buying my first DH bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

buying my first DH bike

Hopfully this thread wont get deleted...

I need a bit of direction here guys...

Im looking for my first DH bike, im pretty much head over heels for 07+ Kona Stinky Deluxe with the D.O.P.E. system.

Im pretty sure my local resort has this bike, and they ditch them each year for newer models. So this means I can pick up this bike for alot cheaper!

Now, should I go with this? Or should I find somthing that has not been used/abused? Suggestions?
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport, locked, lifted, and loaded

hmmmm
    be careful hen buying a used resort bike, some of them get pretty trashed

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalis12
    be careful hen buying a used resort bike, some of them get pretty trashed

i was about to say the same. i wouldnt buy a used resort bike. who knows how much abuse they've been put through.

whats your budget?

sixsixtysix
    Yeah, rentals and resort bikes tend to take a beating just in a single season. You are better off looking for a close out, used or new.

StraightOuttaCompton
    or you could buy my bike. check it out on my profile.

but seriously, resort bikes can be thrashed, but if you know someone that works there, they can get you a lightly used one.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    I saw an ebay auction yesterday for some 07 Kona Stinky Supreme framesets, with floating brake kit, for a pretty good price. They are unused, from a bike shop I think.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you are looking for a Kona check out www.wheelworld.com they advertise some pretty good prices.This is not an endorsement I have never done buisness with them.It does say though Kona's are sold in store only and they are in California.If you open to other bikes be patient shop the classifieds and someone is allways looking to sell something for a good price especially around Sept./Oct.

mtbr member
    How about a sunday?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    dude dont buy a kona, i still can believe people ride those crappy bikes.and i must disagree with buying rental bikes. i have seen the full fleet of rental bikes in years past that went out of northstar and most of them are in immaculate condition. its because people who ride agressivly enough to trash bikes allready have their own bike to beat up.depending on how much you are trying to spend dont settle on one brand or bike, keep looking and you will find a deal sooner or later.

mtbr member
    IDK, I just fell in love with how the stinky deluxe I rode, honestly it was hard to get the thing to leave the ground the way I was riding it. The guy that let me ride it, had it setup for racing, and its the same style I like to ride.

First off, my budget is around 2k or less...

I am told I should be in a small frame, Im only 5'7"

I have ridden a Stinky, and it did have the DH feel, but was WAY too stiff, even after I loosened everything up. The bike I was on would simply float underneath me, and had great stability.

If you guys can give me some other suggestions as to my budget and a good bike, I am VERY open. Let me know, PM me prices as to what your looking to get (for those of you who are looking to sell)
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    what are you going to be using this dh bike for? this is probably the biggest question. you gonna be racing it here and there or is it mostly for casual downhill. you can get a very nice bike for around 2 grand if you look hard enough.

mtbr member
    casual downhill, backyard riding, ect. I dont really get into racing. Dont get me wrong, big drops and expert courses im no stranger to

I was checking out that sunday, looks like a pretty ill bike. A buddy of mine rides some sort of IH, I forget which.
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal

mtbr member
    Your budget could land you a used good condition IH Sunday if you have the patience to search and wait until you find the deal that fits the bill.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

N* Bomber Crew
    Great deal here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=438129

I ride a 06, better equipped but that Turner DHR 06 Frame with DHX 5.0 is going to take dumps on Stinky's all day. Seriously, DHR's are 110% legit.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    konas are a great entry level bike. i had the 2006 stinky for a long time and it was great.
    the only thing about them was that theyre suspension design causes alot of break jack but the DOPE system cleared all that up. they are also a little heavier than other bikes in their class but theyre extremely strong frames.

mtbr member
    Konas are nice but not the stinky. Very long CS and crappy welds on the thin part of the CS (not diagonal but threw the shortest way possible - meaning the weld there is weaker and I've seen some stinkys break there).

the DHR is a very good idea. Look threw MTBR and Ridemonkey classfields. You should find something for around 2k easily.

BTW. http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....19&category=55 < New ih 7point under 2k.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

For The Win
    I dunno guys, I like my stinky, but obviously, it's my bike.. With not a lot of work you can turn it into a pretty sick FR bike (yes, it is heavy, 46 pounds), I cant imagine doing DH with it though, way to stiff
    Slow is cool too, right?

mtbr member
    StinkyFTW, not the bike I was on, it was hard to get it to jump, unless you really upped your speed on the jumps. The suspension on the bike was really soft.
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal

For The Win
    You were on a Primo right? That has the DOPE system and a Roco WC, my Stinky has neither of those things and is set up for freeride.. They (the resort) probably had the bike softened up for a more DH specific ride, but that's just a guess
    Slow is cool too, right?

mtbr member
    no I was on an 08 Stinky Deluxe
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal

Card-carrying wotmeister
    Well, his stinky has a super soft 888 on it, and the Van R rear is pretty friggin' stiff.

all you have to do is firm up your suspension some. He manages to jump his even with the mushy (in a good way ) front end. Unfortunately, no such luck for me on my Recoil, which (spam) is a 16" and for sale.

mtbr member
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepXJ3
    It looks sweet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A really good entry level bike is the Norco Atomic.

Check out my review that is supposed to be posted on NSMB.com

http://www.leelau.net/Misc/norcoatomic2008/

mtbr member
    get an iron horse sunday they have many build options to fit many price ranges...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's not available yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    It's not available yet?
    :dunno: I sent them an email, 1800 for a bike is really reasonable... Im thinking its just for the frame.
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=23604&cat=3

my bike is for sale, more reliable than the sstinky, and you could get a floating brake for this bike, from brake therapy

mtbr member
    :dunno: I sent them an email, 1800 for a bike is really reasonable... Im thinking its just for the frame.
    There's no way that bike would sell for $1800 complete.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just to reiterate, I HATE the way stinkies ride, maybe the name implies something

I would steer very clear

Different strokes..

mtbr member
    Then maybe a BigHit? The real question would be, how much to spend? Entry Level...

or Go Big or Go Home!

Honestly I dont mind upgrading the components at a later date, so I think getting the lower end might be fine for me. Anyone know if Specialized did anything with this bike to prevent brake jack?
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal

Card-carrying wotmeister
    Well, it is FSR, so it isn't very brake jacky at all - at least mine isn't.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rabidweasel999
    Well, it is FSR, so it isn't very brake jacky at all - at least mine isn't.
    Absolutely right, the idea of the Horst Link design to decouple the rear wheel from the main frame so that pedaling and braking forces cannot be transfered from one to the other.

The thing about the Big Hit is though that it's a big heavy pig iron SOB. Don't get me wrong, it's a good design and fab starter bike, but it's old, agricultural, heavy and a sod to maintain if you're a novice. It's also just about to get replaced so under no circumstances should you buy one unless you've been given a hefty discount on list, like maybe 30%: Have a look at http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6320

If you're a novice to DH then you should think seriously about a single pivot bike because they are so much easier to look after and maintain. I would however echo all the negative Kona comments here - I'm not a fan either, they're just not that well dialed and they are overcomplicated for still being a single pivot. The point here is that multi link bikes like Intense, Santa Cruz, Spesh etc, do have some performance advantage from their suspension design, but they are more complicated and typically heavier as a result. Kona take all of the disadvantages of a multi link bike and combine them with all the limitations of single pivot bike, which to my mind is nonsense.

However, it didn't stop Fabian Barrel winning two World Championships aboard a Kona, although his bike is not exactly a starter bike!

I would seriously think about an Orange 224, Morewoord Shova, Transition Blindside (have a look on www.sicklines.com as there is an indepth review of a good budget level DH bike in the guise of a Blindside), good honest simple but very effective DH bikes. The Orange can be had as a complete bike for good value money.

mtbr member
    those suggestions are good and all, but I do need to keep my selection limited to what my LBS will carry.
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal

Living the High Life
    If you like the Kona, get one of those. Sounds like you'll be doing more freeride that DH. Jumps/drops vs racing. At least that's how I view it, but some courses have jumps, and some guys who don't race will ride high speed stuff...so confusing, lets derail the thread and argue!

Anyway, you'll have a blast on the Kona. A co-worker here just got one used (06' stinky deluxe for $850), she loves it. Yeah there may be better bikes, but for the cost/fun ratio it can't be beat since you don't have a long travel bike at all right now.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    your right, I wont be doing any racing on the bike, so maybe I have this posted wrong...

Either way im still looking for a decent bike for the kind of riding im doing. Im half tempted to pick up the 06 Stinky Deluxe thats been sitting down at my LBS... Any idea how much I should expect to pay if I did make this move?
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal

For The Win
    Quote Originally Posted by resistance_mtb
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=23604&cat=3

my bike is for sale, more reliable than the sstinky, and you could get a floating brake for this bike, from brake therapy
    Stinky"s come with a floating break.. You also seem to spam a lot
    Slow is cool too, right?

Living the High Life
    If its sitting there used and in good shape (everything working, no major dents, etc) I'd say around 1/2 retail or a little less, so that bike was $2900, so around $1400.

I just looked and my co-workers bike was an 05' and it was a regular Stinky. The retail was $1900 and it was in decent shape (she had to get rear brake fixed), so $850 was fair for that.

Check out this link http://www.bikepedia.com/Default.aspx great for used bike info since manufacturers are hit and miss for archived info.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    For a first time rig I dont think there is anything wrong with either of these

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....category=27532

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod
    For a first time rig I dont think there is anything wrong with either of these

True, those are some great deals. Virtual pivots (in general don't start yelling about DW vs Maestor vs VPP) eat rocks better. Better yet, those are brand new.

mtbr member
    My 2 cents: I agree w/ Magsgrod's suggestion. Aside from being a good deal, you can also pedal the 7.5 so it's a great shuttle & free ride bike. You won't be doing much pedaling on a true DH rig (I have a V10 and would put the Sunday in that category too) so you'll want to look at more of a freeride setup. Last year when I was researching new rigs I pulled together all the geometry, weight, etc. of FR & DH bikes in a spreadsheet so I could compare them. PM me if you want it. Goodluck!

Members who have read this thread: 0