Broken Collar Bone- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Broken Collar Bone

I broke my collar bone last night and smashed my helmet. At least I didn't smash my head. I know I won't be riding for a long while but I am wondering what kind of protective gear would help prevent this from happening agian? Pressure suit or Hard shell moto style vest? What brand? I will try and get some carnage pics up soon.

https://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/265841collar.jpg[/Ihttps://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/265841helmet2.jpg
    https://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/5...841helmet2.jpg
    Last edited by kadeater; 10-13-2005 at 08:04 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry to hear...healing vibes to you......pressure suits and Azonic Z-6 would help
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Got Doubles? Pun Intended
    Mar 2005
    Is there really anything that will save a colar bone???
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pamela Anderson

"Freeriderizzle is soo haut right now"

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderizzle
    Is there really anything that will save a colar bone???
    Altough I am a real fan of Dainese body armor I have to agree, there is not much that will save a collar bone. On just the right it body armor might help but it doesn't reduce the force (just spreads it out a bit) on the collar bone. Heal up quick.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    same thing happened to me bro, my left collar bone.

just dont push yourself to do anything

cause then youll crew up the healing

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

broke as a joke

i broke my collar boke five weeks ago. snapped it in the middle. lay low, watch movies, kick the pills & ice. you will be fine in two months. i ride moto x as well & there is no preventive protection for a collar bone. it mostly breaks due to extreeem impact. heal up

irie

Some Assembly Required
    Broke or seperated? Broke=better than seperated. Broke heals solid w/o lingering probs, seperated means you might have probs later, especially if you "booger it up" again.

Listen to the advice to let it heal completely. It'll be worth every sec. of down time it takes to get bk to 100%. Start riding too soon & crash it again & you may end up w/probs other than not riding. Boogered up both of mine, broke the left, seperated both. Shoulders basically "float". No good anchor points at the ends of the collar bones.

Good Luck.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ya i broke my clavicale its been 3weeks of the 4 weeks he said it would take to heal, and i took the sling off and just be careful of bumping things in and make sure you dont get on your bike anytime soon w/o the ok from the doc. becuase itll prolong healing and such!
    ride bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    sorry to hear about your fall. even though it's hard to, let things heal before getting back out there. i've been sitting around for two months with a broken back. the doctor told me at the very earliest 3 months, but more like 6 before i am supposed to ride again. down time is a bummer.

Adobo Lover
    That sucks. Bone is usually healed within 6 weeks. The good thing is you shouldn't break it in the same spot, because it is stronger at that break point once it's healed. Your body lays down more bone in the area. Unfortunately, there is no solution to prevent breaking a colar bone. If you landed on your shoulder or fall with an outstretched arm, force going toward the middle of your body, you could break your collarbone too. If you hit the collar bone from the front at the point where it curves into like a S, it's weakest point, it could break. I had a kineisology prof who was a judo instructor, he pointed that out. You might be able to prevent it from the front but the only way to prevent it from breaking from the side would be tucking your shoulder in when you fall rather than doing the natural thing as sticking your arm out. Your scapula, big bone in your upper back is covered with a thick muscle. It is rare that people break that bone(car accidents, that type of forces). It will heal if you let it, the only downside would be that you have a permanent bump on your collar bone. Hope this helps.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    That sucks man, if you want to speed healing up by 4 times just go to hardware store and get some JB weld.
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    That sucks man, if you want to speed healing up by 4 times just go to hardware store and get some JB weld.

Thanks I will have to give that a try. I can't belive I didn't think of that. How bout duct tape?

Just Ride
    3 weeks and you'll feel fine again, mark my words. all the doctors and everyone i spoke to when i busted mine said 3 weeks and sure as sh!t at three weeks (to the day) it started feeling pretty good, sling came off and all. you still gotta be ultra careful with it. its been over three months for me and i still try to treat it nicely. whenver someone even pretends to punch me i immedietly cover up my collar bone. my doctor told me no bikes or contact sports for 6 to 9 months but yeah that seemed at little excessive. so im back to normal riding now.

its cool though now my busted one is really big and burly. like atleast 3 times the size of my other one. and not just at the break either, the whole thing is way reinforced.

mtbr member
    Lots of injuries lately. That sucks to hear bro....like everyone said, take your time and heal up good before you push it. 6 weeks off is better than never being able to ride again.

That's the only cool thing about injury reports here...the one thing everyone always says is how we can't wait to get healed up so we can ride again. Shows a lot of heart IMO.

Best wishes bro!!
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kadeater
    I broke my collar bone last night and smashed my helmet. At least I didn't smash my head. I know I won't be riding for a long while but I am wondering what kind of protective gear would help prevent this from happening agian? Pressure suit or Hard shell moto style vest? What brand? I will try and get some carnage pics up soon.

https://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/265841collar.jpg[/Ihttps://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/265841helmet2.jpg
    https://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/5...841helmet2.jpg
    I have a neck brace thing made for moto. It ties onto your topsuit and doesn't let your helmet hit your collar bone. It's pretty uncomfortable so I don't really use it But ya. I've broken my c bone twice from riding so I know your pain man. but vicodins good, right? (that stuff doesn't even do anything to me now.)
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    BTDT, collar bone will heal fast dont sweat it. I have 3 days left in my two casts for two broken wrists

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hope you heal soon man...Maybe this will help a bit try drinking high calcium non-fat milk if its ok with you and your stomach...I think it help strengthen the bones...also when you heal up completely try doing some weights trainning especially the shoulders so that you'll have more support on your collar bones.

Members who have read this thread: 0