calling all smart fabricators- 10mm to 12mm- Mtbr.com
    e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr

calling all smart fabricators- 10mm to 12mm

iv been having a bit of trouble trying to sell my rear wheel
    the demensions are 150mm wide, 10mm axle. there have been lots of opertunities ( however you spell it ) for me selling my rear wheel, IF ONLY it was a 12mm axle. i havent heard of one bike that has a 10mm axle and 150mm wide. with the pictures, i was trying to see if i can take out the bearings in the hub so it will accept a 12mm axle. iv tried taking them out with a bearing press but they dont budge and i do not want to damage the hub internally. so i thinking if theres anyway i can put 2mm shims or spacers onto the 10mm axle. with the uber bad photoshop on paint, you can see that the red is where the axle is lying outside of the hub, and the blue is where it sits inside the hub. do you guys think theres anyway i can put 2mm spacers to make the 10mm axle to 12mm? the type of " dropout" my profile racing dr1 had ( the bike which had this rear wheel) had not a dropout like where you slide the axle from the bottom of the dropout to the top, but just had a 10mm hole and you just bolted it on.
    i hope people can understand what im talking about, and hopefully im not talking in spanglish
    i mean the rear hub is worth 300 bucks, and if no one can use it. its a big waste of $$$
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    You should be able to get different barings from a dedicated baring shop. Not a bike shop. If you can take your wheel along and I would think they can sort you out with the right bits. I find that they have every kind and so will probably have the right size holes.....Suprised you can't budge the bits with a press.
    "for a hill they would kill why, they do not know"

Former Noob Herder
    what kinda hub is it? there may be a conversion for it. As for removing the bearings, you cant press them inwards, only outwards, and there may be other bits involved to remove them anyways (ie. do a search on how to dismantle it)

As for your reducer idea, thats upto the frame, not the hub. 12mm thru-axles are part of a particular frameset so their designs vary, you cannot claim its a converted 12mm hub since that might not work with anything, and looks hella ghetto anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

pwn3rator
    thats what i need for the frame i'm building, but i don't have any money...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiver
    You should be able to get different barings from a dedicated baring shop. Not a bike shop. If you can take your wheel along and I would think they can sort you out with the right bits. I find that they have every kind and so will probably have the right size holes.....Suprised you can't budge the bits with a press.

ya but im concerned what is in the " blue area" ( the drawing i did on paint) if its nothing but bearings. if its all bearings then it seems pretty easy. but if theres other apparatus's inside it that shouldent be pushed out, i dun want to screw it up

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    what kinda hub is it? there may be a conversion for it. As for removing the bearings, you cant press them inwards, only outwards, and there may be other bits involved to remove them anyways (ie. do a search on how to dismantle it)

As for your reducer idea, thats upto the frame, not the hub. 12mm thru-axles are part of a particular frameset so their designs vary, you cannot claim its a converted 12mm hub since that might not work with anything, and looks hella ghetto anyways.

its a profile racing rear hub. you can find it on the online store
    i tried contacting profile racing and asking them for help but came out empty handed

Pro Crastinator
    try to locate a bearing supply store, take your hub in (or your bearing if you can fgure out how to remove it) and tell them you ar trying to find similar bearings with a 12mm ID. you can't shim the axle because axles are typically frame specific (meaning any frame that uses a thru axle comes with it's own axle)

it really shouldn't be that hard. i did a similar thing on my motorcycle front wheel, i got new bearings to use the same wheel (went from a 17mm axle to a 25mm axle) on a new fork.....