buying this DH/FR setup tomorrow- Mtbr.com
    Lez go.

buying this DH/FR setup tomorrow

Didn't want to spend much more than $2500 on a new DH/FR setup for this year and I think I'm gonna go with the following:

06 Banshee Scream V2 frame from Adrenaline Bikes for $1449 (w/swinger 6-way)

Complete Freeride Build Kit from wheelworld.com (888 VF 170mm, Hayes brakes, Sun MTX rims, etc.) for $999.99.

Unless I find something on mtbr, pinkbike or ebay by tomorrow (Friday) afternoon, I think I'm gonna go with this setup.

I guess no one can give a review of the 06 Scream since it will be a week before its released, but any other comments on the 05's? Does this sound like a good deal or would you keep looking. I think I'd be hard pressed to find a better deal on that build kit especially.

I had the frame narrowed down to a Demo 8 or 9, an Ellsworth Dare, Rocky Mountain, or the Scream, and I figure I can't go wrong at this price...
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega T
    Didn't want to spend much more than $2500 on a new DH/FR setup for this year and I think I'm gonna go with the following:

06 Banshee Scream V2 frame from Adrenaline Bikes for $1449 (w/swinger 6-way)

Complete Freeride Build Kit from wheelworld.com (888 VF 170mm, Hayes brakes, Sun MTX rims, etc.) for $999.99.

Unless I find something on mtbr, pinkbike or ebay by tomorrow (Friday) afternoon, I think I'm gonna go with this setup.

I guess no one can give a review of the 06 Scream since it will be a week before its released, but any other comments on the 05's? Does this sound like a good deal or would you keep looking. I think I'd be hard pressed to find a better deal on that build kit especially.

I had the frame narrowed down to a Demo 8 or 9, an Ellsworth Dare, Rocky Mountain, or the Scream, and I figure I can't go wrong at this price...
    888VF is no good. Sell it and pick up a different fork. Either the RC or RX2 is a good choice. Or if you don't mind straying from Marzocchi, I'm rather fond of the Mantiou Travis Instrisnics. The new Boxxers with Motion Control dampening are also pretty good.

Lez go.
    How about the swinger 6-way that comes with the frame? Are the bad reviews on here true? Can upgrade to the Fox for $150 more but I'd rather not.
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

Freeriding Feline

Fox

I would go with the Fox just for the PUSH option. And I heard the 888VF is terrible as well.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

Lez go.
    I copied this from the website:

Wheel World Special
    Complete Freeride Build Kit!
    $1,899.99 Closeout: $999.99

Complete Freeride Build Kit!
    Fork: Marzocchi 888 VF 170mm,
    Handlebar: TruVativ Hussefelt OS Riser,
    Stem: TruVativ Hussefelt OS,
    Seatpost: TruVativ XR Double Bolt, size 30.0mm,
    Saddle: WTB Power V Comp,
    Cranks: TruVativ Hussefelt DH, 36/26T, with Rock Guard!,
    Bottom Bracket: TruVativ ISIS DH 68x113mm,
    Chain: XT Hg-73 (9sp),
    Cassette: LX 11-32 9sp.,
    Rear Der: XT,
    Front Der: LX , 1 3/8 TP,BSW
    Shifters: LX 9sp.,
    Disc Brakes: Hayes Hydraulic HFX9-HD 8",
    Brake Levers: Hayes,
    Front Hub: 20mm Through Axle,
    Rear Hub: Shimano XT M525 Disc Large Flange,
    Rims: Sun MTX-S,
    Tires: Nokian NBX Free Ride, 2.5,
    Headset: FSA Pig,
    Pedals: Alloy Platform,
    Kit also includes: Cables, grips, tubes, and rim strips! Wheels come fully built! We are able to keep the cost down significantly on this complete kit, which includes the fork, by pre-packing and having it ready to ship on demand! Because they are pre-packed you save big however there are NO SUBSTITUTIONS on any parts! Kit comes as-is!

Now is the 888 VF THAT bad that you would pass up this build kit? I know someone who just put in a season at Diablo/Platty with the same fork that hasn't had any problems so far. I really don't want to go over $3K total on a bike, and if I upgrade the fork then I'm gonna have to spend a ton more outside this build kit. If I upgrade from the swinger to a Fox DHX 5.0, there's another $150.
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

Go Do Be
    Oct 2005

another idea

04 V-10 never raced ridden 10 times
    1 fith element shock 500 # spring, with Fox DHX mounted 450 and 500 #spring
    Chris King Headset, No race.
    Floating disk brake,
    Rear hub,
    Seat post.
    Saint Cranks
    World cup mrp.

Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Now is the 888 VF THAT bad that you would pass up this build kit? I know someone who just put in a season at Diablo/Platty with the same fork that hasn't had any problems so far. I really don't want to go over $3K total on a bike, and if I upgrade the fork then I'm gonna have to spend a ton more outside this build kit. If I upgrade from the swinger to a Fox DHX 5.0, there's another $150.
    The build kit looks good. The 888VF isn't all bad but you cant adjust it so that is the big drawback. I would buy the kit and sell that fork as soon as you have enough money to buy a 888rc or rc2x, 66rc or rc2x, or the new Travis. You should be able to find a 888rc or 66rc for a great price right now since the '06s are now available.
    `..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`. .`..`...><((((> `.. `..

Lez go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tparty
    04 V-10 never raced ridden 10 times
    1 fith element shock 500 # spring, with Fox DHX mounted 450 and 500 #spring
    Chris King Headset, No race.
    Floating disk brake,
    Rear hub,
    Seat post.
    Saint Cranks
    World cup mrp.

Just a thought.
    Can you send me a pic?
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

Go Do Be
    Oct 2005
    Can you send me a pic?
    Yes, I am leaving for work I will send it to you tonite if thats ok, seriously its clean.
    I changed over to a foes mono and an intense M3 (the M3 is for my wife )
    Last month I sold a 888rc unused sorry I missed you.

mtbr member
    Call Marzocchi and ask about sending the fork up and paying to get the WORKS kit installed!!!!!!! THEY TOLD me like 5 months ago it would be $300 that is dirt cheap and still under what you want to spend. I have a swinger on my frame and it works good. Actually can gat a fast rebound with it!!!!!!

Lez go.
    I just realized that this is only the 7" version of the 888. Can get the 8" version for $460. Might be worth it to buy the build kit, sell the 170mm and buy the 200mm.
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

I lean like a cholo!
    I just realized that this is only the 7" version of the 888. Can get the 8" version for $460. Might be worth it to buy the build kit, sell the 170mm and buy the 200mm.
    You will need a different rear wheel than is listed in the freeride build kit you listed. The Scream takes a 150mm X 12mm thru axle and rear hub. The wheel in your build kit has a standard 135mm hub that wont work. The Scream is a good ride. I had a manitou 4-way on my Astrix Huckster (hunk of sh!t, bad CS) and the shock was good, but I like the Fox DHX on my Scream better, due to it's ease in tuning.

Also, on the 05s the frames were very particular on what front derailleurs would fit. I would check with Banshee if the one listed will work.

Good luck
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

Members who have read this thread: 0