Calluses anyone? what to do?- Mtbr.com
    SMT Supporter

Bonking ... not feelin' well Calluses anyone? what to do?

Like one year ago I used to ride a lot with soft grips and no gloves, so I got some calluses where the fingers end at the palm..in all the fingers. It wasn't that bad because they helped to protect the hands and never hurt me......

The I started riding with Odi Ruffians and sombrios cartel (pretty bad, thick, uncomfortable.IMO)......then my fork on the DH bike got twisted in a bad crash.

So I started riding (some Dj and overall Street) a lot more my singlespeed hardtail sometimes without gloves(better feel for street) and most of the times with Fox sidewinder gloves because is cold over here...

Now that dont't have the calluses seems like the street riding (maybe the position of the handlebars, I dont really kow what is it) is harming my hands .....In a way that I only able to ride 40 minues and then I have to stop beacuse of the pain...

Is anyone having this sort of hand wounds or problems....

I would prefer the calllus back than this pain in the palm.

Suggestions? opinions? Jokes? everything is accepted
    "If you have a 50 dollar head, buy a 50 dollar helmet"

Bottlerockin'
    keep riding....your callusses will build up again.
    the more you ride the quicker theyll develope/the more protection you get on your hands

SuperInstigator
    Try not to let your calluses break; they'll have to build up again, of course, and that'll take a long time. But ride with gloves and don't stop unless they're about to rupture. You'll hands will one day be as tough as mine. I'll post some pictures later if you want. :

Good Luck,
    Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My son carefully shaves them down with a bic razor, not to the quick or anything. By keeping them to a manageable size, they are less apt to crack or blister. But be careful!

SMT Supporter
    Thanks for the responses people. In the first time I tought that it could be a handlebar Height/position issue beacuse it did never hurt when riding the DH bike (deity bars-love).
    Maybe is that Im bunnyhoping a lot on the small bike....using more pressuere on the handlebar and suff....
    "If you have a 50 dollar head, buy a 50 dollar helmet"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    rock climbing will build them up way faster than biking will if you're interested in trying that

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wrap the outside of your grips with a heavy grade sandpaper... That'll get them back

Glad to Be Alive
    get some lotion and put it all over your hands....then work it in
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

calluses

Quote Originally Posted by Mongiafer
    Like one year ago I used to ride a lot with soft grips and no gloves, so I got some calluses where the fingers end at the palm..in all the fingers. It wasn't that bad because they helped to protect the hands and never hurt me......

The I started riding with Odi Ruffians and sombrios cartel (pretty bad, thick, uncomfortable.IMO)......then my fork on the DH bike got twisted in a bad crash.

So I started riding (some Dj and overall Street) a lot more my singlespeed hardtail sometimes without gloves(better feel for street) and most of the times with Fox sidewinder gloves because is cold over here...

Now that dont't have the calluses seems like the street riding (maybe the position of the handlebars, I dont really kow what is it) is harming my hands .....In a way that I only able to ride 40 minues and then I have to stop beacuse of the pain...

Is anyone having this sort of hand wounds or problems....

I would prefer the calllus back than this pain in the palm.

Suggestions? opinions? Jokes? everything is accepted

I have calluses from lifting weights, and yesterday I went DH'ing for the first time all season.
    My calluses were killing after 4 hours of shuttling....
    I guess 4 hours is a good day...last year without calluses I would have been done sooner.
    I noticed that my gloves stretched as I rode longer. That combined with sweaty hands created a lot of friction which seemed to make the pain worse.

Maybe keep a 2nd pair of gloves close by??

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    get some lotion and put it all over your hands....then work it in
    he wasn't talking about making love bob!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

It may not be your skin or calluses

If you ride w/ too much pressure on your hands it can compress the nerves in the hand of which there are two. The ulnar nerve enervates and supplies sensation to the pinky and ring finger and the palm of the hand on that side, while the median nerve enervates the others fingers and thumb and the majority of palm. If it is a dull ache or tingling on your palm it may be a nerve compression locally in your hands or perhaps at a different location due to your positioning on the bike. That may be the reason different bikes affect it differently. Don't hesitate to see a doctor if it persists, because they can be damaged if not take care of.

N* Bomber Crew
    Pop it like its hot.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit44777
    he wasn't talking about making love bob!
    vulgar.............
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0