Cane Creek Double Barrel AIR

Cool beans.

Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

SamIAm
    uuuu!
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Always a good option, but I'd rather rock a Cane Creek fork!

Village Idiot
    Oct 2007
    Want!
    **** Looking for a Sram 9.0SL rear hub *****

mtbr member
    wtf!

mtbr member

think
    Jul 2008
    Interesting, and long overdue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Oh here we go.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I saw that the other day...I want one bad

2011 Intense M9...badassmofo
    2009 Cannondale Rize 3
    Redline Proline

mtbr member
    son of a...

I just bought a vivid air, like 4 days ago. Oh well, that probably won't be available for a year and will cost more than my car.

mtbr member
    Man, that's the most exciting shock to have come out in a while!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    where is da cane creek double barrel fork!?!?

mtbr member
    Meh; I'll take the new Vector Air from X-Fusion for a fraction of the cost, weighs less, and it'll still work as well or better.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
    where is da cane creek double barrel fork!?!?
    Seriously!!!!! I've heard rumorz of th CC fork for about 2 yrz now......match up nice w/ my CCDB coil or my future CCDB air !!!!
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Meh; I'll take the new Vector Air from X-Fusion for a fraction of the cost, weighs less, and it'll still work as well or better.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    It seems funny to say one shock will be better then the other when neither of them are out yet . just saying....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba View Post
    It seems funny to say one shock will be better then the other when neither of them are out yet . just saying....
    Anyone know when the Vector Air will be out? It's all over their website, just not yet selling...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Any new technology? CC doesn't seem like a big enough company to have enough money to do extensive R&D. The tech in their Double Barrel is license from Ohlin. So I'm curious to see what their air shock has got to offer over Fox or Rockshox or etc..

Locs on Spokez
    Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Anyone know when the Vector Air will be out? It's all over their website, just not yet selling...
    They're still doing R&D and real world testing for the shock before the start production runs.... Should be out this year though.
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    One thing you can count on... the ccdb won't disappoint!
    "It looks flexy"

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    One thing you can count on... the ccdb won't disappoint!
    CC definitely cross'z their i'z & dot'z their t'z....can't wait to hear about weight/performance compared to present offeringz from Fox, Zokie, etc.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

2010 Glory custom FR
    I don't know if any1 is interested, but I've been told by Cane Creek employee that they are working on DBair with 15mm (instead of 16mm) eyelets to allow Glory and some older Spesh bike owners use latest CC product.
    If you'd like to ride DBair on your Glory, as I do, write CC
    pozdro
    frango

Broken but on the mend
    Fanatik already has them as a build option for the dh bikes they sell. i hope they come out soon they are a pretty cool shock with what i have read about them. sounds like they are going to put the vivid air to rest with good the db air feels

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I thought I should post this review up.

CCDB AIR REVIEW - mountain biking raleigh nc area

This is a review that I wrote about the Cane Creek Double Barrel Air

fatwheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fatwheels View Post

fatwheels
    This is a pretty good review and I agree with most of it, however the statement about progressive suspension designs not playing nicely with the DBAir, I don't completely concur with. The shock is spec'ed on some bikes like my Intense Uzzi which have a rising rate suspension and its the consumers impression that the shock should be compatible if the frame designer chooses to offer it on their frame. After all, there is only one tune offered by Cane Creek and it can hardly be expected to work well with every suspension design. Probably why Rockshox offers multiple tunes for the Vivid Air.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if some mods become available in the near future to better suit the DBAir on progressive suspension platforms... I've heard a few rumblings from a local suspension tuning shop that this may be the case. Hopefully, this is the case and the shock can be custom tuned.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Some Chainreaction Nukeproof riders were rocking BD Air shocks in Fort Bill
    https://direct.coresites.mporatrons....H_74348586.jpg
    https://direct.coresites.mporatrons....EDH_730912.jpg
    I wonder, how they liked it...?
    pozdro
    frango

2010 Glory custom FR

fatwheels
    What's the size of your DBA?
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Mine is a 7.5 by 2.0 shock.

Also, sorry for the lack of info about other frame designs, I've only been able to ride my bike with the CCDB Air, everything else I am trying to infer from other websites and customers.

fatwheels

2010 Glory custom FR
    Any news concerning availability of Spesh/Glory DBA version?
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member

fatwheels
    Where do you ride around Raleigh? I went to Elon University. I rode a lot of greensboro and the area. There isnt much around to really even get a feel for a shock like the DBA. Did you go out to Boone etc?
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    For those that care there is a new high-volume inner air sleeve available for the CCDB Air that will aid in tuning and getting full use of travel on progressive suspension platforms. This should allow riders to run less sag and give more tuning options... here's some more information from NSMB:

CaneCreek Double Barrel Air Owners! - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    For those that care there is a new high-volume inner air sleeve available for the CCDB Air that will aid in tuning and getting full use of travel on progressive suspension platforms. This should allow riders to run less sag and give more tuning options... here's some more information from NSMB:

CaneCreek Double Barrel Air Owners! - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums
    Awesome find. I need this bad. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm considering a DBair for my 2011 Norco Range-any thoughts? I weigh 200 pounds with all my gear on.

Cane Creek is probably offering something new soon enough; should I hold out?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I'm considering a DBair for my 2011 Norco Range-any thoughts? I weigh 200 pounds with all my gear on.

Cane Creek is probably offering something new soon enough; should I hold out?
    DB air just came out, and has gone through the teething stage. I'd not wait for something else.

The only problem I have with 200lb on an air shock is that tradeoff between small bump compliance and bottom out, hence my leaning towards coil. Now, if you like air can suspension, go for it, doesn't get much better!

mtbr member

Cane Creek Double Barrel AIR

Im 245 naked and recently switched from a RC4 to a CCDBA. I would say the CCDBA is on par if not better than the RC4. And I havent noticed much difference in the small bump sensitivity. Mid stroke feels better. Over all the shock feels really plush and at this point Ive barely strayed from the stock tune. Im sure I could get it even better.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    DB air just came out, and has gone through the teething stage. I'd not wait for something else.

The only problem I have with 200lb on an air shock is that tradeoff between small bump compliance and bottom out, hence my leaning towards coil. Now, if you like air can suspension, go for it, doesn't get much better!
    glad I waited!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    glad I waited!
    Not sure I get whatcher sayin'...did you get one? Not get one? Didn't get one and now happy that you didn't because of the CCDB with the little switch? Or the new specialized specific ohlins?

Plenty of people running the CCDB just with the 5 adjustments for the past ...decade? And CCDBa for the past year, that one little switch is just a way of dumbing things down for riders that don't want to set it up right or take a tool out of the bag. Just because they did the switch better than others before doesn't mean that the switch is the best option for setup, they're really just feeding to the market of people that don't want to spend time bracketing and doing the correct setup, as the masses of the market won't do that, they want a glorified RP23.

%$#$*!
    Not sure I get whatcher sayin'...did you get one? Not get one? Didn't get one and now happy that you didn't because of the CCDB with the little switch? Or the new specialized specific ohlins?

Plenty of people running the CCDB just with the 5 adjustments for the past ...decade? And CCDBa for the past year, that one little switch is just a way of dumbing things down for riders that don't want to set it up right or take a tool out of the bag. Just because they did the switch better than others before doesn't mean that the switch is the best option for setup, they're really just feeding to the market of people that don't want to spend time bracketing and doing the correct setup, as the masses of the market won't do that, they want a glorified RP23.
    +1 on this. CS is interesting but once the LS and HS is set up correctly on a DBAir I don't personally see the need for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Re: Cane Creek Double Barrel AIR

Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    +1 on this. CS is interesting but once the LS and HS is set up correctly on a DBAir I don't personally see the need for it.
    Actually if you go to the website and compare tunes (they only have intense right now for the cs) the low speed rebound and compression are different than on the normal dba. Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure they are more on the plush side with the cs off than with the non cs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Really, I'm not interested in pulling a tool out of my bag if I can flip a switch. I do understand some of the differences in compression rate adjustments and adjusting the rate of flow of fluid through the rebound resistance valves. But I get it, I do know a few people who run a CCDBA an adjust it when they feel they need to. It's a preference. Call me lazy, I also run a remote control seatpost.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Right on, I hear ya. I suppose pulling a tool out for adjustment is one end of the spectrum, remote actuator mounted on the bars is another, and flipping a switch is somewhere in the middle.

Honestly, I think this is mainly driven by MFGs like Specialized that produce beaucoup bikes that require ease of set up for the masses. If you look at the new Specialized-Ohlins collaboration, HSC is a simple 3-step switch too. Specialized is very realistic that 90% of the riders are never going to actually try to set up the bikes when there are 5 variables.

All the more reason to either spend your $$$ with Avalanche racing, or learn how to setup a CCDB. You'll get about the same ride either way! Luckily for me, there isn't a whole lot of difference in the trails I ride - techy up & down. We don't get the fireroad up & flow down that mountain states have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    For those of you who converted to the CCDB is it a significant improvement over the Fox RP23? If yes, how so?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    For those of you who converted to the CCDB is it a significant improvement over the Fox RP23? If yes, how so?
    More oil displacement, more adjustments, moar shimz. moar better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Night and day diffence. What DH bike do you have? An RP23 on a DH bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sorry about that. Searched CCDB... Thought I was in the shock and suspension forum

%$#$*!
    The CCDBair is better in every way, ime. Better small bump sensitivity, better mid-stroke support, better in the high speed chunk.
    More composed and highly tuneable. That said, if you didn't want to spend a lot of $, I would just send the RP23 to Avalanche for a custom tune.