Carbon Bars Shattering- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Carbon Bars Shattering

How many of you have had carbon bars? Have they shattered? If it makes any difference, I am a racer not a freerider so I'm not going to be bailing out of any 15 foot drops (9 is about the biggest I do) but I'll probably be wrecking on things like rock gardens.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollapalooza
    How many of you have had carbon bars? Have they shattered? If it makes any difference, I am a racer not a freerider so I'm not going to be bailing out of any 15 foot drops (9 is about the biggest I do) but I'll probably be wrecking on things like rock gardens.
    you will get about 25+ replies from people that have not used carbon bars, maybe not even seen any, that will tell you they will break and not to get them... just a warning
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

-> SickLines.com <-
    personally i've never broken any of my carbon bars but i have seen broken carbon bars. Get a torque wrench if you do. Why is it you want to go with carbon bars exactly?

Still a child inside...
    make a search: handlebar+carbon, you'll find MANY threads
    in general 50% of the people use it and the another half is scared...

north bush biker
    i have seen them snap..... but the guys were wearing chest armor.. so that saved them alot of chest damage....

mine haven't broken yet. but hey to each his own...... id presonaly like to see a lighter gauge bar then wraped in carbon.... or somthing along those lines....they wouldn't be as lite. but they would probaly be in mid range in wieght....
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Why is it you want to go with carbon bars exactly?
    Weight. The bar I'm looking at is under 200g.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...andlebars.aspx

Are there any sub-250g bars that aren't carbon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    you will get about 25+ replies from people that have not used carbon bars, maybe not even seen any, that will tell you they will break and not to get them... just a warning
    IMO.....If your racing i wouldnt worry about the minor weight difference..............rather have a bit more weight(Race Face Diabolus bars are killer) and know in the back of my mind they are alot stronger!!!!! You dont see many if any freeride bikes coming with carbon bars......mainly an XC thing!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mine broke in a month of FRing

flow where ever you go

that's heavy-ish

for carbon......... but is heavy stronger???

Good price on it.
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 10-22-2006 at 12:49 PM.

Going for a ride......
    Aluminium bars around 250g - yes it's hard to get sub 250g bars unless you go to the XC range.

Truvativ Team - 260g It's strong just like the Hussefelt but a heap lighter.
    http://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/mtbb...m/riserbar.php

I just brought a Race Face Deus myself (200g). It's XC though - so depends how rough you are & how heavy. I believe they would be well built and strong - after all they offer a 3yr warranty as opposed to 1yr.

Next best thing: something like a Syncros Bulk Bar 7075Al (265g) - you can even get them in the new fashionable flat white finish!

Answer ProTaper OS 270g

Truvativ Team Carbon - 170g

http://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/mtbb...n/riserbar.php

If you're talking about 50 - 100g saving I'd probably look at getting some lighter tyres instead. But then agian I'm not really a fan of carbon - apart from it looking nice.
    energetix

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Lolla-

I would look for a carbon DH bar around 250g. A 190g bar may not sound that much different, but 60g of carbon is a lot of material!

My personal favorite is the Gravity Carbon. You are in Northern Utah, right? If you want to check them out, PM me.

My 2 cents.

JMH

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by energetix
    Truvativ Team - 260g It's strong just like the Hussefelt but a heap lighter.]
    nice bar, but a bs advertised weight. mine weighs 310g.

mechmann_mtb
    my carbon bar didn't snap, but i noticed what looked like a crack forming on the top of the bar next to the stem and tossed them. aluminum bars snap too... so the only real solution if you want no failures is to either get a new bar periodically or ride really heavy ones that are bulletproof.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    it is a good idea to check for ruffness or casting burrs on the inside of the stem where it will contact the bars. If there is a burr in the stem it will wers the bar out in that area and cause it to fail extremely quickly, same with aluminum but not as quick. Just smooth the inside of teh stem lightly especialy around the edges with a rat-tail file or sand paper and you should be fine.

Oh, So Interesting!
    People don't understand carbon very well. It has higher impact resistance than any aluminum alloy (yes, I can prove this), but fractures like a brittle material. Brittle fracture strength is primarily determined by IMPERFECTIONS in the material. So if carbon is already cracked or gauged, it won't take much to actually break it. Aluminum is weakened by cracks and gauges, but has a much higher resistance to the crack continuing through the material.

So, carbon is stronger as long as you have not already f*ed it up.

Different aluminum alloys also fail in different ways... 7075 is strong, but it can also fracture like a brittle material. 2024 is more ductile, so it will often bend before it breaks, but will make for a slightly heavier bar than 7075. 2024 is a popular aerospace alloy because it has good fatigue life, and resistance to crack propigation (it's "tough")

I think that a 2024 bar is good for fr/dh if you don't want to replace it often. I'd retire a 7075 bar after a major gauge/scratch or after it was used for a couple seasons. Carbon is great, but only if you inspect it often for defects, and replace it if it gets dinged or cracked. Unfortunately this can be tough to tell with carbon...

I bought a Diety bar. Its 2024, 325g, and is more likely to bend before it breaks than a lot of other bars. For dh racing carbon would be nice, but I'd have to replace it after a major crash just for peace of mind.

resident cynic
    Remember when titanium bars were popular? I had a white brothers ti bar. Fortunately it bent before it broke. The funny thing was that I was at the VERY TOP of Hazzard County (34 miles of DH ahead of me) when someone noticed it was bent. That was definitely in the back of my mind as I rode that trail.

I've never ridden carbon, but I'm a clyde, so I never would.

gnar, brah

that seems like more of an XC oriented bar. while it might not snap, be wary that lighter carbon bars will have a little bit of flex in them, which may not be what you want in a freeride bar.

the easton monkeylite dh is a good carbon bar for aggressive use. I ride on now, but I'm going to be replacing it with a race face diabolus here in a bit because I think the carbon may have been compromised from crashes and general wear and tear. regardless, I believe easton describes it as the strongest handlebar out there. which is true as long as the carbon is in good shape. whatever, my bar is three years old, time for some new bling.
    Trestle Bike Park

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by evannever
    Remember when titanium bars were popular? I had a white brothers ti bar. Fortunately it bent before it broke. The funny thing was that I was at the VERY TOP of Hazzard County (34 miles of DH ahead of me) when someone noticed it was bent. That was definitely in the back of my mind as I rode that trail.

I've never ridden carbon, but I'm a clyde, so I never would.
    I'm actually not sure why you don't hear of old Ti frames breaking more often... but you sure don't see dh/fr frames made of Ti.

I read about SlowerThanSnot taking major digger running a Ti prototype bar recently.

Schmeow Productions
    they broke on a friend and he got carbon splinters all up in his armpits.... it was gross.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    People don't understand carbon very well. It has higher impact resistance than any aluminum alloy (yes, I can prove this), but fractures like a brittle material. Brittle fracture strength is primarily determined by IMPERFECTIONS in the material. So if carbon is already cracked or gauged, it won't take much to actually break it. Aluminum is weakened by cracks and gauges, but has a much higher resistance to the crack continuing through the material.
    I disagree a bit. Carbon fiber is excellent at resisting crack propgation. If there is a crack or chip, the epoxy used to bond it is very good at keeping it from spreading. The fibers are what give the material its strength. If they are broken then that one area can't support any load, but it will be shifted to an area nearby that is intact, and if the part was made properly and with enough of a 'safety margin' built in, it won't present any further issues. The problem is that it's basically irreparable, and that just as with any other material, as little as possible is used to still have acceptable strength. If the crack happens and locally weakens the material enough, then the next time it is loaded the rest of the material just won't be strong enough and it will catastrophically fail. Considering the way that bike parts are loaded and that manufacturers always get away with using as little material as possible for weight reasons, that's probably what usually happens.

As far as aluminum (and all other metals), imperfections in the material on the level of grain/crystal structure are what help determine properties like ductility, brittleness, tensile strength, etc... I don't mean to lecture as you may already know this subject, but others may not. Imperfections are by no means a "bad thing", depending on which ones you are talking about.

Members who have read this thread: 0