Buildin hardtail (help)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Buildin hardtail (help)

I plan on building my next bike w/ some help, some time next spring. Fork: Z1 fr 1 ETA
    Frame: Sinister Ridge. I need some info on the ridge before i buy it. part of the frame is in a square shape and the square is not exactly a strong geometric shape. Will this frame hold up good. Not doin anything real big, 8 or so ft drops to a tran. lot of jumping, freeriding. Also what are some good wheel sets(26" disc) that are gona take a good beating but are not extremely expensive nothin over $500.

l337 |31k3r
    Have you been to the sinister website? http://www.sinisterbikes.com

I have not ridden the frame yet, but I hear its an amazing all arrounder and can take a lot of sh|t you throw at it. I belive "banshee rider" owns one....

As for wheelsets, try looking at the azonic outlaw wheelset for 275 bones. Possibly the momentum wheelset if you dig spending more money.
    http://www.azonicusa.com/catalog/ind...f444e4600b9e53
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

mtbr member
    Looks like a good wheel set and not too much $. Yea ive been to sinisterbikes thats where i got the pic. Just the logical side of me is thinkin square shape=not strong.

l337 |31k3r
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettj45
    Looks like a good wheel set and not too much $. Yea ive been to sinisterbikes thats where i got the pic. Just the logical side of me is thinkin square shape=not strong.
    Indeed, but if you look arround you will see a lot of square tubing. I hear the Ridge is as strong as they come, and personally am thinking of building up a burly HT for myself. I am thinking one of many frames...its just that the ridge is on the expensive side.

People here tend to like the outlaw and momentum wheelsets....strong and light. Its what im going to use.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

mtbr member
    yes its 750 but its sexy and hardcore. And im gona have about 2500 to build a bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    as for the wheelset check out go-ride. they have arrow dhx's for $519 (pair) with a hadley rear hub and a sun ringle up front i think.

mtbr member
    Gramatica this is off subject but i have a feeling you play counter strike perhaps its the L337 74LK

l337 |31k3r
    Gramatica this is off subject but i have a feeling you play counter strike perhaps its the L337 74LK
    O but of course.......1 4m l773 h4ckz0r

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

mtbr member
    you think its actually comin out Nov. 16th

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    oh yeah and i'm the one who spends too much time on the computer.

mtbr member
    lol to tell you the truth i havent played video games for like 2 years and im not trying to interwine computer use and a bike park....

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I plan on building my next bike w/ some help, some time next spring. Fork: Z1 fr 1 ETA
    Frame: Sinister Ridge. I need some info on the ridge before i buy it. part of the frame is in a square shape and the square is not exactly a strong geometric shape. Will this frame hold up good. Not doin anything real big, 8 or so ft drops to a tran. lot of jumping, freeriding. Also what are some good wheel sets(26" disc) that are gona take a good beating but are not extremely expensive nothin over $500.

dude, yer stealin' my idea! no, jk. but i am in the same boat as you. i want to build up a new ht for spring and looking for about the same thing as you. i am torn between the ridge and the evi imperial. let me just say that i looked at a lot of frames and unless you want to go chromoly the sinister is one of the strongest all-around bikes i saw. from what i have been asking people the frame is crazy strong and basically it seemed like paying for piece of mind not having to worry about your frame and whether its gonna hold up to abuse. its alot of money but worth it, imo.
    if you have ?'s email sinister bikes. they got back to me the day after. sweet.

as for the azonics...they look strong enough and i am considering them also but only cause i dont have a TA fork and if i up grade my fork the hubs are convertible.
    options are important to me...

one more thing to consider: the ridge is 1.5 headtube so youre gonna have to spring for reducers if you want to run a standard headset and fork. i think you can get them for relatively cheap. (about 30 i think, not sure)

hope that helps. ive been posting alot about my build ideas so that helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    lol to tell you the truth i havent played video games for like 2 years and im not trying to interwine computer use and a bike park....
    hey the first MTBR certified park is being constructed as we speak... it was just a joking idea about how to filter out the people who would sue if they crashed.

mtbr member
    do you know if Marzocchi Z1 fr 1 eta fork would fit? where could i look for headsets that would fit the frame

l337 |31k3r
    Yea, I have preloaded it and waiting. Im already playing CS source, and cant wait for DOD source. I can almost bet I spend the most time on my computer.....

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

l337 |31k3r
    im a moron.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

l337 |31k3r
    do you know if Marzocchi Z1 fr 1 eta fork would fit? where could i look for headsets that would fit the frame
    $39 at go ride

$36 at go ride

These together will give you the ability to run a 1 1/8 headset (the Z1 FR1). If you looking for a long travle fork that you dont need HS reducers for, the manitou Breakout and Breakout plus come with 1.5 steerers. A lot of people dont like the SPV it comes with though. Im on the edge of my seat looking for the next 1.5 fork from another company.....(thats not a lefty)

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Bob Saget Fan
    Mar 2004

Square stays are strong!!

Don't worry about the square box tubing on the rear triangle. They are more rigid then round stays. Depending on the axis the force is applied, a box tubing can be very strong. Almost every frame uses box tubing because on the rear the forces are applied in a way that makes sense to have them.Like when you land a drop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramatica
    im a moron.
    hey! what the..
    i dont think buying that fsa headset is necessary. it was my impression that getting reducers meant you could run any standard 1.5 headset you wanted. it doesnt seem like you need to buy another headset, just the spacers.

but yeah, i am also waiting to see who else is gonna make a 1.5 fork next. i want to get an 04 breakout in camo. if i can find one or through my lbs maybe...

mtbr remember
    yeah, I would have to agree about the square stays being more rigid.
    As for other companies making 1.5" forks, don't think it will happen, at least not Zokes anyway.
    Personally I like the 1.5" ht frames better because it gives you the option of forks- both 1 1/8th and 1.5, and it gives the ht/tt/dt junction more weld area, making it stronger and stiffer w/out extra gusseting.
    I don't really like SPV either, but I can deal w/ it.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Excellent