Build Me A Light DH Wheelset Please- Mtbr.com
    MTBR Mafia

Build Me A Light DH Wheelset Please

Ok so I am back on the forums once again. I am building a top secret bike and need some suggestions on a wheelset. I need to be able to race on it and ride AM and DH fairly often. there will be no hucking or anything of that nature. I weigh 145.

Just to put it out there, no I9 wheels for me, not diggin it yet.

I have anywhere from 400 to possibly 800 or so to spend and I am just looking for some insightful read insightful opinions on what you all think. I can build wheels so custom sets are not a problem.

Thanks,
    Cdub
    All Mountain was so 2005

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    Ok so I am back on the forums once again. I am building a top secret bike and need some suggestions on a wheelset. I need to be able to race on it and ride AM and DH fairly often. there will be no hucking or anything of that nature. I weigh 145.

Just to put it out there, no I9 wheels for me, not diggin it yet.

I have anywhere from 400 to possibly 800 or so to spend and I am just looking for some insightful read insightful opinions on what you all think. I can build wheels so custom sets are not a problem.

Thanks,
    Cdub
    Hope hubs, Mavic 823 rims, 14g spokes - good wheelbuilder, call it a day - run tubeless with those rims - strong, fairly light, taken care of properly, last you a very long time
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

MTBR Mafia
    Im definately leaning towards the 823's.

What about hubs everyone, what are your thoughts as far as them?

Oh and im shooting for 36 lbs and some change on the 8" front and rear dh bike. possibly into the 37's with 2.5 tires on both ends
    All Mountain was so 2005

Old No. 7
    Hopes on mavic 721s, go w/ champion spokes and brass nipples for a more set and forget wheel set, or go w/ compititon spokes w/ alloy nipples if you want a ligher build.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by fred.r
    Hopes on mavic 721s, go w/ champion spokes and brass nipples for a more set and forget wheel set, or go w/ compititon spokes w/ alloy nipples if you want a ligher build.
    Why the 721's and not 823's??

and i think i will go with 14mm threadlocked aluminum nipples and champion spokes.

just down to hoops and hubs now
    All Mountain was so 2005

moaaar shimz
    823 with hope

Old No. 7
    Why the 721's and not 823's??

and i think i will go with 14mm threadlocked aluminum nipples and champion spokes.

just down to hoops and hubs now
    They're lighter, and if you really want to go tubeless, you can always go ghetto or stans. and they're a good bit cheaper.

Glad to Be Alive
    Im definately leaning towards the 823's.

What about hubs everyone, what are your thoughts as far as them?

Oh and im shooting for 36 lbs and some change on the 8" front and rear dh bike. possibly into the 37's with 2.5 tires on both ends

EX 823's 210 pounds......3 years same rim....next
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by fred.r
    They're lighter, and if you really want to go tubeless, you can always go ghetto or stans. and they're a good bit cheaper.
    I thought the 823's were 580 and the 723 590 grams but i could be wrong
    All Mountain was so 2005

Calm like a Bomb
    Check out speedgoats website, they have a wheelbuilder with many options and will give u the weight of the setup...dope tool to figure out cost and weight of a wheelset + I hear they build a good set as well

Old No. 7
    I thought the 823's were 580 and the 723 590 grams but i could be wrong
    823's are 657g claimed, and 721's are 590g claimed.

Pro Crastinator
    i always use the revolution spokes in my wheelsets. i guarantee if they last on my wheels for the past 8 years, they will last on yours too. plus they are a lot lighter than either of the others...

mtbr member
    Check out the Atomlab pimplites they're solid, fairly light and reliable. I've been running the old atomlab DHR's and i think they're virtually the same as the new pimp lites which are a lightened trailpimp using a combination of alloys for added strength but lighter weight. I ran them for about 5 years all over CA and AZ and they held up really well, only managed to destroy one freehub body which was really just due to neglect. I just built a new set of pimplites about 6 weeks ago but i've been on the IR and haven't had a chance to ride em yet...hopefully it's just 2 more weeks and i'll be back in the saddle, rollin my new wheels.
    Mr. broke hands

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    EX 823's 210 pounds......3 years same rim....next
    liar, your first set cracked in about 100 different places, i'm positive your new set is just over a year old...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    liar, your first set cracked in about 100 different places, i'm positive your new set is just over a year old...
    front the same and I changed out the rear like 1 1/2 to 2 years ago
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

MTBR Mafia
    ok the UST 823's are 580 grams the normal ones are more
    All Mountain was so 2005

Old No. 7
    Not according to Mavic. The 721's are 590, the 823's are 657.
    721<823

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that Mavic has a habit of listing weights without the nipple cups. They're actually heavier than listed when its all said and done. I might give DT 5.1s a shot. I'm building up a set on Hope Pro IIs as soon as I can actually get the right rims shipped to me.

I wear two thongs
    I second the DT reccomendations for spokes, its what I use on all my wheel builds and im 230lbs and havent had an issue with one yet.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Premium Member
    -Hope Pro II hubs
    -DT 5.1 rims if you're smooth, Sun Singletracks if you're a bit more hack, but still pretty decent, Mavic 721 if you're semi-hack.
    -DT revolution spokes, 2.0/1.5
    -DT alloy nipples

Singletracks are really cheap, and I've loved mine. I'm usually pretty smooth, but I have definately hit stuff with them, and they work great! If you want to save a bit more money, go Marzocchi for the front hub with Hope rear.

Bike Ninja |||
    Ugh.. king hubs f/r laced DT Revo spokes spokeprepped(loctite) w/ allon nipples (choice of color) to mavic ex823s.

or you can realize reality and bust out some I9s... hollow forged spokes.. light as hell....
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    823's laced to hadley's brass nipples dt swiss spokes

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    What about the DT 1750's hoops laced to I nines?
    MCtigre

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    As noted, 823's are gonna come in around 700g due to the nipple cups.

At your weight, DT 5.1's
    Supercomp, Revolution, or CX-Ray spokes
    Hope hubs are lighter than king or hadley

Other option is I-9's laced to 5.1's

Is dang happy!

???????

i always use the revolution spokes in my wheelsets. i guarantee if they last on my wheels for the past 8 years, they will last on yours too. plus they are a lot lighter than either of the others...
    Revs on DH wheels! I quit using them on XC wheels because they squirmed around and streched out if you looked at them funny.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Premium Member
    I heart flexy spokes. They make your wheels elastic so they don't go out of true so easily. My 15/16g DT spokes make my wheels bombproof because they're springy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My wheels-

Hope pro II, areo lite front, comp rear, stans flow, alloy nipples. 1756grams.

Add an 8gram valve and light plastic rim tape and easy setup tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j5ive
    My wheels-

Hope pro II, areo lite front, comp rear, stans flow, alloy nipples. 1756grams.

Add an 8gram valve and light plastic rim tape and easy setup tubeless.

How are your Stans Flows holding up? Their quite an interesting rim.

So what do you guys think about this myth?:
    The skill of the wheel builder is more of a factor in the wheel's strength than the components that the wheel was made from.

Considering that the components are not incredibly low end.

For example: Could you use AM/ Light Freeride Rims, Hubs and Spokes for FR/DH if the wheel was built (very) well? I assume it would be alright if the person was of average weight or lighter.

Is this the market for the Industry9 built wheelset?
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

East Coast Style
    if you have the money do the i9s. I just got mine recently and i love them. theyre very light, and theyre holding up great. I've got mine built up on 823's, so im running a tubeless setup. if youre dead convinced on not getting them, stick with the 823 rims and go with hope or hadley hubs. but seriously consider the i9's
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom
    Revs on DH wheels! I quit using them on XC wheels because they squirmed around and streched out if you looked at them funny.
    that's because of poor spoke tension. believe me, my wheelsets would be called anything but flexy, by anyone who has ever ridden my bike or borrowed my wheelsets. they have eaten a few flappy derrailleurs in thier time and only bent one spoke on one occasion and one broke on another occasion. with some good tension, they build into rock solid wheels. i am even running a set of wheels right now that i just reused the spokes from a wheelset that had a less fortunate set of rims on it. the spokes are now 6 years old, i built the current wheelset in '02...

sixsixtysix
    C-Dub, I'm telling you, go with King hubs if you want light, you will have the option of running 135 or 150mm spacing. Since you're a flyweight go for the 135, you don't need the stiffness of a 150mm that a fatass like I would Then pick your rim, stay away from DT's, they are like aluminum foil when it comes to hardness, they flatspot and dent like crazy. The Mavic 823's are listed 657g on Mavic's site. I could recommend another rim which I beat the crap out of for 3 years with 0 problems that only weighs 580g but I would get booo'd out of the Mavic fanboy club here (cough Velocity Cliffhangers cough).

The best investment you can make for your wheels is to call Dave Thomas out in Fountain Hills, he has build my last 2 sets of wheels and is a freaking genius when it comes to building super strong, super stiff, super light wheels. The set he built me with the King/Velocity combo weighed in at 770g for the front and 897g for the rear. The entire set was 1667g for a bling DH wheelset. Its a little narrower rim at 28mm, but I never had any problem running 2.5's on them, and they can be run tubless with Stans or Maxxis strips. Dave can build you a set of these for $750, which isn't bad for what you get. If you want to see one of the rims I can bring one of my old ones into the shop next week for you to check out. Just don't let Fish know, he gives me tons of sh!t for spending the money to have Dave build my stuff.

Heres my old set when they were new.

Oh, So Interesting!
    arrow frx / hope pro 2 / dt 14/15/14 / 36 spoke

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    DT's are not weak. There is a bit of mis-information floating around as DT orig released the 6.1 with soft metal to help prevent pinch flats during race conditions. They were designed to be the ultimate race rim in that the rider would prefer to replace the rim than loose a race over a pinch flat. This didn't pan out so well for all the non-racers who got a hold of the 6.1's. The material has since been changed and they are now bombproof.

I've bee beating the shiz out of my 823's for a while now and they are perfectly true but they're also a bit heavy.

For a light rider, in race conditions, a 5.1 will yeild a 400g advantage, which is huge. If you're uber-smooth, a 4.1d is even possible for a race-day only wheelset which ups the weight savings to 550g over 823's.

I-9 is backed up 8 weeks right now. I have them building a set of wheels with 5.1's for my Highline now which will bring my total build to just under 34.5 lbs when running single-plys.

The Stans rims, particularly the Flow and the Arch, look interesting but DT is the known quantity for light and strong.

Quarashi - keep us in the loop on how your rims hold up.

Glad to Be Alive
    that's because of poor spoke tension. believe me, my wheelsets would be called anything but flexy, by anyone who has ever ridden my bike or borrowed my wheelsets. they have eaten a few flappy derrailleurs in thier time and only bent one spoke on one occasion and one broke on another occasion. with some good tension, they build into rock solid wheels. i am even running a set of wheels right now that i just reused the spokes from a wheelset that had a less fortunate set of rims on it. the spokes are now 6 years old, i built the current wheelset in '02...
    yeah...I think the Nemesis is Mikes first bran new bike in 5 years (at least)....never seen him with a complete new bike.... just new frames

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Another vote for DT 5.1s. They are plenty strong for DH/FR at a buck forty five. I rode with some guys at Whistler last summer who were around 165 and going huge on 5.1s with no issues whatsoever. At 220 lbs, I don't trust them for the bike park, but they have gotten plenty of abuse on my uphill bike.

I have a set of Mavic 729s and a set of Mavic 823s for my downhill bike. Love the 729s, only use the 823s as backups. Not sure why so many love the 823s - in my experience they are narrower and heavier than the 729s. The 823's brass nipple inserts add another 40-60 grams per wheel, putting actual rim weight around 700 grams.

Also tire/tube selection will make a much larger weight difference than any of the rims mentioned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    sixsixtysix - something is up with that sweet velocity wheelset - either the rims MUST be lighter than 580g or the wheelset is heavier than 1667g? reason i'm thinking this is a 770g front wheel with a 580g rim leaves 190g for the hub, spokes and nipples which, unless your wheelbuilder friend is a miracle worker, seems impossible? also 897g rear wheel with a 580g rim leaves only 317g for a rear hub, spokes and nipples. the rims must be lighter for the wheelset to be under 1700g?

cdub - for hubs i'd go king or hadley in the rear and DT240S, hope pro II, or king in the front. spokes - supercomps. for rims, if you're going tubeless, and given you're 145lbs doing DH and AM (no big casadia FR action going on) i'd give the Flow rims a try, if not tubeless 5.1s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    823/Hope/Revs

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by gratiflying
    sixsixtysix - something is up with that sweet velocity wheelset - either the rims MUST be lighter than 580g or the wheelset is heavier than 1667g? reason i'm thinking this is a 770g front wheel with a 580g rim leaves 190g for the hub, spokes and nipples which, unless your wheelbuilder friend is a miracle worker, seems impossible? also 897g rear wheel with a 580g rim leaves only 317g for a rear hub, spokes and nipples. the rims must be lighter for the wheelset to be under 1700g?
    I was going off memory on the weights I actually just dug out my receipt for the old wheels with the weights and yes, I was a little off, my bad

Actual Weights:
    CK ISO hubs: 166g for the front, 308g for the rear.
    The 580g weight of the rim is the claimed weight from Velocity but they actually come in quite a bit lighter 525g.
    Spokes per wheel were 122g using DT Swiss Revolution 1.8/1.5/1.8mm.
    Aluminum Nipples were 11g per wheel.
    Front wheel weighed 824g
    Rear wheel weighed 966g
    Total of 1790g for the wheelset
    Total Price $784.60 w/shipping

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How would 819's hold up. I would imagine that they are in the same boat as 5.1's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    How would 819's hold up. I would imagine that they are in the same boat as 5.1's
    Narrower, and not as strong.

Members who have read this thread: 0