Car Racks for Downhill bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Car Racks for Downhill bikes

I am looking at getting a car rack for my new Trek Session 10. I have a 4 door car. I think i would prefer keeping the pride and joy on the roof but does anyone have any good sugestions or can someone tell me what they use?

Glad to Be Alive
    efff dat

get a trailer hitch rack

install a trailer hitch to your car
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

TNC
    noMAD man

What kind of car?

If it's a car that'll take a rear hitch rack, the Thule T-2 will handle FR/DH (or anything else) bikes as well as any. Roof racks with heavy bikes may not be the best idea for some cars. And one day...yes you will...one day you'll drive under something with your bike on top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I have a YAKIMA KING COBRA. It works good, but the tension nuts on the front wheel do loosen. If you are worried spend $20 and get an extra clamp for the front wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have had 2 bikes on the roof for 500 miles or so! Stop and check every 250 or so and it si good!!!!!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    If it's a car that'll take a rear hitch rack, the Thule T-2 will handle FR/DH (or anything else) bikes as well as any. Roof racks with heavy bikes may not be the best idea for some cars. And one day...yes you will...one day you'll drive under something with your bike on top.

yep Blam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Screw having to chack, got with the thule T2 you never have to have a second thought
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i'll second the vote for yakima. works perfectly for an orange 223 (weird downtube) and a turner highline.
    never had it go loose just pull down on the front tyre when you tighten it up and it's been fine through wind, rain and snow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    i love my sportworks rack
    Just ride.....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have Thule. Fits up to 3" tires and is pretty secure. The only pain is when I have to lift mine and my wife's 40lb rig on the roof. Besides, works pretty well.

http://www.thule.com/
    Drewski

“The Beatings will Continue Until Morale Improves”

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I second the Thule. I don't have one but shuttle often with several friends that have them and let mt tell you there is no other rack design that is so easy and quick to load DH bikes on.

mtbr member

My Hook Up works great!

My buddy has a King Cobra on the top of his Explorer. Worked well with my Bighit and his Tazer but I don't know about really windy conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

Glad to Be Alive
    really TNC said it best....it sucks to lift your bike over your head after a tiring ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    We have both the King Cobra racks and Hookup rack for two different cars. The hookup (Trailer Hitch Type) is soooooo much easier to use. It does give new meaning to backing up carefully as it really puts a lot of extra lenght into the car.

https://bikeguy.smugmug.com/photos/77986943-M.jpg

While I have had the Cobras for about three~four years, I've never had a problem with the star nut coming loose. They are great racks for roof and are great if you cannot mount a trailer hitch on your car (and you get an extra workout lifting the bikes on to the roof).

Regards
    Rick

always learning
    Sportworks/Thule T2 and never worry about it again.

My buddy uses Yakima King Cobra's and likes them.

hey, what the!
    I use a reciever hitch mount Swagman XC to haul a Santa Cruz VPFree. Works great and it's only $125.00. No problems with weird downtube angles.

I fix choppers

Cool-blue Rhythm Now Lets Ride!

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Dude!!!! I want one of those Santa Cruz "Now Lets Ride" stickers. That is the rack I am getting too.

mtbr member
    I have the King Cobra as well. Not one problem at all with it...I love the lock too, it's nice to know your bike is locked up if you run into 7-11 for something. IMHO people that complain about the red knob are idiots. I have over 5 large in my bike and I don't mind the red knob one bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    King cobras all the way! i have a session7 on the roof of my pontiac vibe.

mtbr member
    UHH OK? Like the people who complain about older BOXXERs and their rebound issues or what? That is what our rack has done in the past! But then again we drive rough roads and that doesn't help it. BUT I DO RECCOMEND THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    try the bike spike @ www.bikespike.com
    fits ANY kind of bike
    Pinning it Nor Cal style

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by zazz rides
    try the bike spike @ www.bikespike.com
    fits ANY kind of bike
    Wow. I'd have to see that in person cause right now I would not want to put my bike on there, seems like it would put a lot of force on the seattube. Do you have one of those? If so how do you like it?

mtbr member
    No thanks to the BIKE SPIKE. NO WAY.

mtbr member
    deffinately get one that goes in the trailer hitch if you have one
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just reiterating what has been said; I own both the Thule T2 (for my pickup truck), as well as the King Cobra (for my not-so-stout Toyota Corolla).

Both great racks. Never had the loosening problem that was mentioned in a previous post (you should be grabbing the front tire while rotating it forward, while tightening the red knob). However, as has been stated--lifting a 40lb bike to the top of your car, while rolling it forward into the supports can be a bit tiring. Still, for a lot of compacts, it's the "only" solution (without having expensive hitch receivers installed).

I've never been concerned about the strength of the King Cobra, btw. I am more concerned about my Corolla falling apart before the bike falls off.

g

Members who have read this thread: 0