Canfield Jedi shock decision (Elka, Avalanche, or CCDB) Any opinions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Canfield Jedi shock decision (Elka, Avalanche, or CCDB) Any opinions?

Hi all,

I'm looking to try a different rear shock on my Jedi since the Roco WC that came on it literally has one rebound setting.

I know Chris Canfield is jazzed about the Elka, but after having huge buyers remorse from my 2010 Boxxer purchase, I'm hesitant to throw more money away on another "fresh to market" component. I'd consider this shock but would like to hear some real world opinions.

I'd also like to hear some opinions from anyone who's run a Avalanche chubby, Avy DHS, or Cane Creek Double Barrel on a Jedi. I know some out there are running air Roco's but I'd prefer to stick it out with coils for now.

The Roco offers up a bouncy, poppy, ride which I like, but I feel I could use more damping in both directions. The CCDB seems right on paper, but Chris doesn't seem to recommend it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by k1creeker; 07-13-2009 at 12:30 PM.

******ed or Branded??
    I would stick to what the designers say is a good shock for that bike. Being that they know what is definitly good for that bike. I also bought a 2010 boxxer but am the lucky ones out there that didn't get the problems. If Chris say's the elka then it's the elka hands down. I too will be soon wanting to upgrade to a shock and spoke with Chris and he advised me to use the elka.

I don't know the extent of the conversation you have had with Chris but I know he can break it down for you why that shock is the best even against the CCDB.
    When I bought my frame I asked Chris if rocking the Vivid or the CCDB would be a good choice he said to either go all out and get the elka or stay on a DHX till you are ready. So I saved my money and stuck with the DHX and now am ready for the upgrade. Plus this gives me a back up shock which is still primo.

Just basically stick to what the designers say, cause they definitly would know what they are talking about compared to anyone here on the internet. Sorry guys but you know it's true!
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I'm running an Elka and have been for around 6 weeks now. I've put a lot of mileage on it (several big rides per week) and am coming off of riding a CCDB. The Elka is fantastic, just a stellar shock for a DH bike. It can flow some serious oil, there is no chance of this shock not keeping up with your Jedi. I love the CCDB but it's not correct for the Jedi, it's to linear.

To boot, Sebastian @ Elka is a real nice guy if you have an C/S needs.

Sure, there are other great shocks on the market but I really think you'll be happy with the Elka.

Committed
    I have been riding an Elka for a few months now, it is the real deal. After time on a DHX and Roco, the Elka is in a whole different league. The difference in performance is huge.
    Recommended.

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    Err and I got our Elka's on the same day, and I second his opinion. I like it so much on my Crown that I want one for my Marque too. Listen to Chris, go with the Elka...

biking is fun
    Another option what is lighter is to go with the Roco WC air. there are alot of us running these on our jedi's. Lance rode one all of last year. It feels so buttery on this bike. Its really easy to tune as well. The 3 local jedi owners around here all have the WC air, also Bullcrew on here beat his all of last year with nothing but good things to say about it.

If you are going coil then go with the elka. You can't beat a custom tune. I have only bounce tested Err's on his manstorm and it feels lovely. If i ever decided to switch shocks (i doubt i will, the WC air rocks) then i would go for an elka.

mtbr member
    I've been running the Elka on my Disco, and so far very impressed with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    elka on my 09 jedi.

best feeling rear end of any bike/shock combo i've ever ridden. Feels bottomless, plush, i can hammer on the pedals... i have no complaints.
    *2009 Canfield F1 Jedi
    *2008 Superco Charger
    *2008 Giant ReignX-0

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Another option for Roco is Push. I have a Roco WC on my Jedi and originally thought it was decent enough but not really happy with it. When it blew, I had Push do the full blown factory race tune on it. It came back worlds better and pricing is around 230$, so less than a new shock. I cannot compare it to an Elka so take it with a grain of salt but it is an option worth considering and I am by no means in the market for a new shop since the tune. I have ridden the Jedi with a DHX and felt the stock DHX performed better than stock Roco WC on that bike if that helps you get an idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks to all for the useful insight. The Elka is going to be ordered up tomorrow.
    bubba makes a strong case for the WC air, but kind of leary of air shocks for DH at my size. (6'1" and a not fat 205#)

aenema, I plan to keep the Roco as a backup and will likely send it in to Push over the winter. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks again!

Ride report once I get some time on it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just ordered up an elka. Should be coming in some time this week. Have a CCDB, never really been happy with it, never been able to get it set up where I'm really happy with it. I hear the new tune works better, but I'm over it, I'd rather make profit and switch to something that works well, and has better help/tech support. Sounds like you've already made your decision though

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    Thanks to all for the useful insight. The Elka is going to be ordered up tomorrow.
    bubba makes a strong case for the WC air, but kind of leary of air shocks for DH at my size. (6'1" and a not fat 205#)

aenema, I plan to keep the Roco as a backup and will likely send it in to Push over the winter. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks again!

Ride report once I get some time on it...
    bullcrew weighs in the 220 or 230 range i believe. he rode his very hard for a year.

im sure you wouldn't be disapointed in the elka though.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Make sure to write a review after you had some time on it. If the BOS shock doesn't work out on my Jedi, Elka would be the next on the list.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jutny
    elka on my 09 jedi.

best feeling rear end of any bike/shock combo i've ever ridden. Feels bottomless, plush, i can hammer on the pedals... i have no complaints.
    jutny, I've sent you a PM.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    go with the vivid 5.1 cheep dont need any tuning just works fine with parale links..
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0