cane creek double barrel vs fox dhx 5.0 air- Mtbr.com
    pedal up
    Dec 2009

cane creek double barrel vs fox dhx 5.0 air

hey all... i'll be putting together a 2010 Knolly Derilium as an AM / psuedo-FR bike. my delima is:

??? cane creek double barrel - vs - fox dhx 5.0 air ???

basically want this bike to be able to ride to the top and then its all about pointing down. (it wont be much about shuttling uP). i'll be decking it out light but strong: Marzocchi 66 RC3 Ti - XTR - XT - ZTR Flow - King - Thompson - Twenty - etc - and will ? probably ti out the ccdb spring ?.

i know the propedal option is the deal for reducing sag for the climbs - and i love the climbs and am all about the pedaling up&about - (like really isn't a bike meant to be ridden !!?!! ) - but i really want that plush plush plush downthehill confidence 'n ride.

fyi: i'm a 45 yr old crusty geaser who's just getting into the sport - (i'll pay someone big $$$ to get 10years back) - will be honing my skills on Burnaby Mtn and then tumbling down the North Shore.

thanks so for your time and consideration,
    Todd

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    umm...two different kinds of shocks...completely different

CC is one the most adjustable coil shocks out there...the DHX...well..its an air shock. take that how ever you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biobike
    hey all... i'll be putting together a 2010 Knolly Derilium as an AM / psuedo-FR bike. my delima is:

??? cane creek double barrel - vs - fox dhx 5.0 air ???

basically want this bike to be able to ride to the top and then its all about pointing down. (it wont be much about shuttling uP). i'll be decking it out light but strong: Marzocchi 66 RC3 Ti - XTR - XT - ZTR Flow - King - Thompson - Twenty - etc - and will ? probably ti out the ccdb spring ?.

i know the propedal option is the deal for reducing sag for the climbs - and i love the climbs and am all about the pedaling up&about - (like really isn't a bike meant to be ridden !!?!! ) - but i really want that plush plush plush downthehill confidence 'n ride.

fyi: i'm a 45 yr old crusty geaser who's just getting into the sport - (i'll pay someone big $$$ to get 10years back) - will be honing my skills on Burnaby Mtn and then tumbling down the North Shore.

thanks so for your time and consideration,
    Todd
    Hi Todd,

Being from Vancouver, and owning several Knolly's I know exactly what you are describing.

If you were planning on the trails being nothing but BBY mountain and some of the "xc" shore stuff then I would say put a fox36 plus the dhx air on the 2010 delirium - with other components you are listing you would be in the 34lb range.

However, the new Delirium is really something special, and it will encourage you onto more technical terrain with great success. Give it what it deserves- A 66/totem up front, and the CCDB on the rear. I run a CCDB on my Endorphin and am very pleased w it - exceptionally tunable shock, and it is perfectly happy when on BBY mountain.

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    thanks so... you've convinced me coil is the right direction

if (when) we pass each other out there i owe you a beer at the bottom (you'll just have to wait a moment for me to catch up).

cheers

Glad to Be Alive
    is this a joke of a question....just teasing...my distaste for fox. fox are harsh on hits, lack small bump sensitivity are just a few complaints
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    is this a joke of a question....just teasing...my distaste for fox. fox are harsh on hits, lack small bump sensitivity are just a few complaints
    try the new stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biobike
    fyi: i'm a 45 yr old crusty geaser who's just getting into the sport - (i'll pay someone big $$$ to get 10years back) -Todd
    Just keep biking. It will happen. ( I'll send you my address so you can send the $$$. )

The DHX-air will do fine and save you a little weight.... but if money's no object (and it sounds like you're pulling out the stops) and you want the super plush feeling on the descents, go with the CCDB. With a ti spring it probably weighs less than a half pound more and from all accounts a very, very good shock.

Welcome to the sport!
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    One question you should ask yourself is if you're ready to do a significant amount of shock tuning and adjusting (on four different adjusters) before you buy a CCDB. Yes, they are very adjustable, but you need to have your wits about you to get it dialled in properly.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Thats where a Push DHX etc comes into its own. Give details of weight, frame and riding style and get a shock thats almost perfectly set up with only rebound being a remaining adjustment. I own up to being a set and forget rider and the Elka is almost as far as I want to go for now. How many riders can feel the slight changes each click is making? You could get it all wrong and end up with something that feels like pooh.

mtbr member

Go with the New 66 up front and the CCDB in the rear!

You will not be dissapointed!
    I have run a DHX Air, Roco WC and a CCDB on my DT and unless you are going straight DH do not go with the ROCO. The Air doesn't seem to fit the DT as well as the Coil for some reason, although KRob loves his!?
    It sounds like we do similar riding, pedal up to get to the down. The CCDB is your shock. That being said you can send the DHX in to get pushed and get the same results but why not just get the shock that way right out of the box? Malcom at CCDB is a stud and pretty much sets up the shock for you. Once you get comfortable, minor tweaks are all you'll need.

The new 2010 Zocchi 66 is unbeleivable! It is everything Zocchi used to be and then some.

Go Coil to Coil and ride the Sh*t out of that thing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cane creek double barrel vs fox dhx 5.0 air-img_1033.jpg  

"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    I'm horny for that bike dom
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13
    The Air doesn't seem to fit the DT as well as the Coil for some reason, although KRob loves his!?
    I wouldn't say I "love" it, but imo it isn't as bad as most people say... especially on this bike. But it does have its limits. I'm looking to switch to a coil (probably an Elka or Pushed DHX-coil or Roco TST), I've just been too cheap (and not dissatisfied with the DHX-Air enough) to spring for one yet.

If I were specing out a frame from scratch I would pick a coil.
    Last edited by KRob; 12-22-2009 at 12:38 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I wouldn't say I "love" it, but imo it isn't as bad as most people say... especially on this bike. But it does have its limits. I'm looking to switch to a coil (probably an Elka or Pushed DHX-coil or Roco TST), I've just been too cheap (and not dissatisfied with the DHX-Air enough) to spring for one yet.

If I were specing out a frame from scratch I would pick a coil.

Teeheehee, you said spring for one.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have just fitted a Double barrel to my Nicolai helius FR,before this i had a pushed dhx5 coil which i thought was very good.
    The double barrel seems to have a lot more control,You dont notice its there and working,everything just becomes smooth.
    I have fitted a lighter spring to my double barrel as recommended by a few people and run about 33/35% sag you can then set the hi/low speed adjusters up to as you want them.
    I have found on mine that it seems to run better with less high and low speed rebound than you think you need.

Members who have read this thread: 0