Brodie: Too Good to Pass up?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Brodie: Too Good to Pass up?

Hi all. I've been a user of MTBR for years but never joined. I decided today was the day (guess that makes me a newb). I'm looking for some feedback on a potential deal. I found a BRAND NEW Brodie Gigolo frame from 06, complete with Fox RP3 rear shock and floating rear brake for under $400! I know this frame/bike sold for way more than that back in the day. I found some information out there, but not a lot. Some people think it's ugly (oddly enough I kinda like it, maybe because it's so unique compared to what's out there now). I have almost everything I need to build it up laying around, sans a 1.5 fork. Anyone have any experience with this bike? What do you think of the looks? Any problems with buying an older bike? What do you think? (good or bad, doesn't matter, let it all out)

For those of you who haven't seen one, I found this picture in a MTBR gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brodie: Too Good to Pass up?-brodie.jpg  

Last edited by kubikeman; 06-04-2010 at 01:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good deal for a fresh frame even if it's a few years old.

Especially so since you've got most of the parts.

Used 1.5" Totems are plentiful and there are lots of good ones for $300-$400.

I have never ridden that bike, but I love big bikes that you can pedal( VP Free fan).

It looks different, but not bad. Lots and lots of real freakshow longer travel designs out there, and compared to some of them, the Brodie looks good.

mtbr member
    The ability to pedal the bike definitely jumped out at me too. I had a trek session 77 and that thing was a tank. I like the idea of a bike that can take some punishment and still be "light."

mtbr member
    I have no idea on price, but looking at the geometry/specs from the Brodie site it looks like both a heavy bike as well as a pretty steep head angle for the kind of bike it is. The HA is 68 degrees on that thing with a 170mm fork. Personally I would look for something a little more up to date in terms of geo, but if you really like it then go for it. Good luck

mtbr member
    Hmmm. I didn't notice that. I believe, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, the bike has two travel settings. With the bike in the lower setting and forks like the Domain or Lyrik hitting 180mm of travel, I bet I could slacken the HA by a degree. Though it would be no where near such icons as the Kona Stinky's 64 degree HA. Definitely something to consider...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman
    Hi all. I've been a user of MTBR for years but never joined. I decided today was the day (guess that makes me a newb). I'm looking for some feedback on a potential deal. I found a BRAND NEW Brodie Gigolo frame from 06, complete with Fox RP3 rear shock and floating rear brake for under $400! I know this frame/bike sold for way more than that back in the day. I found some information out there, but not a lot. Some people think it's ugly (oddly enough I kinda like it, maybe because it's so unique compared to what's out there now). I have almost everything I need to build it up laying around, sans a 1.5 fork. Anyone have any experience with this bike? What do you think of the looks? Any problems with buying an older bike? What do you think? (good or bad, doesn't matter, let it all out)

For those of you who haven't seen one, I found this picture in a MTBR gallery.
    Those frames snap around the headtube according to a former Brodie rider. I saw one in the LBS and he showed me how thin the material is because it lacks proper gussets.

Members who have read this thread: 0