carbon Demo- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 59 of 59

Thread: carbon Demo

  1. #1
    DownhillBAWS
    Reputation: jakester29959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    266

    carbon Demo

    what do you all think about it? Will it be that much better than the 2012 demo 8?

  2. #2
    brake later, pedal sooner
    Reputation: ustemuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    813
    no frame only option for 2013 pisssssssses me off. so now i'm boycotting it.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: howardyudoing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    283

  4. #4
    DownhillBAWS
    Reputation: jakester29959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    no frame only option for 2013 pisssssssses me off. so now i'm boycotting it.
    hahaha how much is the frame and is it on the specialized site yet?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    17
    I noticed Mikes bikes has the 2013 frames for September release for $3999

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    289
    It doesn't need different geo or weight for one to feel a difference. The vibration dampening and increased stiffness and strength are all noticeable and impact ride characteristics.

    I bet it will be pretty nice.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    504
    I talked to a guy at Keystone that got his hands on one of the frames. I didn't think it was much lighter really when picking it up. He did say it's a smoother and quiet ride for sure.

  8. #8
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,696
    I was planning on buying one of the compete sworks bike, but Specialized pulled out of all the good bike shops in Orange County, California (So Cal), so there are no decent Specialized dealers around. Oh well...there are plenty of other great carbon DH bikes out there.

    But ultimately, I guess it's for the better; the first couple years of new Specialized carbon frames are often flawed, anyway. At least my last couple sworks bikes were, and from what I've seen of others on early generations. The later versions are usually pretty good, providing they don't source their own shocks.
    May the air be filled with tires!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    no frame only option for 2013 pisssssssses me off. so now i'm boycotting it.
    What are you talking about?

  10. #10
    brake later, pedal sooner
    Reputation: ustemuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwdrums00 View Post
    What are you talking about?
    well i dunno if it's confirmed or not yet but ...

    thats what i read in this thread: Crankworx: First Impressions: Specialized S-Works Demo Carbon

    im just hoping it doesnt come out, cause i dont want to buy it ... (thats a lie, if it comes out i'll want to buy it and i dont have money for it haha)

    this site seems to suggest it is coming frame only : carbon demo @ sicklines

  11. #11
    Moose Member
    Reputation: Moosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,195
    I dislike speshy so much I haven't even considered one. There are so many other bikes I'd rather have than a demo. The carbon undead is the bike I really want, but I don't think I could buy another evil knowing the customer support is do bad. But I see davincis, carbon v-10s, giant glorys, intense M9s, Cove shockers, and bikes like that, and would take any of those over a demo in a heart beat. I think demos are overrated.

    I Rode a demo, and didn't like it. That's my opinion. Doesn't mean demos suck, just mean I don't like them. Don't hate me because I have an opinion.

  12. #12
    Goon de Saint Goonery
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    well i dunno if it's confirmed or not yet but ...

    thats what i read in this thread: Crankworx: First Impressions: Specialized S-Works Demo Carbon

    im just hoping it doesnt come out, cause i dont want to buy it ... (thats a lie, if it comes out i'll want to buy it and i dont have money for it haha)

    this site seems to suggest it is coming frame only : carbon demo @ sicklines
    Dude there's no way they're releasing it build only. They always sell Demos frame only as well.

  13. #13

  14. #14
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,854
    pfff.. Carbon is so 2010. Santa Cruz has plans for an unobtainium frame. If mining operations aren't halted by the locals, the frame will weigh in at -2 lbs.
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: his dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    I dislike speshy so much I haven't even considered one. There are so many other bikes I'd rather have than a demo. The carbon undead is the bike I really want, but I don't think I could buy another evil knowing the customer support is do bad. But I see davincis, carbon v-10s, giant glorys, intense M9s, Cove shockers, and bikes like that, and would take any of those over a demo in a heart beat. I think demos are overrated.

    I Rode a demo, and didn't like it. That's my opinion. Doesn't mean demos suck, just mean I don't like them. Don't hate me because I have an opinion.

    How do you like riding a broken frame? And how do you like supporting a company with one of the worst warranty replacement programs in the world? Sure, you've got a broken frame... We'll take care of that in 3-5 years. At least Spesh has the backing to warranty product or get you a deal on a crash replacement.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

  16. #16
    Moose Member
    Reputation: Moosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    How do you like riding a broken frame? And how do you like supporting a company with one of the worst warranty replacement programs in the world? Sure, you've got a broken frame... We'll take care of that in 3-5 years. At least Spesh has the backing to warranty product or get you a deal on a crash replacement.
    Lol brah, did you read the part where I said I could never buy an Evil again because their customer support sucks?

    Plus, I talked to Kevin a little bit, and he helped me get the parts needed to fix my Revolt, he just can't upgrade me to an Undead unless I pay for crash replacement.

    It only took a couple of months, and a lot of emails. It was painful, and I will never buy and evil again (no matter how sick the undead is...) even though I really want an undead.

    dont get upset because I don't like how demos ride....

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkzeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    Lol brah, did you read the part where I said I could never buy an Evil again because their customer support sucks?

    Plus, I talked to Kevin a little bit, and he helped me get the parts needed to fix my Revolt, he just can't upgrade me to an Undead unless I pay for crash replacement.

    It only took a couple of months, and a lot of emails. It was painful, and I will never buy and evil again (no matter how sick the undead is...) even though I really want an undead.

    dont get upset because I don't like how demos ride....
    Sooo, what makes the demo in your opinion ride crappy?
    Folangag

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzeon View Post
    Sooo, what makes the demo in your opinion ride crappy?
    I think the fact that Moose Drool has 2000 posts in 2 years, is a teenager, and makes videos of "sweet jumps" says enough.

    Obviously a well experienced and versed veteran of DH!

  19. #19
    DownhillBAWS
    Reputation: jakester29959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider View Post
    I think the fact that Moose Drool has 2000 posts in 2 years, is a teenager, and makes videos of "sweet jumps" says enough.

    Obviously a well experienced and versed veteran of DH!
    hey no need to be hating on moose, he just dosnt like demos. imo i think he is wrong and hasnt come to the "light" lol. but he has the right to have his own opinion. but i am curious moosey. why do u think they ride crappy?

  20. #20
    bikeaholic
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider View Post
    I think the fact that Moose Drool has 2000 posts in 2 years, is a teenager, and makes videos of "sweet jumps" says enough.

    Obviously a well experienced and versed veteran of DH!
    Or, it could be that he, like many others, doesn't want to be like everyone else at lift-service parks with Demos. Not everyone aspires to fall victim to Spesh's fanboy TLD pajama wearing OMG DEMOS ARE SO SWEET hypnosis.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    630
    I've ridden my buddy's 2011 Demo. It was fun, but I couldn't decide if I'd want it as my DH bike or not. It felt a bit smaller and twitchier for a Medium than what I'm used to, but that's just a sizing issue. The rear wheel was way easier to whip out sideways, which was super fun for tighter turns or trail sections, but also felt less stable on high speed smooth sections with big berms. The BB height seemed a bit weird too since pedals were clipping dirt a bit just landing jumps. I'm sure that's something you can get used to somewhat, but I wasn't sure it railed corners that much better that the really low BB was worth it. Overall I'd say it was great in the fun/playfulness area, but I didn't feel as solid on it for high speed or gnarly stuff, but that could just take getting used to.

    For background info, I ride a 2011 Norco Team DH, and have ridden my friends' 2012 Norco Aurum, 2012 SC Carbon V10, 2010 Banshee Legend, 2011 Intense M9 and maybe some others. All really fun bikes I would say. Lots of good options out there these days.

  22. #22
    Slap happy crappiness
    Reputation: DHgnaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Or, it could be that he, like many others, doesn't want to be like everyone else at lift-service parks with Demos. Not everyone aspires to fall victim to Spesh's fanboy TLD pajama wearing OMG DEMOS ARE SO SWEET hypnosis.
    Bwahaha, the discussion is about how the Demo rides, not how many fanboys jock the bike...
    That being said, it's a sweet bike... but I don't wanna be a fanboy TLD pajama wearing OMG DEMOS ARE SO SWEET hypnotized dweeb. Plus, you couldn't pry my Turner out of my cold dead hands.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

  23. #23
    DownhillBAWS
    Reputation: jakester29959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    266
    lets get back on topic guys. about the new carbon demo. how will it compare to the v10s? and other bikes?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    601
    you can not compare a demo to a V10, a glory would be closer maybe. V10's are plow bikes, I ride one and love it, I find the steeper you go the better it is. The demo is a bike that needs to be ridden hard but is more lively, and pops better then the V10 however it does not have the plowability.

    Different riders will prefer different bikes. One of the local pro riders rode the demo and hated it for the first trail he rode it on because the trail was slow, however on the next trail which was high speed he said the bike was amazing.

    everyone I know who rides a Demo hard loves them, however you have to ride them hard otherwise they are to slack.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,121
    I agree with Moosey, I'd rather ride a Knolly Podium over anything specialized puts out.

  26. #26
    Moose Member
    Reputation: Moosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider View Post
    I think the fact that Moose Drool has 2000 posts in 2 years, is a teenager, and makes videos of "sweet jumps" says enough.

    Obviously a well experienced and versed veteran of DH!
    Wow haha, didn't realize so many jimmies would get rustled with my original post...

    Hey bud, 2000 posts in 2 years? So what, 1000 posts a year (about). SMT has over 40k in (i forget how old this site is, but lets guess 12 years...) assuming SMT has been posting all 12 years, 40k/12= about 3000. now I am using rough estimates, and overestimating the age of this site, just to prove, that if my post count mattered at all, we should disregard everything SMT says or has said, because he averages 3000 posts a year to my 1000. which is weird because SMT usually gives out really good advice...

    also, my age has nothing to do with anything. I'm 18, so I must be a stereotypical jackass teenager right? I'm stupid, lazy, and buy into all the latest trends and fads, im gullible, and and idoit right? It's Impossible that I'm a neat, respectful teenager who is attending college, and is decently smart? No way! Teenagers be dumb! Hurr!

    And I like making videos of myself jamping? Oh, disregard my opinions! I like making videos! We should start ignoring all other video makers opinions, because according to ARider, that means our opinions are dumb... oh wait, my love for making videos is completely irrelevant... thought so.

    I've ridden a few DH bikes, not all super fancy, some kinda fancy, and the Demo I rode was top of the line, Kirt Vories edition, pro tuned Vivid air, Boxxer WC, all the pro parts. Still didn't matter. The demo was a fine bike, but at the end of my time riding it, my fancy was un-tickled. sorry to be a disappointment to the world, but I didn't love the Demo... oops.

    And to Darkzeon, please find where I said Demos ride "Crappy." I dare you... no... I double dare you. If I recall correctly (and I do, because I'm reading it right now) I said "I Rode a demo, and didn't like it. That's my opinion."

    Dear everyone making a big deal out of my slight dislike for demos, it shows how narrow minded you are getting so butthurt about my opinion of a bike. Seriously, All I said is, they are good bikes, but not for me, I'd take a different bike over a demo very quickly. thats it! I never said they suck, or people that ride them suck! Never! I said its a good bike, but not for me.

    Thanks to Jakester for being one of the most mature ones on here. he acknowledged my opinion, said he though i was wrong, but again noted my opinion and my right to have an opinion, and he didn't get offended or angry with me.

    Thanks... -Moosey

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkzeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    I dislike speshy so much I haven't even considered one. There are so many other bikes I'd rather have than a demo. The carbon undead is the bike I really want, but I don't think I could buy another evil knowing the customer support is do bad. But I see davincis, carbon v-10s, giant glorys, intense M9s, Cove shockers, and bikes like that, and would take any of those over a demo in a heart beat. I think demos are overrated.

    I Rode a demo, and didn't like it. That's my opinion. Doesn't mean demos suck, just mean I don't like them. Don't hate me because I have an opinion.
    My bad. You didn't literally say the demo is a crappy bike. But reading between the lines you seem to implicate that it is. I was just wondering why in your opinion did you dislike the bike so much you wouldn't even consider it. Did it occur to you that maybe the suspension wasn't setup for you with the bike that you tried? At least some of the one's posted here pointed out what they didn't like about the bike and not be so quick to jump to conclusion.

    I've ridden new glory, m9, old v10's, session never did I feel that every bike was better or worse than my bike, just because IT WASN'T SETUP for me, whilst my demo is tuned to my liking, giving me the confidence to ride to my limits. I'm not one to say that I will never consider any brand of bike other than a Spec, just because it's overrated in my opinion
    Folangag

  28. #28
    Moose Member
    Reputation: Moosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzeon View Post
    My bad. You didn't literally say the demo is a crappy bike. But reading between the lines you seem to implicate that it is. I was just wondering why in your opinion did you dislike the bike so much you wouldn't even consider it. Did it occur to you that maybe the suspension wasn't setup for you with the bike that you tried? At least some of the one's posted here pointed out what they didn't like about the bike and not be so quick to jump to conclusion.

    I've ridden new glory, m9, old v10's, session never did I feel that every bike was better or worse than my bike, just because IT WASN'T SETUP for me, whilst my demo is tuned to my liking, giving me the confidence to ride to my limits. I'm not one to say that I will never consider any brand of bike other than a Spec, just because it's overrated in my opinion
    What does bolding the part where I say that I dislike speshy have to do with anything? Saying you don't like a company suddenly mean you think their bikes are crappy? no, I just hate how specialized conducts business. they basically sue anyone they can with no real reason... I find it childish on speshy's part, but doesn't affect my view of their bikes... It does however make me not want to support their company by purchasing one of their bikes. Similair to Evil. I love the revolt and its suspension. It's perfect FOR ME, but I will never buy a carbon undead (unless the circumstances are perfect) because of the company. Even if I did love the Demo 8, I would have trouble buying one because of Specialized's business tactics. but much like Evil, the company doesn't affect my views on the bike... I just didn't like the demo 8 as much as other bikes.

    maybe you should have bolded the part where I said
    I Rode a demo, and didn't like it. That's my opinion. Doesn't mean demos suck, just mean I don't like them.
    reading between the lines there tells me that whoever said that doesn't think demos suck or "ride crappy," they just didn't like it.

    Now as far as setup goes, unless kirt vories doesn't know how to setup a bike, I think the demo I rode was a better setup for myself than the bike I own is. The fork and shock were great, but as far as the actual suspension, it made the bike feel awkward to me. It was pretty good in the rocks, but felt heavy and wanted to stay to the ground. I personally don't like that. My Evil currently feels very light and nimble, meaning I can hop and bounce my way through rocks. Also, the Speshy felt really hard to jump. I could barely clear most jumps on livewire, going faster than I ever did on my M1. It's jumping characteristics didn't impress me as much as other bikes I've ridden.

    Why do you care so much about my opinion of the Demo? Are you satisfied yet? If someone posted "OMG i hate revolts they suck big monkey butthole" I probably wouldn't even reply. I'd laugh to myself, and say "whatever, I love mine" and get over it. I'm very sorry not everyone likes your beloved Demo 8. get over it.

  29. #29
    Team 9.8
    Reputation: Yurik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    93
    I ordered my 2013 Demo, went with aluminum though

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: his dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    Lol brah, did you read the part where I said I could never buy an Evil again because their customer support sucks?

    Plus, I talked to Kevin a little bit, and he helped me get the parts needed to fix my Revolt, he just can't upgrade me to an Undead unless I pay for crash replacement.

    It only took a couple of months, and a lot of emails. It was painful, and I will never buy and evil again (no matter how sick the undead is...) even though I really want an undead.

    dont get upset because I don't like how demos ride....
    Funny thing is that you're still a kid and have been riding for about 5 minutes. With all of your vast knowledge and opinions that you like to impart on others you still have failed to mention that it's taken you about a year and a half to put a front brake on your bike and the only "dh" you've ridden is the jumps you've made in your backyard. Instead of buying into whatever hype a "pro" tells you as he collects your money for the haggard bike he just sold you, form your own opinion and ride other bikes. The suspension feel of an evil is great but it wasn't evil's design and they couldn't execute it properly to make a frame last. Your felt is more of a xc bike than a slopestyle jump bike no matter what Zink told you when he Bro'd down with you.

    At the end of the day you have yet to form your own actual opinions of a bike. You just blindly believe whatever a sponsored rider tells you and you think that coming on here and regurgitating that is beneficial to others. If Hill sold you a demo you'd have a boner for it just like if Atherton sold hou his Commencal. You care less about the bike than the rider on it and what he told you about it.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

  31. #31
    Come at me bro.
    Reputation: drastic.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    300
    Dudeness dropping the hammer.

  32. #32
    Moose Member
    Reputation: Moosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    Funny thing is that you're still a kid and have been riding for about 5 minutes. With all of your vast knowledge and opinions that you like to impart on others you still have failed to mention that it's taken you about a year and a half to put a front brake on your bike and the only "dh" you've ridden is the jumps you've made in your backyard. Instead of buying into whatever hype a "pro" tells you as he collects your money for the haggard bike he just sold you, form your own opinion and ride other bikes. The suspension feel of an evil is great but it wasn't evil's design and they couldn't execute it properly to make a frame last. Your felt is more of a xc bike than a slopestyle jump bike no matter what Zink told you when he Bro'd down with you.

    At the end of the day you have yet to form your own actual opinions of a bike. You just blindly believe whatever a sponsored rider tells you and you think that coming on here and regurgitating that is beneficial to others. If Hill sold you a demo you'd have a boner for it just like if Atherton sold hou his Commencal. You care less about the bike than the rider on it and what he told you about it.
    Funny thing is you don't know me. I've only been riding for a couple years (About 2 and a half) so yeah, 5 minutes. Sorry it took me a couple of months to get a front brake on my bike. wow that means i know nothing? It can't possible be because I'm trying to pay tuition before i buy a front brake, since there were no mounts compatible with my old brake. I don't have $150 to shell out here and there for new stuff, it takes me time to save up for stuff, oh yea, and the nearest decent bike shop is about and hour and twenty five minutes away.

    I also didn't realize that northstar's double blacks, and all the trails at whistler that people rave about are still "Jumps i built in my back yard" oh wait, I think i've ridden some real DH.

    And my felt, does it matter what kind of bike it is? It dirt jumps very well. I found a thread on here from 2005 where people were asking about 4x bikes, and everyone was buying cross country frames! You're an ignorant buffoon if you don't realize that "Slopestyle" bikes, have many of the characteristics of cross country bikes, but they are a little beefier, and have a lower ,sleeker look to them. people are so bought into this "It's marked as a slopestyle bike so that's all it is! That's marked as an XC bike, so its against the law of physics to ride it on something other than XC!" hype that you come across as ignorant child.

    BTW all you know about Cam and I is what i post on here, You didn't listen to the coupla phone calls I shot him asking about the bike and it's characteristics, and how good of a slopestyle bike it really is. Plus the dude lives in a mini-mansion in reno, has a couple hundred thousand dollars in bike stuff sitting in his garage, so my $250 for the felt frame really matters to him. He's really only in it for my $250 because that makes the difference.

    The real reason I like Cam so much is that he is one of the realest people I have met. Even though he such an amazing pro, instead of trying to steal my money, he offers me great deals. When i bought my compulsion, he threw in so much free gear and spare parts, I made a profit off it. Oh, and he explained to me that it's an XC bike (I'm also smart enough to look it up on teh interwebz, wow!) but he also explained that with a lowered shock, the geometry becomes very similar to purpose built slope bikes.

    Sure, if Gee offered me his commencal, depending on the price I'd take it, and yeah, it would make me appreciate him more, but unless he's cool enough to let me sit around in his garage and talk about stuff with him for a while, i doubt I'd be as bro'd out with him. All you hear is I bought Cams bikes, you don't hear about how much we talked about them, you only hear about me buying them, for ridiculously low prices too. Why would he sell them so low? because he cares about me getting out and getting stoked on riding, not because he wants my money. Maybe you should meet and talk to Cam before you judge him/me so much. He really is one of the nicest people (not just rider) but people I've ever met.

    Which brings me to another reason I didn't buy a Demo. A lot of them are jerkoffs that are bought into this DEMOS ARE THE **** AND EVERYONE ELSE SUCKS BECUZ DEMO 4 LYFE ****** hype that they don't even know what they are talking about. If some 6 year old kid cam eon this forum and said "I don't like evil revolts becuz they are for homosex butt lovers!" I'd laugh and shake it off, why? Because it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't proceed to rage on him like all ya'll have about me. I've noticed Demo Riders are some of the biggest d!cks in the sport (Not all demo riders are d!cks, like ustemuf and jakester and other people like that, but it turns out, all d!cks are demo riders.)

    I don't care, keep roid raging on me and telling me my opinion is dumb, and I know nothing. I'm done with this immature fight. I have a right to an opinion, and that opinion is that demos aren't the best bike available. deal with it.

    I really didn't realize I had to be a pompous ass like you to be qualified to judge a DH bike, I'll work on becoming a bigger ******* so I can be just like you.

    Bottom line, I don't like Demos...
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V03jznEQFKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  33. #33
    DownhillBAWS
    Reputation: jakester29959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    266
    hey everybody stop acting like dicks. Moosey just dosnt like demos end of it. now shut the heck up and get back on topic. you guys are even beginning to annoy me. BACK TO CARBON DEMO!!!

  34. #34
    Slap happy crappiness
    Reputation: DHgnaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    Bottom line, I don't like Demos...


    Just relax. You're still the new guy and people will always challenge your opinion, regardless of your experience level.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

  35. #35
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,543
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester29959 View Post
    hey everybody stop acting like dicks. Moosey just dosnt like demos end of it. now shut the heck up and get back on topic. you guys are even beginning to annoy me. BACK TO CARBON DEMO!!!
    Yes back to the Demo. I have a 2011 aluminum one and am going to find some one to let me do a lap on their carbon one next year. I'm in CO and as 50% of the DH community here rides Demos it shouldn't be a problem.

    I've owned an Astrix Huckster, Giant Glory, Commencal Supreme DH. And have done laps on a Sunday, Yeti 303 (RDH and old dual rail), M6, an older Demo 8 and...I think that's it.

    I've found suspension settings and rider style can change what people think of a bike too. A friend (CAT 1 racer) rode my Supreme DH (I'm a CAT 2 racer) and then another friend's same bike, even same Fox suspension, except he races pro. Same rough weight for all 3 of us, 6 foot 200 lbs, and he said it felt completely different. So pro settings/opinions may not work for everyone.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    I dislike speshy so much I haven't even considered one. There are so many other bikes I'd rather have than a demo. The carbon undead is the bike I really want, but I don't think I could buy another evil knowing the customer support is do bad. But I see davincis, carbon v-10s, giant glorys, intense M9s, Cove shockers, and bikes like that, and would take any of those over a demo in a heart beat. I think demos are overrated.

    I Rode a demo, and didn't like it. That's my opinion. Doesn't mean demos suck, just mean I don't like them. Don't hate me because I have an opinion.
    Your opinion is irrelevant since it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    Seem's to me that you're in a post race to get your post count up, it's the only thing i can come up with as to why you are trolling.

  37. #37
    Moose Member
    Reputation: Moosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Your opinion is irrelevant since it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    Seem's to me that you're in a post race to get your post count up, it's the only thing i can come up with as to why you are trolling.
    actually, my opinions are completely relevant to this thread, seeing that it is about the carbon demo, and buying the carbon demo, and my original post mentioned I'd rather buy a different bike over a carbon demo. I'm not trolling. I simply stated that the demo wasn't my favorite, and a ton of immature kids got butthurt, and I just defended myself.

    Back to the topic on hand please.

  38. #38
    Goon de Saint Goonery
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Your opinion is irrelevant since it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    Seem's to me that you're in a post race to get your post count up, it's the only thing i can come up with as to why you are trolling.
    I really like Demos, but that's my opinion. I'm not a big fan of this whole "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" phrase. He wasn't off topic to begin with, until others started to get all defensive. Don't say he's trolling just because you don't like what he has to say.

  39. #39
    Slap happy crappiness
    Reputation: DHgnaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    actually, my opinions are completely relevant to this thread, seeing that it is about the carbon demo, and buying the carbon demo, and my original post mentioned I'd rather buy a different bike over a carbon demo.
    Based only on your experience riding the alloy Demo?
    Nope, he's right. Pretty much everything you've said has close to nothing to do with the original topic; whether the carbon Demo is better than the alloy 2012. Not your opinion on how an alloy (I assume) Demo rides.
    Like I said, just relax, you don't need to prove anything to an online audience... Just ride your bike and have FUN talking about it here.
    Anyways...
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    Back to the topic on hand please.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    actually, my opinions are completely relevant to this thread, seeing that it is about the carbon demo, and buying the carbon demo, and my original post mentioned I'd rather buy a different bike over a carbon demo. I'm not trolling. I simply stated that the demo wasn't my favorite, and a ton of immature kids got butthurt, and I just defended myself.

    Back to the topic on hand please.
    No they farkn aren't, its all there in black and white, why do you need to lie. The thread is about the carbon demo and how it compares and rides to last years model, your rant is not about that, its about how you dislike splesh and would never buy their products. Your post has nothing to do with the carbon demo.

  41. #41
    C S
    C S is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: C S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    612
    Is it only the S-Works that has the 135mm rear end or do all the carbon frames have it? Maybe my reading comprehension sucks but I can't tell what the answer is from the linked article. Also, am I the only one who's never really noticed a clearance difference going from a 135 to a 150? Switching back to 135 would be a pain in the ass for those of us with several 150 rear wheels

    The 2013 Specialized S-Works Demo 8 Carbon Team Replica bike. This is one seriously pimped out ride. The bike is as close as you can get to a Monster Energy / Specialized Factory Racing bike without stealing Sam Hill's bike. These bikes have 12 x 135mm rear spacing for added clearance, while all of the other Demos have 150mm rears.
    The rear end of the Demo I Carbon uses an aluminum upper linkage, rather than the magnesium of the S-Works version, but has the same rear end.

  42. #42
    Slap happy crappiness
    Reputation: DHgnaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by C S View Post
    Is it only the S-Works that has the 135mm rear end or do all the carbon frames have it? Maybe my reading comprehension sucks but I can't tell what the answer is from the linked article.
    Sounds like it to me...
    but has the same rear end
    Quote Originally Posted by C S View Post
    Also, am I the only one who's never really noticed a clearance difference going from a 135 to a 150?
    Nope, I didn't notice really. Pedals and BB are what I notice clearance wise.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    86
    So the carbon is the same exact geo as the alum. Right. My only work for the carbon is breakage. I heard from another ride few years back to stear away from carbon for DH. I was gonna get a carbon bar. He'd say it would shear on the first big drop and I'd lose teeth. How would an entire carbon frame compare?

  44. #44
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,543
    I think it was Dirt that I read Sam's bike was a prototype.

    But all I can say is phack yeah bike industry for possibly bringing back a rear spacing that was supposed to be phased about by the 142mm. And also my thanks for the 157mm, I'll be so excited when I have to throw my 2 sets of Hope hubs out for my next bike.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

  45. #45
    Goon de Saint Goonery
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    90
    I don't see the huge problem with the Team Replica build having a 135 12. It's the only frame which is going to be configured like that. Even the S-Works frameset is going to come with a 150.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by 7point View Post
    So the carbon is the same exact geo as the alum. Right. My only work for the carbon is breakage. I heard from another ride few years back to stear away from carbon for DH. I was gonna get a carbon bar. He'd say it would shear on the first big drop and I'd lose teeth. How would an entire carbon frame compare?
    Cast iron FTW!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: howardyudoing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by 7point View Post
    So the carbon is the same exact geo as the alum. Right. My only work for the carbon is breakage. I heard from another ride few years back to stear away from carbon for DH. I was gonna get a carbon bar. He'd say it would shear on the first big drop and I'd lose teeth. How would an entire carbon frame compare?
    Carbon has come a long long way in the past few years. I wouldn't worry about it now.

    With that said, would I own one? no. Why? because carbon is stupid expensive and I need more shiny stuff for my '12 demo.

  48. #48
    Slap happy crappiness
    Reputation: DHgnaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by 7point View Post
    So the carbon is the same exact geo as the alum. Right. My only work for the carbon is breakage. I heard from another ride few years back to stear away from carbon for DH. I was gonna get a carbon bar. He'd say it would shear on the first big drop and I'd lose teeth. How would an entire carbon frame compare?
    Aaron Gwin, Sam Hill, Gee Atherton, Steve Peat, Greg Minnaar, Troy Brosnan, Justin Leov, Josh Bryceland, Marc Beaumont and more have all been on carbon frames with no ill effects. The GT Fury has been in production for years, the Trek 9.9 is on its second year of production, as is the Santa Cruz V-10 (maybe 3rd?), and with Specialized and Davinci going production with carbon DH frames, I think it's safe to say it won't snap on your first big drop... Maybe second though.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    I think it was Dirt that I read Sam's bike was a prototype.

    But all I can say is phack yeah bike industry for possibly bringing back a rear spacing that was supposed to be phased about by the 142mm. And also my thanks for the 157mm, I'll be so excited when I have to throw my 2 sets of Hope hubs out for my next bike.
    They have spacers you can use with 150mm hubs to convert them to 157mm right? I'm kinda annoyed too, but at least I can keep my nice wheelset...for now.

  50. #50
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,543
    Quote Originally Posted by genemk View Post
    They have spacers you can use with 150mm hubs to convert them to 157mm right? I'm kinda annoyed too, but at least I can keep my nice wheelset...for now.
    I got lucky I had Hope hubs on my XC bike; going from 135 to 142 just took adapters. Others may not be so lucky.

    I'm not sure if they have the 150 to 157. If they do then I'll reduce my complaints to just standard whining.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    I got lucky I had Hope hubs on my XC bike; going from 135 to 142 just took adapters. Others may not be so lucky.

    I'm not sure if they have the 150 to 157. If they do then I'll reduce my complaints to just standard whining.
    Yeah, my buddy got the Norco Aurum which uses 157mm in the back and reused his I9 wheels that have a 150mm hub. It's just some spacers that you throw in there. Not a huge deal...for now.

  52. #52
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,436
    just wanted to say that you guys arguing are all dumbasses. yes, all of you....


  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: howardyudoing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    283
    $10k for 2013 carbon demo 2!!!!!!

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkzeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    $10k for 2013 carbon demo 2!!!!!!
    Not quite, that's the team replica. Demo II is 6,600.

    $4k - s-works frame
    $4,400 - session carbon frame
    Folangag

  55. #55
    Goon de Saint Goonery
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    just wanted to say that you guys arguing are all dumbasses. yes, all of you....
    And you're no better for bringing it up again.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: howardyudoing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzeon View Post
    Not quite, that's the team replica. Demo II is 6,600.

    $4k - s-works frame
    $4,400 - session carbon frame
    "Carbon" team replica then. lol

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    371
    I think it is interesting on their website it shows a Demo8 1 carbon but no Demo8 2 carbon, only alloy. I would figure a 2 would be the more likely complete. In my head it is for the higher end market? Maybe they feel like the high end will buy just a frame? Possibly replica...
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

    The internet is a tough place to ride

  58. #58
    DownhillBAWS
    Reputation: jakester29959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    266
    $10,000 for team replica!!!!

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    289
    Problem with the Team Replica isn't the price. Problems are Vivid coil shock and SRAM brakes! If this were a real Team Replica, we'd get a Fox shock disguised with Vivid stickers

    Bit disappointing that the Carbon Demo frame comes in at $4,000. With the far lighter Session 9.9 for just $400 more, and the highly adjustable and awesome V10 for $700 less, I don't understand the point. Carbon Demo frame needs to be $3300 to have a chance, in my amateur opinion. And I'd still take the V10, personally...

    Talking kits, one can have the Demo II aluminum for $6,600, with loads of SRAM junk (though thank Gods a CCDB), vs a V10 with Saint/Fox40 for $1,100 more. Santa Cruz continues to deliver value.

    At least both color schemes on the Carbon Demo are beautiful. But then, the 2013 V10 color scheme is sexy as fvck too.
    Last edited by recitio; 08-30-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.