Budget Oriented Stable- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Budget Oriented Stable

The green bike is a Haro X7. It only cost about 2000 bucks but I have added a few nice parts to keep me stoked on it. Formula Oro Biancos - PUSHed Van R with Ti spring. Plus ghetto tubeless shaved some weight. 37 lbs

Hardtail is an Azonic Steelhead. Stuck the juicy 5s on it off my haro when I got the Formulas. Traded for the bars, saddle and front tire. I have about 700 bucks in it (bought it used) Its my all-round beater. Ride everything with it. The seatpost is reaaally long so I can get full leg extension for the climbs (plus, I have a stubby post with dj saddle for the pumptrack). Single ring in the front - the F. derailluer is part of my ghetto chainguide! 35 lbs but it shreds singletrack. At that weight my legs have to be getting strong!

The point to my post is to encourage those just getting into the sport to not be so concerned with the 5000 dollar DH and XC bikes. I have plenty of fun with these two. I have progressed a lot since I started riding exactly 3 years ago. Will I get a Loaded 951 soon?? Maaybe - but in the meantime Im gonna be having a blast with what I got.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891

The green bike is a Haro X7. It only cost about 2000 bucks but I have added a few nice parts to keep me stoked on it. Formula Oro Biancos - PUSHed Van R with Ti spring. Plus ghetto tubeless shaved some weight. 37 lbs

Hardtail is an Azonic Steelhead. Stuck the juicy 5s on it off my haro when I got the Formulas. Traded for the bars, saddle and front tire. I have about 700 bucks in it (bought it used) Its my all-round beater. Ride everything with it. The seatpost is reaaally long so I can get full leg extension for the climbs (plus, I have a stubby post with dj saddle for the pumptrack). Single ring in the front - the F. derailluer is part of my ghetto chainguide! 35 lbs but it shreds singletrack. At that weight my legs have to be getting strong!

The point to my post is to encourage those just getting into the sport to not be so concerned with the 5000 dollar DH and XC bikes. I have plenty of fun with these two. I have progressed a lot since I started riding exactly 3 years ago. Will I get a Loaded 951 soon?? Maaybe - but in the meantime Im gonna be having a blast with what I got.

The green bike? They are both green...lol

That is a very nice stable! You have done a great job for $2700! I was amazed when I saw a "budget bike" with a Ti spring and a pushed shock. Those look great and are a prime example of putting together solid bikes that wont melt your credit card.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Budget builds are awesome! Don't get me wrong I would love to have a fully loaded DH bike with 40's and Chris Kings etc, the build on my bike isn't the cheapest, but it certainly isn't the best. All that matters is being able to go ride and not having to worry about the bike falling apart and being able to go home at the end of the day and still have electricity

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by simcik
    The green bike? They are both green...lol

That is a very nice stable! You have done a great job for $2700! I was amazed when I saw a "budget bike" with a Ti spring and a pushed shock. Those look great and are a prime example of putting together solid bikes that wont melt your credit card.
    haha - got me on that one! the hardtail is usually so dirty I dont know what color it is.

The Haro was 2K when it was new. I have since spent some money on it as you can see. The drivetrain was the recent wear and tear item replaced.. The other stuff were true "luxuries" though

Glad to Be Alive
    very cool....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet
    Budget builds are awesome! Don't get me wrong I would love to have a fully loaded DH bike with 40's and Chris Kings etc, the build on my bike isn't the cheapest, but it certainly isn't the best. All that matters is being able to go ride and not having to worry about the bike falling apart and being able to go home at the end of the day and still have electricity

The true oath for us budget riders

Members who have read this thread: 0