Broken Rocky Mountain Switch?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Broken Rocky Mountain Switch?

To make a long storie short, i am talking to a friend who is thinking of buying a 2002 RM switch. I seem to remember hearing about breakige in the linkage/swingarm area and wanted to know if u guys had any recolection of this ( i will show him it after some replies...) and yes i tried a search and got one thing about a broken RM7 but that is it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    please guysm any imput would be appreciated. Not a big fan of making people wait...
    what were is gnarcal

go big or go home
    if he can get a cheap deal he should go for it, otherwise look into something better

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    please guysm any imput would be appreciated. Not a big fan of making people wait...
    Wow its been 53min. Settle down.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    well i have herd people braking it b4 but warrenty should take care of it. Like the other guy said. if he can get a good price, he should go for it.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    well i have herd people braking it b4 but warrenty should take care of it. Like the other guy said. if he can get a good price, he should go for it.
    Uh, used bikes don't have warranties and RM warranty is only 6 months, BTW.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    My bad. I thought the warrent was longer.

DOME Freeride Mafia

Good job! I had an '02 RM Switch...

I bought it new from the shop I was working at in Bozeman. I'm 6' 2", 215 lb, and I definitely know how to beat the shnit out of a bike. While in Bozeman, I did a ton of trail riding, a urban FR, BMX track jumping, and concrete skate park riding. I rode the bike pretty hard up until this summer when I moved to NM. That's when I noticed that the bike was creaking - it it only did it when I was sitting and it sounded like the noise was emanating from the seatpost/clamp area. Next ride, I decided to give a looky-looky and I noticed that the frame was broken in not one, not two, but three places. The frame had fatigued right where the rear shock attaches to the frame. One more piece of metal broken and my asss would have been in a world of hurt when I hit the 15' drop here in town... It looked like a bit of a design error un RM's behalf; they placed too large of triangular holes in the braces. I ended up calling RM and working out a deal with them (I don't work in a shop anymore) and got myself the Richie Schley switch - awesome bike! All that aside, I would still go with a RM any day of the week. I put some serious stress on the bike and it still held up for a long time. Two thumbs up for RM in spite of the broken frame. The only shitty thing about the '02 switch was some of the components (cough, cough, Manitou!, cough, cough) sucked asss. Depending on the price and condition, I'd say go for it. Hope this helps. BTW, I've never heard of the linkage breaking on a switch; I have, however, seen three cases first-hand of their slayers breaking at the chainstay.

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    Something in the back of my head says that the 02 switches broke more than the later ones, but I can't for the life of me think of a concrete reason behind it.

I know that the leverage on the old rm6/7s with the thrustlink chainstays was crazy high, and know that those issues were fixed when the switch replaced them, I don't know what (if any) changes were made from year to year of the switches that would make any model year brake (edit: or break) more than any other.

I do ride an 03 flow and have been nuts about the craftmanship on the frame. I'm thinking of getting a new switch later this winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know quite a few guys that ride (or used to ride) the '02 Switches. Solid bikes, nobody ever had a problem with them. Never heard of any breakage problems, but that doesn't mean they didn't happen. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I wouldn't doubt that someone has broken one at some point, but I would bet that it's an isolated case, and not a design problem. They are pretty beefy bikes...nothing fancy, but a solid machine. If your buddy likes the feel and the price is right, should be a good deal

mtbr member
    yeah, thanks guys, but you are right, i was thinking of the RM7 and such, my bad...
    what were is gnarcal

DOME Freeride Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdukeferdinand
    Something in the back of my head says that the 02 switches broke more than the later ones, but I can't for the life of me think of a concrete reason behind it.

I know that the leverage on the old rm6/7s with the thrustlink chainstays was crazy high, and know that those issues were fixed when the switch replaced them, I don't know what (if any) changes were made from year to year of the switches that would make any model year brake (edit: or break) more than any other.

I do ride an 03 flow and have been nuts about the craftmanship on the frame. I'm thinking of getting a new switch later this winter.
    The major difference that I saw between my '02 Switch and the Richie Schley edition, aside from the fact that they use their DH tube set on the Schley, was that they beefed up (in thickness) the supports that span between the down-tube and the top-tube/seat-tube. They also moved the triangular holes away from where the rear shock attaches, leaving a lot more metal in that area. They also imporved thier shock pivots - they stopped using a 1/4" bolt that acts as both bearing and clamp (typically, you're not supposed to use bolts in shear). That, plus other changes (like adding an extra inch of rear wheel travel ) make the newer Switches super-sweet rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For some reason, I'm thinking that the Schley edition had a 1-1/8 HT while the others had the 1.5"...is that right, or am I smoking crack?

DOME Freeride Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    For some reason, I'm thinking that the Schley edition had a 1-1/8 HT while the others had the 1.5"...is that right, or am I smoking crack?
    I don't know, are you smoking crack? Regardless of your state of intoxication, you're partly right. The Schley has a 1-1/8" HT whereas the Switch Pro had the 1.5" HT. The Switch SL and Switch both had the 1-1/8" HT. I wanted the 1-1/8" setup so that I didn't have to go out a buy a new fork, headset and stem. As it turned out, I broke my fork on my second ride on my Schley (glad to see that POS Manitou black gone). If there were more than just a couple of forks adn headsets with the 1.5" system, I may have gone for the Switch Pro frame, but I didn't want to deal with having a system that I only had a very limited number of parts that I could use. Could've gone with a 1.5--1-1/8 converter headset, but I thought that too was pointless, especially because I had a CK HS that has a least 35 more years of riding in it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay, I see. I know they've changed things around in terms of the HT over the years. I just looked at the RM site, looks like they got rid of the 1.5 HT altogether for '05...