Cannondale, Giant, Specialized Downhill Bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Listen! Cannondale, Giant, Specialized Downhill Bikes

I'm starting to race downhill and my hardtail just isn't cutting it so my parents *might* be helping me buy one for my birthday. The shop that I work at sells Cannondale, Giant, Specialized. I don't want the retail of the bike to be over 3000 but I won't be spending that much because I'll be getting an E.P. What kind of bike do you think I should go for? Giant Faith 2? Giant DH Comp? Others? Thanks
    Ridin' the streets of C-P-T in N-O-V-A

Glad to Be Alive
    DH Comp
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    DH Comp
    I'm going to be doing 15 foot drops and I want to race it so will the DH comps suspension be able to handle those drops? Also, do you know how well it pedals?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by pntballpunk51
    I'm going to be doing 15 foot drops and I want to race it so will the DH comps suspension be able to handle those drops? Also, do you know how well it pedals?

pedals fine...might want to get a floating brake w/that.....the locals who ride those go big...15 feet should be ok
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    thanks a lot, i got to check the e.p. pricing tomorrow and see how much of a discount i can get.

mtbr member
    I haven't heard anything about brake jack with this frame. All I've heard is that it tracks really well and sticks to the ground....and the linkage bolts like to come loose, lol. Do you think brake jack will be a serious issue or do you think I'll be fine? Anyways, I don't think theres a way to mount a floating brake on the frame.

Uhhhhh...
    Um, Demo.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    I doubt any of the demo's would come close to my budget even on employee pricing. My budget is basically MAX 2300

Uhhhhh...
    I doubt any of the demo's would come close to my budget even on employee pricing. My budget is basically MAX 2300
    I *GUARANTEE* a few will.

mtbr member
    does a apply?

mtbr member
    demo 8, not the pro, but the DH comp is a sweet bike too. Cannondales are sweet, but i can't say to much about them, i don't know them that well.

mtbr member
    The real high end DH cannondale looks nice but in my opinion cannondales are good bikes but wayyyyy overpriced

Certified Moots Whore...
    get a demo 8... lighter than a demo 9 with more than enough travel for dhing and freeriding... kyle strait used it at the red bull rampage and won the damn thing... those are some tough bikes...

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Clever...
    get a demo 8... lighter than a demo 9 with more than enough travel for dhing and freeriding... kyle strait used it at the red bull rampage and won the damn thing... those are some tough bikes...
    not the pro model and it might come near your budget.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Go for either the Giant DH Comp or the Specialized Demo 8. Both will handle DH and the occasional 15 footer no problem. The Giant is a heavier frame, though. The Faith can do DH, but it's more of a FR oriented bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I can vouch for the fsr set-up, having ridden last years IH dh (loved it), but the cannondale DH will save you a few pounds...but it's not as light as people may think it is (just under 12lbs). There may be better linkage designs out there, but coming from a hardtail background, I think the cannondale would be a good choice. The a$s end of the bike is relatively light and easy to position and it pedals well, but it doesn't allow for you to be lazy. Remember, everything will seem like a Cadillac after racing a HT, so enter the FS world and enjoi. And yeah, the cannondales are overpriced, but it's the folks money, right...?

mtbr member
    good point you got there

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    DH Comp

Without a doubt, get the DH Comp--it's a no brainer...

screw road bikes
    I haven't heard anything about brake jack with this frame. All I've heard is that it tracks really well and sticks to the ground....and the linkage bolts like to come loose, lol. Do you think brake jack will be a serious issue or do you think I'll be fine? Anyways, I don't think theres a way to mount a floating brake on the frame.

I had one...NEVER noticed the brake jack...goes fast, sticks to the ground...And it's world cup proven(kinda)...Miles Rockwell 2000 WC...I wouldn't touch the faith if you want to race.

Linkage does like to come loose, but it's not really that big of an issue...takes about 2 seconds to fix with some red loctight.
    Full Tilt Cyclery
    GT Bicycles
    Oakley
    Sram and Co.
    Fox
    Go Fast
    MAXXIS

I

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WWT
    Without a doubt, get the DH Comp--it's a no brainer...

Wouldn't the Demo 8 be a better bike than the dh comp? Sorry, but it's just hard for me to be convinced if you don't back up your statement. But anyways, thanks for your input everyone!

mtbr member
    good point you got there
    Get a demo they can handle anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Does the Giant DH Comp or the Demo 8 have better small bump sensitivity? Which one can take bigger hits without worrying about anything breaking? I am also considering a big hit and a gemini 2000. If I got a bighit I would definitely switch out the fork to something else (i don't know what yet). Any thoughts?

Uhhhhh...
    Does the Giant DH Comp or the Demo 8 have better small bump sensitivity? Which one can take bigger hits without worrying about anything breaking? I am also considering a big hit and a gemini 2000. If I got a bighit I would definitely switch out the fork to something else (i don't know what yet). Any thoughts?
    Demo, now.

Knolly Bikes for life!!!
    Apr 2005

... and if we just ... I second that

Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Um, Demo.
    I just drool all over my Demo9.

mtbr member
    Demo 8 can go real big. and i think it pedals quite well and i wouldn't get the bighit, lots of pedalbob

mtbr member
    I LOVE my Demo 9. If you dont think any will come close (or if any really wont...) see if you can get an 04 pro, E.P. and upgrade the few things youd need to such as a Chainguide...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    I LOVE my Demo 9. If you dont think any will come close (or if any really wont...) see if you can get an 04 pro, E.P. and upgrade the few things youd need to such as a Chainguide...
    Werd.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    Yea I happen to know that specialized has closeouts on demo 9 pros from last year. But bc its on closeout you can get an e.p.
    Demo's can go bigger than any bike out there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadHucker
    Yea I happen to know that specialized has closeouts on demo 9 pros from last year. But bc its on closeout you can get an e.p.
    Demo's can go bigger than any bike out there!
    Well maybe not E.P., but atleast cost... (Of the shop, not the company...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    How does the Boxxer hold up on big drops? I've heard the XXX seals make a huge difference and the new boxxers don't have the problems like the old boxxers did.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Both the Giant DH Comp and Demo 8 have great small bump sensitivity, and both can handle just about anything you can throw at it. If you're looking into racing, don't get the BigHit. Like the Faith, it can race DH, but it's more of a FR oriented bike. You can get a floating brake kit for the Giant; it clamps onto the seat tube. I rode a Giant DH for a couple of years; bike handles VERY well.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    If you work at a bike shop full time and are getting an employee purchase look into the c'dale gemini DH complete. dorado, 6 way, 829s, downright f*cking loaded. It'll just meet your budget too. nice riding bike, i dont feel like breaking down its strenghts and weaknesses, if you got 3k to spend for a dh bike you should know what to look for anyways

mtbr member
    Well I don't work full time, I just work a couple days a week for a little cash because I'm in high school. What I meant was that I was looking for bikes around 3500 *retail*. I really don't have that much to spend but with an employee purchase, it would bring down the price a lot.

Light, Strong and Long
    Jan 2005
    Well I don't work full time, I just work a couple days a week for a little cash because I'm in high school. What I meant was that I was looking for bikes around 3500 *retail*. I really don't have that much to spend but with an employee purchase, it would bring down the price a lot.
    Go for a Cannondale Gemini 3000. The bike has rock solid handleing and a really nice feel all around. Plus you get the downhill style frame with the floating brake link. Its decked with race ready stuff too, 888 fork, truvativ cranks, mavic wheels, hayes mag disc brakes, your getting a sweet amount of stuff for the money. And i think employe purchasing is right around $2000, right in your price range.
    Everyones got a little weight weinee in them

mtbr member
    I think the demo 8 pro is 3500 or less with e.p or go with the demo 9 which is cheaper then the demo 8 pro. I dont like boxxers they look frail.

mtbr member
    Just to remind u Kyle Strait won red bull rampage on a demo 8 pro and Steve Rominouk who came in 3rd was also riding a demo
    Basically demos kick ass. Dont recall seeing any giants at redbull rampage. Keep this in mind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Myles won the Worlds on the older-style DH bike, the ATX Team, not the newer "moto-style" DH Team frame. Both are good bikes though, I really, really liked my DH Team...

BN

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Gemini DH all th way

I just got rid of a big hit for the Gemini DH frame, i have it loaded up with a 66rc it handles better then the big hit and take the doubles and big stuff way better, it strait up kick ass.
    I got the frame ep for 990.

mtbr member
    I ride the Gemini DH frame since 5 Months and all I can say - I looooove it. It has a superb handling and is light and really stiff. Try it !
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sweet ride but i must say the bomber kills the bike.

Innovate or die!
    look at recent demo questions thread to see how the gemini stacks v. demo

Is TheSherpa using reverse phsychology? Wow cool to see you recommending a specialized!

Anyway, EP for the demo 8 pro is 2600 i think. Think about it-- Ti spring front and rear, swinger 4-way, magnesium pedals, hella nice mavic 721 rims, hayes mags, FOX 40 RC2, holzfeller crankset, XT components. There are some other cool bike out there, but if you want a race bike that can handle FR get the demo 8, the companies in that list don't have comparative bikes as of now. Next years giant will be sicktor tho. The regular demo 8 is cool, but it comes with a mother-of-call-crap boxxer race. Enjoy the fully.
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.