British Columbia- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

British Columbia

If you were to take a trip to BC would you go to whistler or recommend other bike parks (Fernie, Silver Star, Sun peaks) to avoid the crowds??

mtbr member
    I would go to Whistler because it is the best bike park on Earth, hands-down.

In all seriousness, I've never found crowding to be an issue there -- even during Crankworx. There is so much @%#%-damn real-estate to ride there, people spread out. The lifts are very fast too; great at moving lots of riders fast. That said, I probably wouldn't go during Crankworx because it does get kind of crazy. The last time I went up there I did so many laps in one day (without being used to it), I ended up with tendinitis from the arm pump and had to sit out for over a month once I got home.

Also, if you go to Whistler, also stop and ride Vancouver and Squamish. I'd actually rather ride the North Shore than anywhere else in the world. That's where you go when bike parks are too "easy."

Fernie is great too -- but over 12 hours away from Whistler. I did an epic trip through B.C. one time and went from Montana to Nelson, then Vancouver, Whistler, Lillooet, and finally Kamloops. After that, I felt like I'd driven halfway around the world. I learned that it's better to pick one area and spend your time there.
    Bikes belong in Wilderness areas.:)

Glad to Be Alive
    Whistler....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

9 lives
    I've only visited the interior B.C... the Okanagan. We went with a guide. The only lift access bike park was Silverstar, which is a really nice place to ride. But the best places were where locations the locals ride: Naramata, Pentiction, Kelowna, Westbank etc. These were hidden gems accessible by shuttle. The bonus was that almost every trail down the mountains ended at a vineyard/winery. We went late summer and the weather was dry and warm.

We would definitely go back.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Professional Troll
    Sun peaks is unreal...if you like real DH. Steep, LONG runs. It's awesome. Better in some ways than Whistler. Whistler is still better in terms of pure variety and intermediate jump lines. Sun Peaks is more "experts only". Not to say that they don't have some good beginner/intermediate riding. But they definitely more catered to the advanced rider than the intermediate. Some of the blue trails had 15 foot doubles, steep rollers, and big fade away step downs. Definitely harder than Whistler's blues.

Silver Star is also great. It's best jump lines are better than Whistlers best IMO. It's DH type single track is worse IMO. More flat-ish stuff that isn't quite as well laid out. You could spend a week at nay of these resorts though. You can't go wrong.