is a bullit too much?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

is a bullit too much?

I am 130, and I dont do very big drops. So far 3 foot or so but I havent found anything big ( i have been doin it all on a 5 in. hardtail) I want to do more, I have only seriously rode for 1 year. Is the bullit too much bike? I will have a xc bike too, and i will hopefully get to northstar and downieville a couple times. I mostly ride Side O in berkleey. Should I just get a heckler frame?

Glad to Be Alive
    get the Bullitt....an all around good bike that will be strong enough for you when you start stepping it up bigger....will take care of Downieville too......might want to get a floating brake if you think you need it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

ride hard take risks
    Bullets are awsome, if you have the chance to get one grab it. Test ride the bike first to make shure it fits properly.
    If you dont know about them you should sign up with RideSFO, bunch of cool people all riding together in tha bay area. Every mornning you get 1-2 letters about whats happening each day . http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/ridesfo/

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    maybe look into the weyless 67 for yourself

maybe the bullit IS to much of an overkill

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    get the Bullitt....an all around good bike that will be strong enough for you when you start stepping it up bigger....will take care of Downieville too......might want to get a floating brake if you think you need it
    I think the Pirate is right. I also think the Bullit frame is only a pound heavier than the Heckler frame (anyone know if this is true?). You can build a Bullit up light enough to actually ride xc if want. On the other hand, if you are staying under 6' and only weigh 130, the Heckler will take care of you nicely.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Cheesiest
    Bullits are SICK! I just got one built up. I'm hoping that it will be verstile, because it is my XC/Trail/FR/DH bike. So far, I've only gone on two rides, but it handled great. It climbs really well for the amount of travel it has. I've only hit one 3' drop, thus far, but I know this bike will hurt me. The 3' felt like 2" on the Bullit.

I have it set-up in more of a trail build, than a freeride build; but, once I pay some bills, I plan on getting a 66.

Here are some pics:

Good luck on your decision.
    Last edited by intheways; 02-07-2006 at 09:05 AM. Reason: pictures weren't working

Glad to Be Alive
    yummy.....rootbeer....looks good
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways
    Here are some pics:

Good luck on your decision.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Bullit's are solid, versatile bikes that you can set up just about any way you want (see TNC) and would be good as you advance in your riding skills. I started mountain biking about 6 or 7 months ago and I bought a Specialized Enduro that I've been super stoked with... you can definitely get a bullit cheaper though.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

ICORR - FORC
    Are you going to keep your hardtail? If so, the Bullit may be the choice to make; as has been mentioned it's a super frame that can be built a lot of ways, and I surely love mine.

If you're getting rid of the hardtail and this will be your only ride, I'd consider the Heckler (w/ coil shock). Everyone starts out thinking the Bullit frame is only a pound or so heavier, but after building it complete the way it ought to be built (longer travel fork, etc) the weight starts to build up. At 130lb and where you are in your skill, a Heckler won't let you down. Besides, you'll be looking for something to step-up to in a year or two, right?

Good Luck!

mtbr member

if your light

you'll be surprised what you can get away with on a lighter bike like the heckler or cona coiler.
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

conjoinicorned
    go heckler. i weigh just a touch more than you, my DH/FR bike is a 6" travel 45lb monster, and any drop/trail i won't take has nothing to do with the bike...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

New project, TBA shortly
    I say go for it. I made the mistake of going for an XC'd bullit (32lbs) back in '01, and within a year I'd completely ditched the Z.1, XC wheels, 2.3 tires, 110mm stem, etc for more FR/DH worthy components. Easily dropped a grand/$1200 due to progressing quickly from entry level FR to full on DH racing. You might be doing 3' drops now, but if you're riding partners are going big and heading to the ski resorts, you could very well outgrow that 5" AM bike pretty quickly.

Riding with...
    depends on your skill of being able to progess. some people just suck and barely get better, if your like that than get a heckler or something. if you can learn quick and bust ur ass learning then get the bullit. you shouldnt make ur choice on what majority rules of people on here, because they dont know about you, and neither do i, im just saying think about it, are you going to need the hyrdo brakes, big travel, and what not for small drops and stuff? im not bashing in any way, but i started biking with a xc bike with 100 mm travel, rim brakes and what not, and i got out there doing 4-5 foot drops on it and nothin ever broke, i just decided i wanted a bike where my seat was so far up my ass to do it from.. so basically it comes down to, how hard of a rider are you and how fast do you learn? do some thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xtricycle
    I am 130, and I dont do very big drops. So far 3 foot or so but I havent found anything big ( i have been doin it all on a 5 in. hardtail) I want to do more, I have only seriously rode for 1 year. Is the bullit too much bike? I will have a xc bike too, and i will hopefully get to northstar and downieville a couple times. I mostly ride Side O in berkleey. Should I just get a heckler frame?

I have an 01' Bullit that started out w/ a 5" Z1 and V brakes. Last season it had a Shiver DC and full DH trim. This season it has a 150mm Z1 and all mountain trim. Perfect all around ride - it regularly see's Downieville, N* , Santa Cruz, Pacifica etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xtricycle

dam you ride side-o? i ride there all the time. PM me if you want to meet up sometime. keep the trail on the d/l though and just avoid ever posting location

Members who have read this thread: 0