Canfield Formula 1??- Mtbr.com
    PURA VIDA
    May 2006

Canfield Formula 1??

Hey all, i'm looking into building a new DH specific bike. I currently ride a santa cruz bullit but am looking to upgrading. I've been looking alot into the Versus Weapon-X which i like due to the price, travel and floating rear brake. However lately i've been very interested in the Canfield Formula 1. Does anybody have any experience with this frame? likes and dislikes? I'd be using it primarly for downhilling with minor freeriding so weight isn't really too much of a worry. Let me know, thanks. I am also open to other frame recommendations, just let me know why.

mtbr member
    I've ridden many DH frames. Rocky mountain RMX, Kona Stab, Foes mono, GT DHI...
    My current frame is a canfield brothers f1 2004.
    What i can tell about this frame, is that its the best i've ever tried!
    It can be used for everything. Pure DH and allso freeride setups.
    I run mine with a Ava - Woodie shock and a totem solo air fork, and allso singlespeed.
    This is because i mostly do freeride stuf, but its no problem to build a lightweight
    dh racer.
    The frame is plush (feels botomless), but still resposive. Its durable and light.
    Allso alot of racers are starting to use this frame here in norway, and they say its
    great for dh racing.

My advice is to try the F1 if you can, its a great frame!
    "Cut my milk!!!"
    -I can't sir, it's liquid.
    "Imbisile!. Freeze it, then cut it!!!"

mtbr member
    Canfield would be an awesome choice. Contact them and see if you can arrange a test ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Chairlift Connoisseur
    I used to own a Versus Blitz and will say this....I find it hard to believe that there is a company with better customer service.

As far as recommendations for frames, I have a Turner DHR and my buddy has a Canfield F1. I don't think that you can go wrong with either (I really like my Turner).

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    The Weapon is more of a huck monster.

The Canfield is a refined DH race machine focused on going fast, very fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You've made a great choice!!! The F1 is an AMAZING 9" travel, eat everything up DH ride!!! I rode an F1 last season and was blown away with the confidence at speed that bike gave me!!! It is so stable and easy to ride. I just found myself wanting something a tad more freeride oriented... I now ride a Lucky. One of my Bro's rode a Bullet for almost 3 season and last year he made the switch over to an F1 as well. Results?? Faster, smoother and started hucking a whole lot bigger.

I guess you can tell I'm a fan of the Brothers bikes... the customer service they have given me has blown me away!!! Call Chris or Lance directly and they'll get you stoked on riding one of the best bikes out there!!!

Hope that helps...

Vin
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I rode a F1 and was blown away by how balanced and responsive it was for such a big bike. The travel feels bottomless and eats up anything you throw at it. It drives through terrain and holds a line very well. It is fast....very fast. Great bike, good luck.

PURA VIDA
    May 2006
    Thanks a lot for all your responses, Canfield can thank you guys for selling me on the F1 rig. Pumped to build one up and get into the DH scene out here at Big Sky Montana, being from Alaska we had to shuddle or push everything so having a lift operation will be primo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT
    I just found myself wanting something a tad more freeride oriented... I now ride a Lucky.
    Hey, do you have any other photo's of the bike? I've only seen one other (outside of the Canfields bro's bike itself) built up.

The Lucky is a great frame... I raced mine at the weekend and when you get a trail that lets you open that baby up it flies. I was really impressed with the way the suspension soaked up the trail and I was pumping everything in sight. Loved it.

The F1 has a similar and more extreme axle path (hence the idler pulley) I can imagine that's it's a very confidence inspiring DH race bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE=jon_boy]Hey, do you have any other photo's of the bike? I've only seen one other (outside of the Canfields bro's bike itself) built up.

Here's a closer pic of my F1, a black one was I building up for a customer, (it wasn't done so no wise comments about the seat), and one of my Lucky before the build was complete.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Consider that you will be putting significantly more $$$ money into the Canfield. The frame alone is about 1G more than the Versus.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Good choice on the F1 it tracks right is stiff around coners great for huckin and on the hill it is the fastest bike out there Stuff that scared me on my other bike is cake on this thing at higher speeds. you will love the bike and canfield brothers are great to work with and actually know waht they are talking about because they ride.

Members who have read this thread: 1