which cassette?- Mtbr.com

Thread: which cassette?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

which cassette?

alright so i'm building a new bike and i'm ordering a buttload of parts tonite. i'm going sram 8 speed for the drivetrain cause i'm sick of shimano and breaking chains but i have one question. should i get a 11-34 tooth cassette or a 11-28? i ride mostly urban and dj's and i can't remember the last time i used my lower gears. am i going to regret this? should i go for the 34 tooth?

mtbr member
    did you say 8 speed? I think the 11-34 is a 9 speed and I would go with that plus an x-9 or X-0 derailleur.

Oh, for urban and DJ. I ride SS, if you can find the 8 speed then thats cool too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    oops you're right i meant 11-32 or 11-27. but i'm leaning towards the 11-27. am i making a mistake?

ride hard take risks
    Lots of hills go big, lots of flat go small.

Fartographer

Just Get 9 Speed

It was a pain in the ass when we had to switch to 9 speed. But I don't think there's any good reason not to use it now. But going with 8 speed you're going to be severly limiting your options. I'm running a sram 9 speed cassette and 9.0 rear derrailleur. But I keep thinking about getting an XTR cassette. They're great and still the lightest.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Glad to Be Alive
    X 9's are really sweet....you might want to reconsider going 9
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-15-2005 at 06:40 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

notabouttoseeyourlight
    8 speed rules. I've got 9 speed xtr on my enduro and 8 speed x7 on my hardtail, i'm gonna switch my enduro to the x7 8 speed from my hard tail and go SS on that bike since I only ride it for street & dj's and stuff. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the xtr derailleur and stuff though, maybe put it on my girlfriend's bike.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You're not a roadie.

You don't need all those gears. I've used the same 8 speed XT cassette since 98 and I have no problems or any really worn down teeth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've really liked my 11-34 XT 9 speed. Plus its only 24 grams heavier than the XTR and half the price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i'm NOT going 9 speed! NO WAY!! i'm sick of dealing with it and i'm also sick of shimano. plus i've already got a set of 8 speed x.7 shifters so i'm not changing my mind now

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by PLURPIMPIN
    i'm NOT going 9 speed! NO WAY!! i'm sick of dealing with it and i'm also sick of shimano. plus i've already got a set of 8 speed x.7 shifters so i'm not changing my mind now
    just get 11-34. they're there if you need 'em, and if you don't, don't shift, you've got the same number of gears, you're not gonna save any weight or anything.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Members who have read this thread: 0