budget bike Seven Point/BigHit/Diablo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

budget bike Seven Point/BigHit/Diablo

Any one have any opinions on these three bikes? Looking for a DH/FR rig but want to keep it under 2k.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Seven Point.

I'm looking at a used Big Hit 3, I've heard it's pretty heavy and doesn't pedal as well?

The Jamis Diablo is very low priced at Jenson, I've heard good things except is has a low bottom bracket (12.5).

I live in the midwest and even our FR trails at ski resort require some pedaling, so I need a bike that pedals well.

Any opinions on these three bikes would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've had an 06 seven point, and I used for an entire season at Keystone and Winter Park, and I rode it in Moab. Did great with lift access, and with the pedaling in the desert. Check out randall scott cycles, they usually have really good prices on seven points.
    To Triumph without Risk is to Conquer without Glory.

'06 Ironhorse 7.3
    '96 Scott Tampico...Newspaper Delivery Machine

mtbr member
    Overall the Seven Point will probably pedal best up hill and have a real good spec for the price. The Big Hit (if w/Pro Pedal) pedals really well through the rough and the suspension is best at being very active during speed and braking. Not too sure about Jamis.
    Last edited by X-Vert; 07-28-2008 at 03:24 PM.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

long standing member
    I've got the Big Hit 3 (2007) which I really like. It handles the rough terrain and the bigger hits real well. I purchased my bike incomplete so I've got some upgrades such as wheels (Mavic 823 rims/DT Swiss FR hubs), brakes (Magura Gustavs), tires (Maxxis Minions), bars (Race Face Diabolus), pedals (Syncros Mental), etc. so I don't know exactly how well all of the original components perform or how reliable they are.

My only complaints would be the cranks (one of my crank arms loosened, stripped-out and fell off in between DH runs...replaced with Saints) and the fork (888RV), which performs "OK" but is not all that adjustable with only a rebound control. I recently changed the oil to a heavier weight to see if I could improve the damping, but did not notice a big difference. I do like the stiffness of the DC and extra travel of this fork over the single crown Zoke 66 I had previously.

I haven't pedaled this bike around all that much, I use it exclusively for resort riding. On the flat DH trails is seems to pedal great, you can grind right through rock gardens no problem. An adjustable or telescoping seatpost would probably be necessary for extended climbing or trail riding because the interrupted seat tube does not allow much seat post adjustment. I cut my post pretty short because I always keep the saddle pretty low.

I haven't tried a 7Point or Diablo so I can't offer a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by tristan2ride
    Any one have any opinions on these three bikes? Looking for a DH/FR rig but want to keep it under 2k.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Seven Point.

I'm looking at a used Big Hit 3, I've heard it's pretty heavy and doesn't pedal as well?

The Jamis Diablo is very low priced at Jenson, I've heard good things except is has a low bottom bracket (12.5).

I live in the midwest and even our FR trails at ski resort require some pedaling, so I need a bike that pedals well.

mtbr member
    I have an 08 Bighit III. It actually pedals around pretty well. Kept up with some XC/trail riders just fine and much better than my 03 Bighit.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

Professional Troll

Where in the midwest? Which trails? Most trails in the midwest would be better served on like a 6inch trail/lite FR bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for your opinions. I think it's between the Seven Point and the Big Hit right now.

Gemini2k05 - I'm in Chicago, but I already have a 5" Motolite with a burlier build for regular trail riding. I thought about getting a 6" bike like a Reign, but I think the Moto with the build I have on it know can do you most of what the Reign would be able to do.

I just came from Boyne Highlands Bike Park and even thought the Moto did ok, I just feel a full on 7"-8" bike with a slacker geo would have served me better.

Professional Troll
    Thanks for your opinions. I think it's between the Seven Point and the Big Hit right now.

Gemini2k05 - I'm in Chicago, but I already have a 5" Motolite with a burlier build for regular trail riding. I thought about getting a 6" bike like a Reign, but I think the Moto with the build I have on it know can do you most of what the Reign would be able to do.

I just came from Boyne Highlands Bike Park and even thought the Moto did ok, I just feel a full on 7"-8" bike with a slacker geo would have served me better.
    Where else are you planning to ride. I mean a regular 5-6 inch bike is money for places like palos/farmdale/kettle moraine, even the lift access stuff like mt. morris or marquette (never been to boyne, can't comment). But if you want something more rugged I'd get a mini-dh bike, something with the slacker geo but 6ish inches of travel. IF you're not planning on road tripping to places like snowshoe or windrock regularly a full on DH or FR bike my gather more dust than mud. You'll find the extra effort for pedaling isn't worth the extra travel/weight/comfort

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i know it's not part of your choices, but i'd totally suggest going another route and grabbing one of the used bottlerockets people have like on pinkbike...one that doesn't have a 7in fork. I've been riding my blindside all season and borrowed my buddy's BR for a resort today and i was extremely impressed. I had a ton more fun than on my BS. the travel feels bottomless, it's easy to throw around, and i did an xc trail better than my friends with xc bikes when i raised the seat.

if you're set on those bikes, i'd suggest the big hit. It pedals better than the others and it's most likely lighter. the ride on the 7pt series feels odd to me for some reason, but the big hit sits higher and is pretty sick

Capricious youth...
    7point.

Excellent parts spec., excellent build quality, easy to maintain, and I've seen 2006 7point5's for as cheap as $1,100 in as-new condition.
    Meh.

Members who have read this thread: 0