Cane Creek DBAir- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cane Creek DBAir

Anybody riding one of these yet? Looks like a sweet shock. I can't find my note, among all the other notes scattered around, but I did calculations a few days ago based on numbers I could find and even with a Ti spring the DBAir was still about 3/4 lbs lighter as I remember, which is enough weight to take note.

Plus with the announcement that the 2013 Honda 450 mx bike is fitted with an air fork makes the longevity of metal springs on high end bikes look limited. Not to mention that Rockshox and Manitou use air for springs in their DH forks and Trek had Fox build that 40 for them with both air and a ti spring which I'm sure is awesome.

Personally I've never looked back when I went to an air spring from a metal spring. They always worked just fine if not better. Plus the tuneability without having to buy a bunch of springs is priceless. But I'm not competing in DH events and a lot of people still say they like metal springs better, so there may be some advantage, however there are also lot's of people who like to stick with what they know rather than embrace new technology.

If I was going to buy a DB I think it would be a DBAir.

Any reports?
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Cane Creek Double Barrel Air - Interbike 2011 - Pinkbike

In this he says that the shock is built to work with suspension designed to work with an air shock.

Does anyone know what is different in suspension design for air and metal springs?
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have one on my Intense Uzzi... the Uzzi has a rising rate suspension curve and its difficult to tune the DB Air to get near full travel due to this. I would check with your frame manufacturer to get their input before buying. I am hopeful that my shock can be after market tuned at some point to get it fully dialed in, but for now it still feels pretty good.

mtbr member
    Works great on my knolly delirium. Running about 35% sag, so far suspension feels bottomless. Had a db coil on it before and not regretting the air version at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Was with 4-5 people that swapped over last winter to them at snowshoe last weekend and none have regretted it.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by monstertiki View Post
    Works great on my knolly delirium. Running about 35% sag, so far suspension feels bottomless. Had a db coil on it before and not regretting the air version at all.
    +1 but roughly 40% sag, (dh oriented rig) on my 1st gen Nomad w/ 1.5 ht. I have a CCDB coil on my VP Free and the air version IMO is basically the same shock w/ out th weight penalty.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Members who have read this thread: 0