Cal State Championship Southridge?- Mtbr.com
    Innovate or die!

Cal State Championship Southridge?

hey,
    Like many of you California Racerz i got the Cal State Championship @ SouthRidge flyer in the mail today. June 5, two run format etc etc. But first I got a few questions-- which town is southridge in?(i.e. directions/ ETA from Bay Area) It is a pedaly or hucky course? Is it hardpack or loose? Thats about it, thanks for the info, also give rollcall of who is gonna be there!

www.dirtfocus.com for picture credits...... anybody else gots pictures?

P.S. A comparison between Sea Otter/Northstar and SouthRidge would be sick!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The course is loose with lots of pedaling. Sometimes the turns are banked, most of time they're flat. Most of top DH riders are on DH bikes, a light DH bike is best.... I think Rich Housman rides a Yeti ASX.

If you're racing sport or below chances are your course will be really flat, if you race expert or above they may have a different course… if so it's usually a little shorter, rockier, and steeper.

The regular racers know all the fast lines...Spend a lot of time watching, there're a few sections they always run. Locals have a big advantage but you can pick it up just as good if you watch them.

There are no built jumps but there are few natural ones off the rocks if you know where to look... nothing very big.

Depending on what kind of shape your in it's best to take easy on the top, sit down and pedal, pump everything, then when you get to the wall you'll still have enough energy to sprint the last flat 1/3 mile to the finish line.

Anyways good luck

Oh by the way it's in the lovely small town of Fontana, CA

Innovate or die!
    hahaha wow sounds like another sea otter repeat........best lines......pedal hard......hit the line....... pedal hard.....except there are no locals so otter is all skill. Is it really flat enough that I shouldn't run Dual Ply DH tires? Thanks for the Info, now I am wondering if it is worth the drive.....
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Souithridge is some good riding, but I don't think I would come down if I lived in the Bay Area. But then again, I am not hardcore about racing.
    P.S. I would run lighter tires. I've seen some people run semi slicks in the rear.
    Got Bike?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Alloy
    The course is loose with lots of pedaling. Sometimes the turns are banked, most of time they're flat. Most of top DH riders are on DH bikes, a light DH bike is best.... I think Rich Housman rides a Yeti ASX.

If you're racing sport or below chances are your course will be really flat, if you race expert or above they may have a different course… if so it's usually a little shorter, rockier, and steeper.

The regular racers know all the fast lines...Spend a lot of time watching, there're a few sections they always run. Locals have a big advantage but you can pick it up just as good if you watch them.

There are no built jumps but there are few natural ones off the rocks if you know where to look... nothing very big.

Depending on what kind of shape your in it's best to take easy on the top, sit down and pedal, pump everything, then when you get to the wall you'll still have enough energy to sprint the last flat 1/3 mile to the finish line.

Anyways good luck

Oh by the way it's in the lovely small town of Fontana, CA
    mark you don't stand and hammer the pedal at the wall?????
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    hahaha wow sounds like another sea otter repeat........best lines......pedal hard......hit the line....... pedal hard.....except there are no locals so otter is all skill. Is it really flat enough that I shouldn't run Dual Ply DH tires? Thanks for the Info, now I am wondering if it is worth the drive.....
    Fontana is still a good time. Don't worry about the locals as long you ride sections and hang out you're sure to see all the fast lines. Usually the courses are a combination of technical turns and rocky sections. Finding the lines is what makes it fun. It's not nearly as straight foward as Sea Otter, there are a lot more possibilities.

What class are you racing anyway?

Merrrrjig
    Jan 2004
    what they said is right, I have 2,827 photos of it if you want a few!

Merrrrjig
    Jan 2004
    oh ya go to my website and i have a bunch of pic there. www.mtbphoto.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    mark you don't stand and hammer the pedal at the wall?????
    Mostly I sit down. As long as I'm cranking my highest gear at what feels a decent revolution I sit down. When I start to feel slow I stand up again and get it moving.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    your so racecore. i heard u would rather do math this time instead of ride teh STINC.
    Yeah sorry man I can't make it up this weekend. I have a math final that if I don't do well on I'll have to take the class over. I told Mike he should bring someone else to split the gas. If he cant find anyone I'll have a lot of free time in a couple weeks then I'll make it up for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    YOU HAVE BEENREDCARDED
    Why are you so interested in me coming up there anyways? I like hanging out with you guys but I cant make it this weekend. If you want to ride come down here.

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You never really know what the course will look like at Fontana. Typically, Donnie will run the courses along the wall. However, sometimes he'll switch it up; I have raced two courses where he took the wall out. Since the Cal State race will be a big race, I think he will take some time to make a decent course...hopefully, he'll work around the wall!

Glad to Be Alive
    Why are you so interested in me coming up there anyways? I like hanging out with you guys but I cant make it this weekend. If you want to ride come down here.
    don't worry I would rather have a red card then be banned for unappreciated pranks
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    alloy you rolling today

Innovate or die!
    yeah actually that is the weekend of the SAT.........college over biking for sure.
    Me no go.

P.S> SMT where are the 823 pimple pics?

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Whoa, I thought I would be in England then. Guess I'll be there.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Is this the first Cal State at Fonatana???

Wasn't it always at Big Bear the previous years??

If so, hopefully Donnie will take pride and make us a super sick course without the stupid wall.
    Although it would be cool to see a backyard full of sunbating chicks from the wall...
    No, that would be a distraction..
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

Stack Daddy
    Jan 2004

This is the ONLY Cal State race!

Quote Originally Posted by JSUN
    Is this the first Cal State at Fonatana???

Wasn't it always at Big Bear the previous years??

If so, hopefully Donnie will take pride and make us a super sick course without the stupid wall.
    Although it would be cool to see a backyard full of sunbating chicks from the wall...
    No, that would be a distraction..
    Thanks to the Big Bear fiasco. The cool thing is that Eric Carter will have a big hand in course design. Should be FUUUUN.

Glad to Be Alive
    big bear sucks...somebody will make a lot of money if they could build a DH trail in SoCal

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdemon
    Thanks to the Big Bear fiasco. The cool thing is that Eric Carter will have a big hand in course design. Should be FUUUUN.
    What I mean is , is this the first time a Cal State race will be held in Fontana?

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    What I mean is , is this the first time a Cal State race will be held in Fontana?
    Norcal people will probably be expecting chairlifts n stuff...
    It sort of a "ghetto" place to have a DH race.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ill be there. i dont know if there is any way that they can not include the wall. but dont get me wrong, i hate it as much as everyone else. i am happy because i already qualifyed for mammoth so i dont have as much pressure at this race. i think it would be worth the drive out here, it's not much but it is still a fun event. hope to see u there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    mbaction.com had a small wright up of it. They said Eric Carter will be laying out the course and there will be payouts down to expert. Sweet. Plus a $1000 for pros, I wonder what semi's get?

Anyways I'll be there for sure... I want to see what kind of course Carter comes up. Hopefully he'll do something creative.

...On second thought mbaction also said the mountain cross course was completed monthes ago. So who knows.

Glad to Be Alive
    mbaction.com had a small wright up of it. They said Eric Carter will be laying out the course and there will be payouts down to expert. Sweet. Plus a $1000 for pros, I wonder what semi's get?

Anyways I'll be there for sure... I want to see what kind of course Carter comes up. Hopefully he'll do something creative.

...On second thought mbaction also said the mountain cross course was completed monthes ago. So who knows.

IMO: MBACTION sucks...a bunch of hypocrites...don't even get me started with that POS mag

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, Fontucky has held Cal State races in the past. Jsun brings up a good point, people will be real disappointed if they are expecting chair lift. But, hey, riding in a van with a bunch of stinky riders and then hiking a 1/4 of mile uphill in 100 degree heat is just as good...isnt' it?

Seriously, I think Fontana was their only option. I believe that in June all of the Northern California resorts and Mammoth still have snow on the ground...