rig sumthin up to your lock that involves a 12V battery n a slight shock. or just buy an attack dog n have it ride with you.
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

Cynical Bystander
    I just noticed that mine does too, with a picture of someone picking it with a bic pen....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=NRTH SHORE]un less you cuff your fronr tire to your frame... to make it un ride able... QUOTE]

rofl. You lock it outside a convience store, but just the wheel to the bike. You watch, and see somebody come up, and try and lift an awkward 50lb bike and loose wheel. That would be hilarious to watch.!

I liked the old *****
    Jan 2004
    More videos are available here: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...8&page=1&pp=25

It's simple if you think about it: the soft plastic wraps around the pins that don't move, and push down the ones that unlock it - allowing you to twist - ugh, surprised it took someone this long to figure it out.

This does beat the hell out of using a pipe on the U-Locks many years ago . . . a Bic pen is easier to hide than a 2' pipe . . .