Bullit for FR/DH ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Bullit for FR/DH ?

My lbs is offering me reasonably good deal for a new built up 08 SC Bullit.

What should I be looking for? Has the frame changed much since 08?

I already have an XC rig. Would like an AM to light DH rig.

Will this do it for me? Is it not enough for bike parks?

I am 160 pounds, 5'6", 30 inch inseam and looking at a medium frame.

Money is tight so I can only grab stuff as deals come along. Don't need one now, but if it's a good frame for somebody like me, I may take it since it sounds like a good deal for a built up bike. I have a tendency to over spend when it comes to building anything. I can pass too.

/bing
    Last edited by bing!; 08-27-2010 at 06:45 PM.

West Coast FTW!
    May 2009
    its fairly common to see a few up in Whistler, most would use it for everything from DH park laps to AM in the valley, can be built up however you like, 6 inch fork or dual crown as well, I used to rock a 2001 Bullitt in the park years ago and it did just fine, the new one look sweet, beefier pivots and tough frame, go for it....

mtbr member
    I think you'll love it, I had an 08 bullit as my only bike for a while. It could handle anything, including rides that inolve a climb but too gnarly a descent for the XC bikes. Best park bike I had ever owned, if it had fit me better I would have kept it for that sole purpose. I'm 6 foot and found the bike too small. I sold it to some one around your height and I've heard nothing but good things back from him, I'de do it if I were you. It was a good price when I bought it two years ago, it should be a great deal now. Domain is the most underated fork out there, and it comes on most of the bullit's budget builds, you'll be extremely happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Cant really go wrong with one. If the price is right, then go for it.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

mtbr member
    I've seen the shock mounting bolt and frame break.

if your railing "A" line and dirt merchant than you need a stronger bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Definitely test ride it. At 5'6" a medium may be too big.

In Armor We Trust
    Bullit is an awesome all around bike, whether you use it for FR and/or DH and run it with a single or dual crown. The old ones were great, and the newer ones seem to be even a bit better with the redesigned rear triangle, pivots, extra gussets, etc... I have several friends with various years, and they all love them.
    DH: Pivot Phoenix
    AM: Pivot Mach 6
    FG: KHS Flite 100

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My girl rides on 08 Bullit built with Saint and an RS Domain 180 up front as her DH/park bike. She is 5'7" and the small is the perfect fit for her, so look carefully at the medium before you buy. Set up with air shocks front and rear and a double crank and this bike will be primo for all-mountain, but I'd put coils and a single ring on it and rip the bike park with confidence. The single pivot is ultra low maintenance and extremely predictable in its handling; I can't believe the way the bike has allowed her to progress since she got it. Tons of bike for the $$$.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Will test the medium and try to find a small for testing too. Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    Small is super small dude. These bikes do have a high stand-over height, but they're not very long, you should feel comfortable on the medium. I wouldn't worry about test riding the small, you should be able to judge what you'd like off the one size. Your feet might rub on the chainstays on the first few rides aswell but you'll get used to it and readjust after a week.

In Armor We Trust
    Yeah, the Bullit has a short-ish tt and a really short dt and wheelbase. Women tend to have proportionally longer legs than guys right, so at her height she's prob close to the upper limit for a size small.
    DH: Pivot Phoenix
    AM: Pivot Mach 6
    FG: KHS Flite 100

mtbr member
    i'm also 5' 6" and used to have a medium bullit but sold it bc it was too big. I even went as far as trying to put a 24" rear wheel on it to make it fit better. that's a good deal but I def noticed the size (and I tend to like the bigger bike if I'm on the cusp of sizes)

Members who have read this thread: 0