Calling all Rock Shox Totem owners!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Calling all Rock Shox Totem owners!

What's up everyone,

I just installed my Totems a couple weeks ago and haven't even got a chance to ride on them yet and I've already noticed a problem. When the fork is unweighted and I lift the bike an inch off the ground and drop it I can hear the spring hitting the inside of the left stanchion. If I have the fork uncompressed and just tap the lowers or stanchions I can also hear the spring chattering, so it is not the front brake line, wheel or headset. Are any of you experiencing this? Are there any possible solutions? I will be calling Sram tomorrow to see what's up but right now this is disturbing my sleep. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    That is not normal for a Totem coil. Mine makes no noises and has no play whatsoever. I'd remove the topcap on the left side and pull the spring out and compare it to the manual on SRAM's website. Look for missing parts or broken plastic. It almost sounds like you're missing a spacer or something. When you put it back together you should have to push down on the spring a little bit to get the cap to thread. If that's not happening than there's something missing.

SRAM will probably not help you directly. You'll need to go to a shop that sells/works on RS forks and have them go to SRAM. I've heard once you jump through these hoops that RS will set you up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that the preload spacers must be missing or something. I just don't have a 24mm wrench - dammit. lol I just wanted to know if anyone's forks were making the same noise, I knew it wasn't normal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    That is not normal for a Totem coil. Mine makes no noises and has no play whatsoever. I'd remove the topcap on the left side and pull the spring out and compare it to the manual on SRAM's website. Look for missing parts or broken plastic. It almost sounds like you're missing a spacer or something. When you put it back together you should have to push down on the spring a little bit to get the cap to thread. If that's not happening than there's something missing.

SRAM will probably not help you directly. You'll need to go to a shop that sells/works on RS forks and have them go to SRAM. I've heard once you jump through these hoops that RS will set you up.
    Are you running one or multiple preload spacers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    yea doesnt sound normal...for any fork.

pop the cap off and check. my money is on the spring perch not seated, or crooked. while you have the spring out, might as well coat it with some grease as well.

Bike Ninja |||
    Some totem springs have a shrink-wrap section in the middle of the spring to silence any stanchion contact much like the one in the Fox 40, some do not however.... my guess is sram really didn't feel it was needed.

I've had a few totems come through my shop with the sound you are talking about. nothing mechanically wrong with them at all. no 'dead travel' or anything, just the spring deflecting under load and hitting the inside of the stanchion. wrap the spring with about a 4" long section of heat shrink in the middle of the spring. should solve it.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    Some totem springs have a shrink-wrap section in the middle of the spring to silence any stanchion contact much like the one in the Fox 40, some do not however.... my guess is sram really didn't feel it was needed.

I've had a few totems come through my shop with the sound you are talking about. nothing mechanically wrong with them at all. no 'dead travel' or anything, just the spring deflecting under load and hitting the inside of the stanchion. wrap the spring with about a 4" long section of heat shrink in the middle of the spring. should solve it.
    Thanks for the response. I fixed the problem. The preload spacer was never put in at the factory. Now it is quiter than my 888 rc2x.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Members who have read this thread: 0