Can I use a Switch for AM?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Can I use a Switch for AM?

I found a really great deal on a left over 2006 Switch( I know...'06?) at a LBS I never go to...I have not ridden for a long time and I'm just getting back into it, but for a grand I feel like its almost to great of a deal to pass on...Am I gonna be wasting a lot of energy peddling a less than pretty light bike around with all that travel in the back? Will it make for a decent AM ride is what I'm getting at I guess....thanx....

Bike Ninja |||
    first question in my mind would be : how big of a person are you? weight, height etc. what is your description of all mountain?

an X-post in the all mountain forum would yield some good answers as well.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    With light wheels/tires it can be made quite agile, you would have no problem pedaling it on AM rides. The only real issue with the Switch is the interrupted seat tube, so you may not be able to achieve a good leg extension for prolonged pedaling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Im 5'10 bout 165....my deff iof AM? Not sure....more than XC, but I dunno how much more...yet...but like I said...for a grand? Seems kinda hard to beat.....I have posted in AM as well...but no takers as of yet....

Meh.
    The Switch SL was pretty capable as a AM rig. A couple parts swaps should get you on your way.

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by sithlord3
    Im 5'10 bout 165....my deff iof AM? Not sure....more than XC, but I dunno how much more...yet...but like I said...for a grand? Seems kinda hard to beat.....I have posted in AM as well...but no takers as of yet....

In that case i'd say go for it. You aren't excessively tall (the shore's have compact cockpits), and you're about average for weight. You shouldn't be too hard pressed lugging around the weight.

like others have said a few parts swaps will get it dialed in perfect. I would jump on that deal If i were you.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Switch is kind of heavy (probably around 43 lbs) for AM riding, but it can be done - it will make you super strong! As someone mentioned, get an "extra" set of light wheels/tires and it will make a world of difference, plus you then have some more choices if you want to get more aggressive (put the heavier wheelset back on). For the price you have mentioned, you should be able to get out of it without damage if you find it too much for the type of riding you do - it is a great bike.

StraightOuttaCompton
    hell ya. i ride and armageddon for xc and pass lance armstrong on his road bike like that fool is going backwards.

In all seriousness, ya why not. it isn't that heavy if you try to keep it light and it is great bike for more agressive riding too.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    One thing's for sure, it'll get your legs nice and strong.

Members who have read this thread: 0