Cane Creek Angle set headset question- Mtbr.com
    Downhill fan

Cane Creek Angle set headset question

I recently had a 2011 Boxxer R2C2 fork installed along w/ a Cane Creek Angle set headset installed w/ the -1.5 cup. My bike shop installed the -1.5 cup in the bottom side of the head tube (directions show this as well). I have seen some where they were installed in the top of the head tube. What's right? I would think per the directions I'm good to go on my Giant Glory.
    Another question would be if I were to install another off set cup in the top of the head tube in conjunction with my already installed bottom off set cup, would I be able to slacken it out a little more? HT angle is @ 65.5 degrees now.
    Thanx for any input as always!
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    I'm not an expert on this, but I have one and I installed mine with the offset cup on the bottom. I don't think it really matters. The video online showed it going on the top, but that frame had a pinch bolt and was designed for quick swapping of offset cups.

Regarding using 2 offset cups to get more angle, I would say it might work, but I don't think I would try it, probably too much stress on the headtube.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure the offset cup is meant to be at the top! You might wanna consult Cane Creek before you ride it and mess something up!!

Downhill fan
    The pictures on the directions show to install it in the bottom but I saw a video and it was installed in the top tube of a M9.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

mtbr member
    You can't put an offset cup on the top of a tapered head tube, 44-56 if i'm not mistaken (glory). Therefore the upper cup is a pivoting gimbal and the lower one has the offset as that end of the tapered head tube can accommodate it. On a straight 49-49 head tube, it doesn't really matter. I heard preferably on top since it will be slightly less prone to getting dirty but at the same time it will make your toptube and reach slightly shorter.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarashi View Post
    You can't put an offset cup on the top of a tapered head tube, 44-56 if i'm not mistaken (glory). Therefore the upper cup is a pivoting gimbal and the lower one has the offset as that end of the tapered head tube can accommodate it. On a straight 49-49 head tube, it doesn't really matter. I heard preferably on top since it will be slightly less prone to getting dirty but at the same time it will make your toptube and reach slightly shorter.
    His profile pic is of a Glory Freeride. They had a full 1.5 head tube, which is why I assumed he was asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the offset cup is meant to be at the top! You might wanna consult Cane Creek before you ride it and mess something up!!
    The cane creek install video on youtube say on some frames the offset cup can be on the bottom, although they don't define how you know. They show an intense M9 with the cup on top, and and intense Tracer with the cup on the bottom.

I put the offset cup on the bottom on my Intense Uzzi so the steer tube would be centered at the top instead of being offset and shortening the cockpit by a couple of mm.

Downhill fan
    Yep my bike is the Glory FR. Full 1.5 head tube. It makes sense to me now why the off set cup is in the bottom of the HT. So it don't effect the top tube and reach and the Glory DH has a tapered HT @ the top so the off set cup would have to go in the bottom. Very good points! Thank you.
    I guess the off set cup is just fine in the bottom of the HT. I will avoid the additional off set cup in the top of the HT. I dont want a cramped feel to my Glory.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Members who have read this thread: 0